How cool would this be for an airsoft site! :D

Guest PT247

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Ill start a kick starter campaign.

Dunno.

Not sure it would feel right airsofting in a place where people had fought and died for real...

I think it would be cool to have a purpose built area like that. But i hope whoever buys it leaves it as it is,i like seeing historical things being preserved.

Dunno.

Not sure it would feel right airsofting in a place where people had fought and died for real...

True. It'd be good to have something like that built, though.

• Supporters

I'm pretty sure I've seen videos on youtube of somewhere like that already being used by an airsoft place. Was either Scotland or somewhere on the channel islands

Some mates and I did a driving tour of the north coast of France (up to Holland) looking at such coastal bunkers etc and every single one was littered with BB's, beer cans and occasional crack/smack debris. So for an airsoft site looks like it'd just be making it legal as seems to happen anyways!

Coolest place we visited was the bunker/factory complex where they launched the V2's. I did feel robbed having seen the website which shows what appears to be a genuine V2 sat in a launch bay. When we got there turned out it was a picture of one on a drape... that place would be epic for airsoft!

P.S. In my opinion its no more unfitting to play airsoft in a WW2 bunker than it is to dress as a soldier to play airsoft at all!

I think a few different issues should be considered here:

1.) Playing Airsoft in a Second World War bunker.

This is fine in my opinion, sometimes.

But to me, there is a difference between an old reserve airfield bunker in Lancashire, and the business end of Fortress Europa. It's all about context...

A cops vs. robbers Airsoft game at The Mall, Reading - no problem, yeah? But how about a cops vs. robbers Airsoft game at the Westgate Shopping Mall, Nairobi? There's a difference...

2.) People dressing as soldiers to play airsoft.

Are people dressing as soldiers, or characters? If it's the former (and of course some do), I think that in itself is often distasteful. If they are dressing as characters in a game however, it's different (to me at least).

I guess it all comes down to the various shades of mil-sim vs. skirmish on the sliding scale of acceptability.

Mil-sim may entail NATO vs. terrorist - a pretty superficial concept, not much more advanced than a child's goodies vs. baddies approach - its just a vehicle for one group of players to play the game against another group of players perhaps. But when people start dressing up to play 40 Commando vs. Taliban Musa Qala forces or the like, I think it crosses a line...

3.) The combination of these.

I can't get my head around the scale of trivualisation that the 're-enactor' core of Airsoft descending on the Normandy bunkers to shoot plastic at one another would be...

I don't mean to get preachy- but I'm just trying to say that staying on the palatable side of that sliding scale of acceptability is often down to the context, and recognising where distinctions should be made.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.