Ground zero weekender

Jambo88

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just spotted that they dont allow propane to be used on site as propellant, does anyone know why this is? They mention that it is a hazard but not why.

I hate to think it, but they dont sell overpriced GG at the site shop do they?

• Supporters

I've been twice, it can be a great laugh, the first year game play was much better than the second. But the social side of it was better the second time. The team running it are great but there just aren't enough marshals to keep a good watch on the game, the site is huge and terrain varied enough to make things interesting. There are aspects of the day that are fun, when you can get away from the huge crowds and have some good quality firefights with likeminded opposition, but it wouldn't take much for someone who isn't feeling the spirit of the game to be a dick and ruin things, they are then hard to track and deal with just because of sheer numbers of people.

The first year I went with about 10 guys from the team, the second year there were about 15 or 20 of us. But there lay the problem. There were so many people there last year that game play suffered, it was hard getting involved in the objectives and taking the game play seriously.

I would say go at least once for the experience, where else will you see 1800 airsofters all playing together. If you like it go back again another year. Myself and many of our team are unlikely to go this year, we just didn't enjoy the gaming as much. But in the year between 13 and 14 we have moved away from mainstream blatfest skirmishing and towards Battlesim, Filmsim and soft Milsims.

Your questions about propane I believe relate to the fact that it isn't safe to use in guns (they claim), presumably it's because it isn't a propellant that the guns are actually tested or designed to use. Also I have heard mention of the inconsistency (again nothing to back this up) of propane and the fact it can sometimes make the guns hot (in terms of power). It may also have something to do with a fire risk or explosions.

They don't allow hot burning pyro, so that's smokes, flash bangs and other mainstream pyro out due to fire risk, most of the site is coniferous forest with lots of dead material, in the middle of summer its a tinderbox just waiting to go up. They claimed to have found fires there days after events. That's not to say there aren't huge bangs, they are just all marshal controlled.

I've been twice, it can be a great laugh, the first year game play was much better than the second. But the social side of it was better the second time. The team running it are great but there just aren't enough marshals to keep a good watch on the game, the site is huge and terrain varied enough to make things interesting. There are aspects of the day that are fun, when you can get away from the huge crowds and have some good quality firefights with likeminded opposition, but it wouldn't take much for someone who isn't feeling the spirit of the game to be a dick and ruin things, they are then hard to track and deal with just because of sheer numbers of people.

The first year I went with about 10 guys from the team, the second year there were about 15 or 20 of us. But there lay the problem. There were so many people there last year that game play suffered, it was hard getting involved in the objectives and taking the game play seriously.

I would say go at least once for the experience, where else will you see 1800 airsofters all playing together. If you like it go back again another year. Myself and many of our team are unlikely to go this year, we just didn't enjoy the gaming as much. But in the year between 13 and 14 we have moved away from mainstream blatfest skirmishing and towards Battlesim, Filmsim and soft Milsims.

Your questions about propane I believe relate to the fact that it isn't safe to use in guns (they claim), presumably it's because it isn't a propellant that the guns are actually tested or designed to use. Also I have heard mention of the inconsistency (again nothing to back this up) of propane and the fact it can sometimes make the guns hot (in terms of power). It may also have something to do with a fire risk or explosions.

They don't allow hot burning pyro, so that's smokes, flash bangs and other mainstream pyro out due to fire risk, most of the site is coniferous forest with lots of dead material, in the middle of summer its a tinderbox just waiting to go up. They claimed to have found fires there days after events. That's not to say there aren't huge bangs, they are just all marshal controlled.

Does it just turn into a free for all?

• Supporters

There are times it does, end of the days all three teams fight to be in control of the village at the centre of the site. It's a massive blatfest.

I can't post links but youtube "Largest Paintball Battle - Living legends 6" By HK Army, and you'll get an idea of what the village is like at 5pm Sat and Sun with 1000 or so airsofters playing for a space about 50m across. Obviously minus the stupid dayglow clothes and baggy trousers. I've done it once and don't feel the need to do it again, full face definitely recommended, as is a helmet, one guy carried his around all day just for the final battle.

It's a laugh, don't take it seriously, but don't lower your personal standards of play even as those around you might lower theirs.

You also get all spectrums of players, complete noobs who have never held an airsoft gun to fairly well organised and very well kitted out teams of experienced players.

My biggest two bugbears are the number of respawn points are limited so sometimes there are epic walks to regen, and second some people use the fact that there are so many players to let the rules slide a little.

As I say give it a go, it's worth going for the experience at least once. Then make up your own mind about if you like it or not.

Sounds daft to me. The only difference between green gas and propane is green gas has either added perfume or no odorant and added lubricant (usually silicone, despite being the wrong thing to use).

And in my experience with colemans as propellant, propane is no less consistent than any other gas, unless you switch bottles, which is unlikely even over a weekend with a 1 pound can.

And banning hot pyros is more than fair. Not only because of the risk of fire but also the potential for burns is significant wherever you play, imagine being prone and seeing a hot burning pyro roll in front of your face. I sure as hell dont think my insurance waiver covers the loss of my vision or permanent scarring like that

I've been 2 years on the trot 11 and 12 both were good games 11 was better in gameplay wise but 12 was better on the social side.i would always say go for secondary objectives plenty of players still but not 600v600 the end of the day they bring all the players into the town and it's carnage but they do that too keep everyone together ,night games are very good but hard as its such a huge site it's easy to get lost

Me and my mates are thinking of this.. more for the social aspect.. camping. Bbq and airsoft.. cant be bad!!!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.