Camera options - GoPro or Contour?

Tad

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So in the last couple of months, there have been a few hilarious incidents at Skirmish Billericay that I wish I'd had a camera mounted for.

My Question is quite simple, what is the best value for money with these items, and what way would you suggest to mount them?

Obviously, i'll be looking at a helmet rig anyway, but is it too much hassle for one brand or another?

Cheers in advance!

• Supporters

For helmets, at least FAST style ones, contours mount on the side, and you need an attachment for them. GoPros mount simply in the NVG mount spot. GoPros can mount anywhere, however, as long as it is smooth and semi-flat. Now, GoPros are more obvious; they are larger, and for dark areas the red light can be annoying and give you position away. Contours are smaller and sleeker, but aren't as easy to use (think GoPro app) and afaik are stuck to being side mounted. Spec wise idk, black GoPros probably can capture a bit better, but are more expensive. I have 2 GoPros I use, one on my helmet which works well, and one I mount on my gun with a nice little attachment from antsupplies or something similar.

• 3 months later...
Guest PT247

Mobius Actioncams are pretty cool, I have 2, one with a modded lens to use as a scopecam and the other I have mounted under the peak of my baseball cap. Used a GoPro in my last vids mounted on top of my baseball cap and it was heavy and moved around a lot and also as it is bulky got caught in branches etc.

Unless you got 300 notes to drop on a black edition, dont get a gopro. get the sj400 as its more or less the same as a gopro silver (15fps)

The red led is no issue just put a tiny strip of tape over it or spray the inside of the case black.

Contours are good, although as said side mouted and which absolutely WILL snag on every branch and twig in sight, as the the mounts are quite long and the camera sits quite far from the helmet. also i find the sound quality on contours isnt as good as a gopro.

Verdict: sj400 - £35 does the job.

I actually use a drift ghost s and really pleased with it so far it's circa 250 waterproof out of box has an LCD screen and wrist remote etc

You can also get a picanti (sp) attachment for it

Just an idea

I have just bought a GoPro HERO4 Silver, I believe for value for money the Black is not worth it unless you need 30fps+ 4K video. (NOTE: it does not come with LCD, so you will need to use the GoPro App, or buy the BatteryPac with LCD).

I have only used it once during a Skirmish, quality good (1440p 30fps / don't ask why I picked that resolution!), and the case it comes with (diveproof up to 40m is pretty BB resistant, see reddit/r/airsoft).

If you plan on recording a lot, buy more batteries, SDXC cards (good ones at that!) and/or the batterypac - which ever works for you.

If mounting to an NVG plate, use some electrical tape to make sure the fitting is good, and so when you run it does not rattle.

Nurprol Fast Helemt; 3rd Party NVG Mount

• GoPro HERO 4 SILVER
  • 4x GoPro 4 Batteries (1160mAh 4.4Wh)
  • 2x SanDisk Extreme 64GB MicroSDXC
  • GoPro BatteryPac LCD (with 3 bigger backdoors)

For money wise, you do get a lot of things with the Camera and the BatteryPac, also it comes with a nice little housing for the LCD BatteryPac to store 1x SD Card, and 1x Micro SDXC which is really nice.

I would recommend GoPro for helemts, and Contours (dont have any) for gun mounts, facing you and the enemy.

I have just bought a GoPro HERO4 Silver, I believe for value for money the Black is not worth it unless you need 30fps+ 4K video. (NOTE: it does not come with LCD, so you will need to use the GoPro App, or buy the BatteryPac with LCD).

I have only used it once during a Skirmish, quality good (1440p 30fps / don't ask why I picked that resolution!), and the case it comes with (diveproof up to 40m is pretty BB resistant, see reddit/r/airsoft).

If you plan on recording a lot, buy more batteries, SDXC cards (good ones at that!) and/or the batterypac - which ever works for you.

If mounting to an NVG plate, use some electrical tape to make sure the fitting is good, and so when you run it does not rattle.

Nurprol Fast Helemt; 3rd Party NVG Mount

• GoPro HERO 4 SILVER
  • 4x GoPro 4 Batteries (1160mAh 4.4Wh)
  • 2x SanDisk Extreme 64GB MicroSDXC
  • GoPro BatteryPac LCD (with 3 bigger backdoors)

For money wise, you do get a lot of things with the Camera and the BatteryPac, also it comes with a nice little housing for the LCD BatteryPac to store 1x SD Card, and 1x Micro SDXC which is really nice.

I would recommend GoPro for helemts, and Contours (dont have any) for gun mounts, facing you and the enemy.

Pretty much what i was thinking of doing tbh.

However, can you link anywhere with this BatteryPac? It looks interesting to say the least, and it also means i can keep my phone charged!

Also, For 1080p @60, what will run out first battery (standard) or the Memory (64Gb)?

Hey,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NIYNUBG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

It's not what you thought ^^

Battery... the 64GB card can have atleast 4 hours, consult GoPro website or 3rd party reviews... I didn't charge my battery probably.

Also, For 1080p @60, what will run out first battery (standard) or the Memory (64Gb)?

Battery will do about 1hr.20 on that.

Might want to try an external battery, I would have done that myself but I have 4 gopro 4 batteries now, so no point.

Cheers for the tips guys, i'll look into getting the gear sorted in the next few months!...

Another vote for the GoPro. I do have a few cheaper alternatives as well but if I want something recording properly I always reach for the GoPro. Plus it's really easy to buy cheap accessories for them too as the market is literally flooded.

You won't regret spending the extra few ££.

Just seen "Brain Exploder"s YouTube, he uses Mobius Cams, which look like quite good quality.

Taking my new GoPro to UCAP this weekend - will let you know how I get on.

Hopefully the 2 SDXC card, 4 batteries, and the BacPac will work - hopefully they can be charged in my car via USB.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.