Overwhelmed by the amount of selection, any recommendations?

samhughel

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello everyone,

I know this question is asked a lot around here but I couldn't really find a complete answer saying that these guns are the best at this price point for my scenario, apologies if I missed a post though!

Lets get to the point, I'll be using this on mostly outdoor fields with a bit of CQB

• Budget around about £300 ish
  • preferably something on the M4 platform
  • Good quality bit of kit by a decent manufacturer
  • lots of potential for accessories i.e. - rails or can upgrade to better rails

I've seen a lot of posts around saying get the G&G Combat Machine but as much budget is a bit higher I'm guessing there are better alternatives to start off with?

A few questions

Been researching and some decent brands seem to be G&P, ICS, Ares, G&G etc. Are they any good?

Personally been looking at the Ares Honey badger is this a good choice?

If I spent an extra £100 - £150 on a gun over something like the combat machine am I getting that much more gun? is it worth the extra money?

Would it be better getting a slightly cheaper gun then getting my local shop to upgrade the gun so it performs better?

If you could give me some recommendations that would be great!

Thanks

TL;DR - Overwhelmed by the amount of selection, have a budget of £300, any recommendations?

G&P or G&G Top Tech for M4 variants.

Dont forget to include battery, charger and accessories like optics, suppressors, foregrip, etc in your budget calculations.

G&P or G&G Top Tech for M4 variants.

Dont forget to include battery, charger and accessories like optics, suppressors, foregrip, etc in your budget calculations.

Thanks for the recommendations

Yeah have been doing the up to £300 is just for the gun obviously ideally I'd prefer lower but I'm not opposed to spending the extra money if I'm going to get a decent bit of kit

• Supporters

2 x G&G M4's but then I would say that

Or get 1 mofo gun and hopefully it will work perfectly forever

could get 2 different types: M4 AK G36 but if you got the money

2 guns say CM18 & CM16 carbine, then you got same mags etc...

heck get a Long Raider or Carbine for woods & FireHawk or Short Raider for cqb

but no doubt you will get loads of various suggestions, but myself I like a few decent cheap ones

rather than me pay more for gun when I'm still so crap at this airsofting malarky

or just 1 cheaper G&G, Gas pistol, BFG, decent loadout - blah blah blah

(would say cheap short raider for rails, rest of dosh on some gear 2 x batteries to see how you go)

Guest PT247

At around £300 for the gun you are very almost in PTS ERG RM4 territory, the CQB variant I believe is £320ish (don't be put off by it being a CQB variant - I use mine in woodland very effectively). I have had many guns of most the brands you mentioned but the PTS out performs all the previous guns I've owned AND has recoil!

You could always try for a 2nd hand TM Recoil? Or, I noticed that Landwarrior (Sold out at the mo) have the DEVGRU at £435 which would be amazing! (If you want to stick to the M4 ((It's a 416)) style).

I had the G&G T4-18, great Top tech rifle but far too picky with ammo and mags!

You could always try for a 2nd hand TM Recoil? Or, I noticed that Landwarrior (Sold out at the mo) have the DEVGRU at £435 which would be amazing! (If you want to stick to the M4 ((It's a 416)) style).

I had the G&G T4-18, great Top tech rifle but far too picky with ammo and mags!

By picky are you meaning they will only work with there mags? So more expensive/harder to get hold of?

The T418 is one I'm looking at after the recommendations.

The DEVGRU is a tad expensive I would have sacrifice the gbb pistol and some other kit to get that ;/

Which one? Had a little search this morning and there seemed to be quite a few different variants.

The TR16/T418 ?

they all use the same internals its just what style you like most

By picky are you meaning they will only work with there mags? So more expensive/harder to get hold of?

The T418 is one I'm looking at after the recommendations.

The DEVGRU is a tad expensive I would have sacrifice the gbb pistol and some other kit to get that ;/

When the gun worked it was really good but I just couldn't find a mag that would feed reliably. If you're going to run hi caps then the one that comes with it is fine (Although it needs to be wound more than usual) but I prefer mid caps, G&G don't make mid caps that work with the T4, some people swear by the Mag brand ones, I used them and had real inconsistant feed problems, misfeeds etc.. others say different. I gave up, bought a TM Scar and the uber expensive PTS Pmags, never had one single misfeed!

