Noob looking for some tips!

infernouk

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Most sites will only have one type of gun, but perhaps you'll have a friendly site of over-armed people willing to let you try out their guns for a game.

On exposed skin you'll probably get a little blood blister and swelling/bruising like paintball at close range. With a layer of clothing you should only get a small red mark that'll fade within a week. For reducing the impact/pain I've found artificial fibres do better than cotton; density more effective than thickness of material. I have a light/thin layer waterproof jacket and that manages to prevent bb hits hurting at all whereas a thick jumper still stings.

I started off in jeans and a hoody and that did me fine, one thing you definitely want to get are gloves, either leather or ones with rubber/plastic shielding on the fingers. Nothing hurts more than a bb to the knuckle and very easy to split/fracture knuckles, and it's amazing how often get hit on the hands.

As for all the rigs/vests/pouches etc, I've found a belt with a couple mag pouches is plenty fit for purpose, and find a rig/vest cumbersome.

• Supporters

I'd get my hands on a cheapo combat shirt if I were you. I've played in a T-shirt before and it can welt horribly. You could play in a long sleeve t-shirt however those also tend to be made of a thin material. Combat shirts (even cheap ones, £25 or less) are usually made of thicker, sturdier fabrics- you're less likely to welt in them and the most you'll have are bruises.

There is a LOT of lightweight combat gear on the market- you don't have to have a full plate carrier covered in pouches, there's plenty of compact and lightweight chest rigs around. I'd suggest picking one of them up once you properly start airsofting, pockets are all well and good for 1 or 2 spare mags, but you'll probably need a chest rig / belt rig to carry more- same with spare batteries, speed loaders, extra BBs etc.

I have a couple of light rigs including a Tactical Tailor Mini MAV. Those are designed for bodyguards to wear under jackets or over body armour. Here's a pic of one:

And here's a full size plate carrier in comparison:

There are smaller plate carriers around, but with a full pouch load they're still quite bulky compared to rigs like the Mini MAV.

I have plate carrier setups that weight a lot less than the chest rigs many people run. This airsoft myth that weight is defined by equipment type needs to die.. it should've already (a long time ago). The weight and bulk of your load bearing equipment depends entirely on which rig you buy, the materials used in it, types of pouches you attach, the way those pouches are constructed and most importantly, above anything else, the equipment you put in those pouches.

Sure if you don't want anything on your back and aren't bothered about the coverage then don't get a PC, it's a few extra grams of cordura you don't need; but that picture you've used gives a rather biased impression.

If the weight of fabrics is a concern I wouldn't buy a combat shirt either. If the wearer is worried about coverage then standard PCS/BDU shirts that don't have the t-shirt material in the body are the better standard option, especially when not wearing a PC. Though either one is preferable to a hoody if you don't wanna swim in your own sweat, doubly so as the weather begins to warm up.

I just wear a chest rig. Not to expensive and can carry all the mags that I need. Really light too but that depends on how many mags you fill it with.

• 3 weeks later...

Have a look at what fps your local site allows before buying w gun.

I would reccomend having a go at your local site with a hire gun before you commit to buying one.

Instead of just looking at the gun you're going to buy. Have a look at the kit you will buy as well. When I first started I made the mistake of buying a g36 and a vest with built in m4 mag pouches.

If there is w gun I can recommend it is the combat machine M4. I bought that gun about three years ago and it has been my primary ever since. It's cheap, it's very good, it's very customisable and it has served me without fault.

Good luck and welcome to the airsoft world!

The mall in Reading, Bunker 51 in London, Urban Assault in Cambridgeshire and many more. Woodland in usually 350fps upwards depending on weapon used. A few CQB sites allow higher limits not many. Never played the stan so cant comment on that site.

He used the N word :o

• Supporters

I dint think I've ever been to a site that doesn't have a 350 fps limit at least.

I've never been to Reykjavik. Doesn't mean it isn't there.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.