Spring Identification

Tad

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Is there a quick way to identify what type a spring is?

Part of a recent purchase, i was given a free spring however i have no what this spring actually is.

**Edit**

When i get my new M4, i'll stick it in the V2 gearbox and chrono with it. But I'm wondering if there is an easy way to check now.

• Supporters

I jest of course.

Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to tell what power a spring is without putting it in a gun and chronoing it. That's why I always try and label any I take out of my guns with a bit of tape....

What if it tastes of oil?

Great times then, is there a standard FPS i can expect from each of the M### series springs? Just for the identification when i Chrono this then.

• Supporters

What if it tastes of oil?

Great times then, is there a standard FPS i can expect from each of the M### series springs? Just for the identification when i Chrono this then.

If it tastes of oil it's probably an M110. Or an M90 that's been dipped in oil. Tricky business see....

Generally springs do fall into a range denominated by the number in metres per second so an M100 should give a muzzle velocity around 100m/s (or 328FPS). BUT - there is a difference between manufacturers as ably demonstrated in this chart: http://www.airsoftcanada.com/SpringChart.php (note that that is from Airsoft Canada and doesn't include many of the brands that are easily purchased here).

Muzzle velocity is also HIGHLY dependant on a number of other factors (Cylinder volume to barrel volume ratio, quality of airseal etc) so the spring strength should only ever be a rough guide. I have personally had issues with M90 springs resulting in guns with 350+fps (when combined with double seal cylinder head, high quality piston head, o-ring airseal nozzle and a decent hop rubber).

Thats good info to know, thanks for the heads up.

I will wait for the V2 and then test out all the springs on a chrono.

Cheers!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.