When the gun worked it was really good but I just couldn't find a mag that would feed reliably. If you're going to run hi caps then the one that comes with it is fine (Although it needs to be wound more than usual) but I prefer mid caps, G&G don't make mid caps that work with the T4, some people swear by the Mag brand ones, I used them and had real inconsistant feed problems, misfeeds etc.. others say different. I gave up, bought a TM Scar and the uber expensive PTS Pmags, never had one single misfeed!

Things like this put me off it ;/

I'd rather spend the money on something more expensive in that case then

• Supporters

Things like this put me off it ;/

I'd rather spend the money on something more expensive in that case then

More money doesn't guarantee reliability. Also - this may be an isolated issue. I know a lot have people have complained about the G&G midcap mags but I know plenty of people that use the T4-18 regularly and have no issues whatsoever.

I don't like my T4-18, its not exactly high quality. The main issue I have with it is the charging handle has fallen apart twice, the accuracy and range are both poor and I have had numerous feeding issues with a variety of magazines. So far I can't say I have been impressed with either G&G gun, they work but they are kind of the budget option and the top tech is a bit meh for the price. My friends gun (G&P) shoots a lot further and more accurately out of the box frankly and also has none of the magazine feeding issues and his gun hasn't fallen apart mid game.

I don't know people keep recommending the G&G's and so far I have had to take both mine apart to make them work, found numerous QC issues, not actually been all that happy with the internals or the final results. That isn't to say other brands are better only G&G isn't exactly amazing either. If you have it spend more and get something with a bit more realism (like a PTS).

More money doesn't guarantee reliability. Also - this may be an isolated issue. I know a lot have people have complained about the G&G midcap mags but I know plenty of people that use the T4-18 regularly and have no issues whatsoever.

Yeah, I thought that way till I spoke to 3 other guys that had similar issues with their T4's. I have a feeling there's maybe a batch issue but as BrightCandle has told me for a while, he's been less than impressed. The fact that the G&G madcaps, don't fit (Without modification to the receiver) is a bit pi** take too!

I don't like my T4-18, its not exactly high quality. The main issue I have with it is the charging handle has fallen apart twice, the accuracy and range are both poor and I have had numerous feeding issues with a variety of magazines. So far I can't say I have been impressed with either G&G gun, they work but they are kind of the budget option and the top tech is a bit meh for the price. My friends gun (G&P) shoots a lot further and more accurately out of the box frankly and also has none of the magazine feeding issues and his gun hasn't fallen apart mid game.

I don't know people keep recommending the G&G's and so far I have had to take both mine apart to make them work, found numerous QC issues, not actually been all that happy with the internals or the final results. That isn't to say other brands are better only G&G isn't exactly amazing either. If you have it spend more and get something with a bit more realism (like a PTS).

Well that has definitely put me off them now...

• Supporters

Fair enough. All I can say is that all the G&Gs I've used have been excellent and reliable out of the box. I've not had the feed issues but then I don't use G&G midcaps (I use Dytacs - a magazine that again, plenty of others have criticised but I've had no issues with and neither have any of my friends that use them).

No manufacturer is perfect, I understand that (even TM make lemons) but there is a reason as to why G&G are so highly regarded by so many people. That's not to say that a decent CYMA AK can't outperform and outlast one for half the price but that by itself doesn't make the G&G a bad gun.

I've run my G&G SCAR plenty and it's been nothing but reliable and accurate. Between my close player mates there's two TGM A5s, a CQB mini, a GR4 G26 advanced, an F2010 and a T418 and they've all been absolutely fine. I can only speak from experience the same as you.

Well that has definitely put me off them now...

Oh yeah I forgot about the modification to the mag well, I had to grind down the spine on the back to even fit the magazines in it.

Fair enough. All I can say is that all the G&Gs I've used have been excellent and reliable out of the box. I've not had the feed issues but then I don't use G&G midcaps (I use Dytacs - a magazine that again, plenty of others have criticised but I've had no issues with and neither have any of my friends that use them).

No manufacturer is perfect, I understand that (even TM make lemons) but there is a reason as to why G&G are so highly regarded by so many people. That's not to say that a decent CYMA AK can't outperform and outlast one for half the price but that by itself doesn't make the G&G a bad gun.

I've run my G&G SCAR plenty and it's been nothing but reliable and accurate. Between my close player mates there's two TGM A5s, a CQB mini, a GR4 G26 advanced, an F2010 and a T418 and they've all been absolutely fine. I can only speak from experience the same as you.

The problem is cause its my first gun I'd rather not be pissing round just to get it to work how it was intended.

I have less clue now than before I asked the question! Lol...

