M249 help

michalfo1988

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

alright everyone

ive got an ares m249 and its doesn't quite work I put the battery in and the 2 AA batteries in the mag and I get nothing when the trigger is pulled not sure if its the mag as it wasnt the best condition when I swapped I asked on a facebook page and they sad it might be the micro switch in the trigger but m no tech and not sure and id rather not take it apart and break it even tho half the problem isits cause its an ares weapon lol

would I be best buying a new mag and trying that and if it still doesn't work then try find a tech near me to help and maybe fix it any help would be appreciated

• Supporters

Sorry - when you say you get "nothing" does the gun not cycle or does the mag just not feed?

• Supporters

Simple things to check - is there a fuse in the wire from the battery? If so that might be blown. Also worth checking the wires just after the fuse holder before they go into the receiver - sometimes they have a tiny little crimp connector in both wires that just loves to fall apart! Check the wires haven't come off of the motor too (you'll need to take the stock off to do that - pull out the pin at the top rear of the receiver and the whole thing should swing down.

As far as the trigger goes, the usual problem is that the contacts weld together so it wold actually not stop firing which is the complete opposite to what you have! M249s are actually pretty easy to work on so don't panic!

• Supporters

The mag won't stop the gun from cycling though.

Have you tested the rifle with out the mag seated into it ??

Connect a battery to the rifle only and then do the same with the mag (if you can) then its just a process of elimination

Only thing left to do is check all contacts and wiring with a volt metre to see if there's any breaks anywhere

had a look found the problem it was where the connector went into the rifle one of the pins had came a bit offset now it fires but every time it does the spring seats to the rear of the gearbox and lock backs there is a button to push to release the tension but I don't know why it locks to the rear

there is a way to push it down and tighten it but not sure if its wise and the mag still doesn't feed properly I know where to buy a new mag its the cloth one slightly smaller but its 94 quid seems a tad steep any more help would be appreciated cheers

Sounds as though not enough current is getting to the motor, ie enough to turn it but once the spring tension increases it won't so the anti reversal latch stops the gears/spring pushing forward. It could be as simple as the female battery connector pins needing tightening, or possibly the micro switch contacts are shot (electrical retailers like Maplins usually sell the microswitches pretty cheap as they are a standard item and not airsoft specific).

I had a world of problems with my Star/Ares M60 box mag, burnt out 2 motors, which was down to the rubbish "auto shutoff" gate microswitch which wasn't shutting off power to the motor when I stopped firing (again thankfully the mag motors are fairly standard cheapo parts). In the end I replaced the stock 4.5v mag motor with a 6v one wired in parallel with the gearbox motor and although maybe not ideal, its been fine since and fires perfectly every time with no sign of overheating. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My friend better use a stanag mag well a Hi cap one the one that holds atleast 700 rds because that's really the problem of the m249 mag even the AnK one

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.