Head gear

Cheeky vimto

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Most of you probably don't know that my head gear consists of helmet, glasses and lower mesh face mask. I've been using this for over a year now. There's a couple of problems I've encountered since playing this way:

-mesh mask feels like it's pushing my face through a siv

-loads of straps

-Glasses constantly fog up

-The small gaps between glasses and mesh/helmet seem to be a BB magnet

To over come some of these problems I padded out the mesh mask and connected the mask directly to the helmet to get rid of the straps. This made made a huge different in comfort. The last couple of weeks I've been noticing every head shot I take always seems to get me either in the forehead between my glasses and helmet or between my glasses and mask.

Trawling through youtube I seen a setup where the guy cut off the masks straps completly and used a balaclava or a thin buff type bandana to hold the mask into place. I've acquired some goggles and tried it and it completely covers my face now and it so much more comfy. I'm just wondering if anybody else has tried this? My worry is the bandana will hold in too much heat and it'll be like I'm playing in a constant down pour of sweat! I'm just after some opinions before I remould the mask and cut off the straps.

4TaN7d.jpg

As you can see I took a BB right between the eyes last week :P

• Supporters

To be honest unless you wear a full face mask you're ALWAYS going to get hit in that one tiny bit of unprotected skin. It's Sod's Law.

As for the sweat thing? Yeah, I hear you. The buff WILL make you sweat like a paedophile in Mothercare purely because it's going to restrict airflow.

Try using scrim netting

• Supporters

Have you ever tried it like this? I'm just trying to shape the mask now, see if it covers my nose a bit more.

No. Way too hot for me.

Does your mask not have a nose piece already?

You need some wire cutters or a Dremel and some hot glue (you need to be able to remelt it in the future incase you want to move it).

The elasticated edge of the mesh can be easily removed, try a hair dryer on it and then it will just peel away easily. Clean up the glue on it and then cut it to shape to fit your goggles.

Once your goggles fit your mesh mask better you will also want to reshape it so it contours to your face. A pair of pliers or just a bit of elbow grease and you can bend it about and get it to the shape of your face. It takes a bit of work overall, and it took me 3 goes to really get it the right shape under the goggles (be wary of the angle of the face mask compared to the goggles when you work out the shape) but once I did its been a lot more comfortable. I am going to cut a little off the bottom now so I can look down better and I also intend to remove the straps and replace with clips to my goggles if possible.

You need some wire cutters or a Dremel and some hot glue (you need to be able to remelt it in the future incase you want to move it).

The elasticated edge of the mesh can be easily removed, try a hair dryer on it and then it will just peel away easily. Clean up the glue on it and then cut it to shape to fit your goggles.

Once your goggles fit your mesh mask better you will also want to reshape it so it contours to your face. A pair of pliers or just a bit of elbow grease and you can bend it about and get it to the shape of your face. It takes a bit of work overall, and it took me 3 goes to really get it the right shape under the goggles (be wary of the angle of the face mask compared to the goggles when you work out the shape) but once I did its been a lot more comfortable. I am going to cut a little off the bottom now so I can look down better and I also intend to remove the straps and replace with clips to my goggles if possible.

Just finished it, but thanks anyway

• Supporters

Just finished it, but thanks anyway

I was going to echo what BC said up there. Glad you got it sorted!

I tried modifying my mesh lower face pro but fucked it up.

As there seem to be lots of slightly different designs, and lots of places to buy them from, where would you guys recommend?

Saw a guy at Halo a while back whose fitted perfectly with the goggles he had, but don't know where he got it. I think unless they're Desert Locusts or ESS Profiles (not both, just one of them I'm not sure which) the face pro won't fit them properly.

I actually have a Proto Switch mask as well but when it arrived I noticed it had a black mark on it...and it actually says in the manual IIRC to not use it if it has a black mark on the lens.

None of my lower mesh masks even remotely fit my Desert locusts. I doubt they fit under any set of goggles properly honestly, the nose is just too wide and the eye areas too shallow for anything but the smaller swimming like goggles, and those it usually leaves areas around the upper cheeks as well. I think honestly you have to customise them to get them fitting well.

ItoLRh.jpg

The gap above my nose is about a quarter of the size it was originally was. I think with more time I could get it 100% filled but I'll see how it goes with fogging up first.

Just get a black bear full mesh face mask. I use one your face doesnt get all sweatty they are comfy and you dont end up looking like you've got teenage acne at the end of a days airsoft. Only downside is you look you should be carrying a fencing sword.

I want to get into milsim, I doubt they'd allow a fencing mask! I know what you mean though, a friend of mine uses one and wouldn't be without.

I don't rate cat crap at all. I use washing up liquid, works a lot better.

A fan! I tried a variety of things but I just sweat too much for basic anti fog to work for me. I tried quite a few things including washing up liquid and it all ends up the same, the goggles don't fog initially but the water builds up and then I get a layer of water on the inside and I can't see very well. The fan in the desert locusts really helps, doesn't eliminate it but it helps a lot.

A fan! I tried a variety of things but I just sweat too much for basic anti fog to work for me. I tried quite a few things including washing up liquid and it all ends up the same, the goggles don't fog initially but the water builds up and then I get a layer of water on the inside and I can't see very well. The fan in the desert locusts really helps, doesn't eliminate it but it helps a lot.

I could look at mounting a fan on it. How loud is yours?

Here's the solution I found to be the best, I hate mesh but the good points outweigh the bad! The face mask is grip tied to the Nuprol goggles and then the nose section is filled with a piece of foam (Which takes the pressure off my nose) and hot glued at the top, no gaps!

B0B15196-DC94-4EE2-93B4-D517938A9C42_zps

4805CCF6-3CA1-4325-ABF7-793CD893EBD8_zps

I could look at mounting a fan on it. How loud is yours?

In the average game I can rarely hear it myself let alone people a metre away or two. I have to put it to my ear when I turn it on to confirm it is actually running because the safe zone is almost always too loud.

Out in the woods on my own I can hear it whirring away, but nobody has ever remarked on hearing the fan even when being next to me, they seem surprised its there and running at full speed.

But in Epsom bunker you could hear a single BB roll across the floor, in there it sounds like a helicopter is coming down the corridor.

Its really quiet, just not silent. I thought it would give me away sometimes but I don't think it actually has done so once yet.

Here's the solution I found to be the best, I hate mesh but the good points outweigh the bad! The face mask is grip tied to the Nuprol goggles and then the nose section is filled with a piece of foam (Which takes the pressure off my nose) and hot glued at the top, no gaps!

Looks a bit Neanderthal but if it works go for it. I play in a bunker where it's dark. I find it hard to see through mesh in the darker places.

In the average game I can rarely hear it myself let alone people a metre away or two. I have to put it to my ear when I turn it on to confirm it is actually running because the safe zone is almost always too loud.

Out in the woods on my own I can hear it whirring away, but nobody has ever remarked on hearing the fan even when being next to me, they seem surprised its there and running at full speed.

But in Epsom bunker you could hear a single BB roll across the floor, in there it sounds like a helicopter is coming down the corridor.

Its really quiet, just not silent. I thought it would give me away sometimes but I don't think it actually has done so once yet.

I might have a look around work tomorrow and see if I can find a series of small fans. Fingers crossed!

I've got to try and figure out a way of getting my radio mic closer to my mouth when wearing a face mask cause as 'sods law' dictates, dont wear my mask and I get tagged on my mouth or nose

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.