LIPO - have to hold my hand up !

Baz JJ

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ive used LIPO since I started and always thought it was important not to let them get discharged.

Cant remember where I got this idea but use lots of different battery technology in my day job and generally its not good to run batteries down.

Anyway, long story short, Ive been charging my batteries about once a month and then leaving them charged up, to gradually self discharge until the following month.

I dont tend to play skirmish airsoft regularly now so they can be standing for a few months.

Apparently, this is very bad and to confirm it, my batteries have "puffed" slightly.

Skeptical about battery advice on airsoft social media, I have researched the matter more fully and it checks out.

Apparently, current wisdom (pun noted) is to not charge them after a game if they have more than 50% charge in them, let them hover in storage at around 40-50% charge and then recharge them the night before a game.

Ive bought a couple of new batteries and the difference between old and new is very noticeable. Dont want to trust puffed batteries in my gun for the sake of a £12 new battery.

I use an iMax B6 to charge are all my batts including my lipos so any smart charger will do but if your on a budget, shop around

A couple of my old lipos did the same, I charged them and stored them, problem is they will degrade over a period of time wether charged, half charged or flat

To be honest, I have no idea. I have a simple charger which just balances and charges them up then goes green.

Rather than buy another charger I bought a capacity meter for £12.50 which plugs into the battery pack and tells me the % charge.

With my new batteries, Im storing them around 5o%. On the assumption that they lose about 10% a month, I will check them next month and charge them for 10-20 minutes to get them back up to approx 50% again.

The night before a game, I will charge them to full.

A lot of people seem to be buying the B6.

In light of my discoveries, I would get one with a storage function if I bought a new charger.

If the charger & monitor works as is, no need to hurry and buy a smart charger, smart chargers have a storage facility on it

When storing my lipos, I have each cell set at 3.4v but take them out once a month to charge then storage setting

• Supporters

I've been using 3 LiPos for over a year where I just use one, sometimes I swap them out at lunch but regardless I whack them all on for a charge the night before the next game. Personally not seen any issues and although I tend to play every 1-2 weeks now there has been a couple of periods where I couldn't play for several months.

That said I also used a cheapo Kong Power charger for most of the this time as my Turnigy didn't come with a deans lead...

I'm not saying what I do is right but it's working fine for me and it should go without saying if I noticed anything off with the batteries I use that they wouldn't be touching my gun(s) again.

You are by design or good fortune, following the correct charging regime, so you shouldnt see any adverse effects.

I was charging them up after the game and leaving them charged until the next game, often topping them up just before the game. Keeping them for more than a week in this charged condition was what did the damage.

The puffing was quite noticeable as the battery packs were squigey when gently squeezed.

Interestingly, little seems to be written about this. I bought new batteries for £12 each from the Component Store and when they arrived in nice little storage boxes, nothing was said in the manufacturers charging instructions.

Im not so bothered about the replacement cost as the potential for damage to expensive rifles and home/property by batteries I no longer trust.

Incidently, although not so crucial, their lives are shortened by heat, so they do not recommend leaving them anywhere too warm. Many old hands in the RC world seem to keep them in the fridge when not in use.

I've been using 3 LiPos for over a year where I just use one, sometimes I swap them out at lunch but regardless I whack them all on for a charge the night before the next game. Personally not seen any issues and although I tend to play every 1-2 weeks now there has been a couple of periods where I couldn't play for several months.

That said I also used a cheapo Kong Power charger for most of the this time as my Turnigy didn't come with a deans lead...

I'm not saying what I do is right but it's working fine for me and it should go without saying if I noticed anything off with the batteries I use that they wouldn't be touching my gun(s) again.

I come from rc car & boat racing and never put them in a fridge ever, I just put them in a drawer and left them until I needed them

I'd always check the voltage end of the day but would leave them to settle there voltage for 24 hours then discharge to storage setting

Imax b6 or GT power charger (I have both)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.