Experience with Bfg's?

Cady

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

i use a similar BFG from Dynatec (or Dynatex... dunno), its great fun, but never expect a kill, all to often people get out of range or find some cover...

here are some lessons ive learned

• .209 primers are plenty, even outdoors, esiecially when they are about 1/4 the price of 9mm blanks
  • just because your grenade isnt loaded, doesnt mean its no use, throw a dead one around a corner (with the pin removed... else an eagle eyed defender will get wise) and step round after it to shoot the defenders in the back
  • put the pin on a retractable lanyard or something so you dont lose it, or buy many spares
  • DO NOT LOSE THE LOADING TOOL
  • never use a random metal object to re-prime the grenade, the dimple is important
  • make sure that youre 110% confident with the delay timer before you think about cooking them, even on .209s these little fuckers can do some damage. if the grenade goes of prematurely EVER, then its not safe to cook, many people will say that cooking a bfg is stupid anyway, and they might be right, but i personally cook them for a little over a second (leaving just over 2 seconds of hang time)
  • never throw it AT anyone, the lead marshal at F&O once told a story of someone who saw another player prone near a door, and then pelted his impact BFG at the ground right next to her head. its stories like that that risk getting our toys banned for good, and there is a court case going on down south right now involving one skirmisher claiming compensation from another after being twatted with one of these things

I dont mean to preach or drone on, but ive lost my pin too many times and fooled too many people with an unloaded BFG (and even an empty mag for that matter) not to share

As for OPs question. that BFG is pretty much an updated version of the Dynatex BFG. Been around for ages and ages. But I'd hold off a bit, apparently some guys are making one where you can load 6 shots or something into it, then just twist n click in between throws.

• DO NOT LOSE THE LOADING TOOL

^^^^That. used to tape a paracord lanyard to mine. thou you can buy em from swat now.

• Supporters

Personally I use an oshiboom when I want an impact grenade and a dynatex when I want a timed one. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. One thing I will say is I hate reloading the dynatex in the field whilst the oshiboom is pretty easy to reload and doesn't rely on a tool to prime the striker - the manual recommends using a coin to prime it then using spent blanks after that, personally I just use my thumb.

Timed can be thrown/slid a much greater distance and aren't reliant on a hard surface to detonate. However due to the timer players who have their wits about them will run away when it comes into their vicinity.

Impact have a shorter range but go off instantly, they are somewhat to extremely reliant on the surface they land on depending on the make you buy. I've seen oshibooms go off in mud but it isn't guaranteed.

My recommendation would be impact for primarily urban play or timed for more of a mix, although I wouldn't be keen on chucking my dynatex anywhere it might merrily roll off into a bush :)

As TheGrover mentions 209 shotshell primers are much cheaper, it's also much easier to find places selling them compared to 9mm blanks. Whilst they are about half the size I can't notice much of a difference in the sound they produce.

Can't give any experience but I'd take a look at TRMRs, no pin or spoon to get lost like the others. Uses shotgun primers rather than 9mm / 12g Blanks so it's cheaper to run.

There's at least two new BFGs coming out soon though as well.

• Supporters

I have an OhShiBoom, I've been using it about 18 months now and love it.

All of the impacts have a reliance on hitting something fairly solid and occasionally fail to go off. But their massive advantage in CQB is that when they go off its instant. The down side of traditional pyro and the timed bfg's are that if someone knows its coming they can get out of the way before it goes off.

In woodland I wouldn't bother with a bfg, mainly because I like having the range a mk5 can give me, you can throw those full pelt into people and they wont hurt. If they went off on them that might be a different story, I've seen one hit a guys shoulder and go off causing no damage other than temporary hearing loss. I've got good 10 or 15m lobs on them from time to time.

My safety pin is on a retractable lanyard which is secured outside the pouch the ohshi fits in but I also carry a spare. At the moment I'm still working through the box of 50 9mm blanks I got but I will be buying the smaller shotgun primers and adapter shortly. My 9mm blanks are held in a pair of bianchi speed strips which I keep on a length of paracord tied to my belt and in my right pocket. If careful when reloading you don't need any tools just put the blank in the adapter, screw in slowly then press the wobble top gently and reinsert the pin.

But 50 9mm blanks and an oshi works out cheaper than 50 tlsfx mk5's. So in my head it's paid for itself. I might even buy a second one shortly but it will be shotgun primers all the way from now on.

TRMR for inside, no pins, simple to reload, bangs every time and individually numbered so they can be identified.

You can even get a 3 shot version now.

Fits into a 40mm grenade pouch.

Mk5s for outside, no worries about losing them and you can have the realistic feeling of actually throwing it at the enemy.

• Supporters

Oooooo TRMR with a 3 shot adapter!!! Looks like my new bfg will be one of those, not the aphatech or innovate airsoft one, although their tripwire function looks cool as well.

I bought a TRMR last summer, and I lost it in the woods. The second TRMR I had hasn't seen much use. I used it a fair bit in the school and in Bunker 51 but since I haven't been to either of late I haven't found much use for it outside. Its worth noting that impact grenades are basically useless in the mall, they are all but banned. Most sites have quite a lot of concerns around these big heavy BFGs and rightly so, it hurts quite a bit when they hit you and someone lobbed it at you.

So actually out in the woods I have mostly used smoke grenades, not really even mk5's. In the mall I didn't end up using anything because the BFG was worthless and I let off about 10 rounds between the school and the mall.

IMO getting one depends very much on what type of game you play. I started mostly with CQB and indoors and the BFG was more use there (the mall being a notable exception where it needs to be timed not impact).But in woodland I don't even bother taking it, you can't use them or throw them far enough to make it worthwhile.

Having been inside the industrial unit and seen there new CNC machines and Wateriest and Lasers I can assure you they can produce them. They are an Airsoft Business as well, it isn't a sideline.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.