• Supporters

Daft question......

your first gun - have you been airsofting yet ?

are you ukara'd

if you are not completely bitten by the skirmishing bug then I would suggest going a little easy

testing the water and getting just your toes/feet wet - rather than jump in the deep end with a mofo gun

I would say G&G CM as they offer excellent value for money, easy to work on/fix if they go wrong

but they are built very well - well I think so coz I have bought more of these than any others

if ANY gun goes tits up real quick then you should contact the shop you bought it from

(unless it has BB in its name - if so good luck getting chubby to help ya out)

seriously - considering many on here - myself included bought $hite BB site guns at first

I think you could do a lot worse - no a f*cking lot lot worse than say a £120 to £150 G&G

Daft question......

your first gun - have you been airsofting yet ?

are you ukara'd

if you are not completely bitten by the skirmishing bug then I would suggest going a little easy

testing the water and getting just your toes/feet wet - rather than jump in the deep end with a mofo gun

I would say G&G CM as they offer excellent value for money, easy to work on/fix if they go wrong

but they are built very well - well I think so coz I have bought more of these than any others

if ANY gun goes tits up real quick then you should contact the shop you bought it from

(unless it has BB in its name - if so good luck getting chubby to help ya out)

seriously - considering many on here - myself included bought $hite BB site guns at first

I think you could do a lot worse - no a f*cking lot lot worse than say a £120 to £150 G&G

Yes I would say I've caught the bug!

I've been a few times and just about to get my ukara when I go to my local site this Friday, ideally I'm looking to get as much as possible from patrol base as its my local shop.

I the issue before was I had bugger all money to get started with, now that isn't a massive issue so I was gonna get something really good. But I reckon your right to start off just a tad smaller then I can get pistol, attachments etc. All at once.

So you would recommend CM then? Or is there anything that a bit better for not much more

The problem is cause its my first gun I'd rather not be pissing round just to get it to work how it was intended.

I have less clue now than before I asked the question! Lol...

My T4 was my first gun and like you said, I WAS pissing about with it to the point that I just bought my TM Scar. What Sitting Duck says is correct though and I've fallen into the trap of buying a £500 AEG, £250 of mags then realized I prefer Sniping! lol... No way i'd ever get my money back on the scar so I'll keep it but it's money I could have spent on maybe another part of the hobby!

• Supporters

M4 wise G&G are the ones to get

G36 = JG

AK = Cyma

The above 3 examples are what they really excel in making great reliable value for money guns

I think most people will agree on that though I'm sure there maybe a few exceptions but is good rule of thumb

Luckily - with a G&G M4 you are spoilt for choice

Airsoft World have the 30th limited editions left @ £150 with metal receivers so great value G&G - GC16 is my fav of 2 30th's

(not mega rails on either but metal gun G&G deserves some serious consideration at least)

Raiders Long or Short are the usual starter guns @ £123 - polymer but very robust with plenty rail space

FireHawk - loud mofo, turns heads but maybe not best suited for long woodland engagements but taking bases or cqb they shine

CM18 - sexy 2-tone sweety with a 275 barrel that is in between the long & short raiders, polymer but damn nice, crappy midcap is its downfall

Carbine - mainly 363 barrel but there is a lite version with shorter 275 barrel - cheapest G&G but rail-less up front

the above G&G's are in effect just tarted up carbines - with more fancy front ends

same box/motor/hop but it is a very good lot of internals indeed

Even though a few - not many may have a little grief with a G&G, what you have to consider is these G&G's are like the Ford's of Airsoft

Everybody & their brother has them, probably 1 in 3 or 4 aeg's will be a CM out on the field, well depending on where you go

Suffice to say with so many G&G's out there you are bound to hear of the odd lemon going pear shape now & then.......

But in general I strongly believe they are still the best starter M4's out there

other differences between models:

raider/carbine dust cover doesn't drop down when ya pull on handle - sprung shut so pull down manually to adjust hop

carbine & 2x30th's are front wired in handguard

others are rear wired crane stock though FireHawk has battery in stock tube so thin stick battery needed

(or change stock to fixed stubby on a few of my G&G's to use almost any battery)

Just have a look around and what tickles your fancy - they are same stuff inside at end of the day

get a cheapo non blowback Green Gas pistol for £30 or even cheaper once you are ukara'd from poland

You should take a look at Ian's airsofting on a budget guide

if you choose carefully you will do more than alright without having to spend mega bucks first time around.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.