Transporting gun on the plane

The Mega Bear

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey everyone,

First post here so be gentle,

Iv'e recently moved to England from Tenerife and want to take my CYMA AK74u with me.

I do not have a UKARA license and i'm flying with Norwegian Airlines and flying into Gatwick if that helps.

I was thinking of two-toning it, or dissembling it and taking it in parts but i really have no idea what to do.

Thanks for your help guys and have a great day.

• Supporters

You'll need to provide some sort of defence against the VCRA. Not having UKARA registration (it's not a licence before everyone else starts shouting about it) isn't the end of the world but it's the easiest way of proving why you're allowed to have a RIF.

Secondly you'll need to contact the airline and clear it with them. It'll most likely have to be in your checked luggage so you'll need to include any supporting documentation in the case with it for when it gets opened.

Not sure how much of the advice here is relevant because it comes from the TSA but: http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/topic/77390-so-you-want-to-travel-on-an-airplane-with-your-airsoft-gun/ worth a look.

• Supporters

I'd two tone it to be safe as well... Let my g17 in without any issues because it was.

as above, to bring the gun into the UK as it is, will require you, the owner, to have a valid defence as prescribed under the VCRA (Violent Crime Reduction Act) to demonstrate that you will use the RIF in a safe manner.

Lets put the airline aside for a moment, and concentrate on the legal side:

1) a UKARA REGISTRATION (not licence, as Lozart said) is the easiest way to obtain a defence, though probably not possible given your situation. is it possible to leave the RIF with a friend or relative for a couple of months whilst you "earn" your UKARA registration?

2) there are other defences, which might be worth looking into, you can read the particular part of the VCRA HERE and the amendment HERE. On the second link, search for the word Airsoft and you will find what you need.

3) if you can paint the gun so that it appears unrealistic (ignore the myth about having to paint 51% of the gun) you can import it as an IF provided that you are 18 or older. just make sure that you apply come common sense, paint something that isnt covered when you hold the replica, and use a bright colour that doesnt incorporate a camouflage.

really, if i were you, id give the relevant parts of the VCRA and te documents in the second link a read, you should be able to figure out the best way of keeping your RIF that suits your own personal circumstances, and remember, most people on here will help you, just ask us ;)

Welcome to our community :D

EDIT: the second part i forgot to write:

As for the Airline, they may well be a little nervous about allowing an imitation firearm onto an aircraft, but after explaining what you intend to do well ahead of time, and transporting the RIF safely should sort all that out.

First, ring the airline and ask if it is possible, explain exactly what you intend to carry, and make it clear that you want it to go into the hold, and not into the cabin with you :P

then make sure it is kept in a suitable container, id personally put it into a hard case, locked securely. you can expect the lock to be broken when you get it off the carousel, as the security teams at both airports will probably want to inspect it to ensure that it isnt real (use a TSA padlock and they can open it without breaking it). keep a note in the case that explains what it is, that it is incapable of handling or discharging any form of ammunition other than lightweight BBs, that its muzzle energy is at or around 1j and that it is used for airsoft skirmishing. if you dont paint it, put your UKARA details in there as well, including Name, Full Address, UKARA number and any other details you can think of

once you get to the airport, hand the case/bag over when you check in and explain what the contents are, so that they can make sure that it doesnt cause a scare later on down the conveyors

and most of all, think of everybody that will handle or see the case/bag after you hand it over, and make sure that they have no reason to keep it from you.

it goes without saying that the RIF should be inert, with no battery loaded and ideally, the magazines stored in a separate compartment or even a separate container

and NEVER

EVER

use the word "Gun" "Firearm" or "Weapon" at the airport, whilst youre carrying a gun bag or gun case. Also DO NOT remove it from the case. if the check in clerk or security ask to see it, explain that it is an RIF and that you should take it to a private room first

• 5 years later...

Hello guys!

Now that the UK left the EU I kinda got into troubles. I would like to bring in UK my Airsoft weapon collection (I will have two-tone them because I don't have the UKARA defense yet) but I would love to take them in the checked luggage. Do you know any airlines that will accept that? (I have checked with Wizz Air, and they don't allow it)

And if sending them with a courier, means that I have to pay the courier+custom fees+vat....

Thank you in advance

13 hours ago, Andreii said:

Hello guys!

Now that the UK left the EU I kinda got into troubles. I would like to bring in UK my Airsoft weapon collection (I will have two-tone them because I don't have the UKARA defense yet) but I would love to take them in the checked luggage. Do you know any airlines that will accept that? (I have checked with Wizz Air, and they don't allow it)

And if sending them with a courier, means that I have to pay the courier+custom fees+vat....

Thank you in advance

I would check on the customs fee and VAT thing, it is your property being moved between countries for your own use. No different to taking a suitcase of clothes on holiday with you :) I would see about using a shipping firm (as used to move peoples belongings when emigrating) rather than a commercial courier who seem to slap spurious charges on everything and have awful customer service!

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Andreii said:

So it's not ok to take them on the plane (hold luggage)? Thank you

Check with your airline, some are fine with it.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.