What kind of jobs do you guys have to support airsoft? :)

Guest RektnNekt

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Guest RektnNekt

If anyone is interested, I've decided not to accept the offers I received just yet - I let them slide this year. The reason behind this is because I'd rather see what I get at the end of my A levels, rather than making choices on just my, mediocre at best, AS level grades. I've resat one of my AS levels because if I'm honest, I should have done much better during the first year (after doing the exam last week, I feel that I've made an improvement on my grade for that particular part of the course). I seem to be doing well in my A2, and I only have 2 exams left (one this Monday, the last this Thursday).

If all goes well, then I should end up with a bit more room to work with - the AS grades I obtained just didn't cut it for me, so hopefully my final A level grades will open up a few more doors. Again, if it goes well, then I MIGHT apply to uni again (depending on my situation and desires).

In the meantime, me and a good friend have decided to start up a little company as a side project - server hosting and game development - which is currently developing. We had hosted a server prior to this decision which provided us with a bit of money, but we didn't take it too seriously at that time. Of course, I'm not going to rely on this project to support me.

Thanks again to all that have contributed :) It is really nice to see quite a lot of support and effort in the majority of the responses.

Regarding the duplicate thread issue, I had a few questions which I wanted to be central to the thread, rather than just a comment which may get over looked.

----------TLDR----------

- Didn't accept offers - decided to wait for A2 grades to hopefully provide better options. May apply again.

- Started up small company as a side project - nothing major.

- Thanks to all, once again!

- Had own questions which is why I made a new thread

I drive a forklift truck through the week, and DJ and rewire houses as a sparky's mate come weekends. On top of a having a young family, it's pretty tiring :) My body clock has now stopped haha

I could afford to play every week, but in the grand scale of things airsoft is low priority, so i play monthly, sometimes an extra night game now and again.

Also, i only buy new gear with work bonuses or when i've had a really busy month and filled the shed with cash lol

• Supporters

plasterer! and I love it.

it's one of few jobs where a thick as sh*t c*nt like myself, earns really good money.

Mates rates for forum members? ;)

I was quite lucky I walked into a job at a major pharmaceuticals company and have worked my way up, it takes time but as mentioned earlier you dont get anywhere in life with a crap attitude. I now train people and work pretty much with directors and very high level management which i never even dreamed of when i first started. I dont have the best qualifications (GCSE's etc) but I make the most of learning new things when I can and always look to others to learn what i can from them and share what I can as well.

I work at a Uni and my advice - wait until you know what career you want before selecting a degree...

First, if you're going to end up with that much debt, it might as well be in a topic you actually follow through to life. However useful any degree is, if you study botany and end up an engineer, how useful will that degree be? Or if you study engineering and pursue a career as a Lidl area manager, again, how applicable will those 3 years learning be?

Second, although many degrees market their graduate employability, the statistics/figures are pretty crooked (IMO). For example, 100% of Warwick's Biology graduates might be classed as employed if in work 6 months after graduation - but if they are stacking shelves at Tesco, they still tick this box... Any course you look at, ask the Uni how many graduates get a job in a related career path, and what are their earnings 6 months after graduation to better inform you on it.

Third, once you get a degree, you will really struggle to do another... If you're 25 and figure out what career/degree you want, if you've already got a degree, the Government won't help - you won't even get a student loan to cover your 2nd degree/re-training. Sooo many people I know wish they'd done something different. There's a chicken and egg issue mind...

They get a degree > that gets them a job they thought they wanted > they realise it's not for them > they want a different degree. So perversely a degree might help you decide what other degree you wish you were doing - but ho-hum, you get one roll of the dice (unless you're loaded and can cover the costs upfront yourself).

Fourth, more than a few schemes like some Apprenticeships won't allow graduates to apply but are a brilliant way to climb the ladder. While others are at Uni, you're in the business learning the trade. And although graduates (according to the stats) often earn more in their 40's+ than those who come through the vocational path, if you don't do a degree at 18, you can always do one when you hit 30 or whatever. Some uni courses have 95% 'mature' students doing exactly this.

Fifth, whatever you decide, do something... You seem to if you've got your own business going, which is great. But beware the perils of inactivity... Don't let yourself sit around on quiet times, don't spend all day on CoD, don't sponge of your folks... Get into good habits staying useful, staying active, keeping energized. It'll help.

Best of luck with things though.

• Supporters

Your qualifications are only ever going to get you your first job. After that it's all about what experience you've gained.

I work for BT global services in Global banking and financial markets.

I essentially deal with -

Networks/Cisco

Voice recording

Telecoms

Project management

Traders

etc.....

Lets me travel the globe ( 6 weeks in sydney was a high, 4 weeks in saudi arabia was a low LOL )

I never went to uni as I was spawned into a working class family where higher education was never a consideration.I started as a apprentice trained painter & decorator. but after working for several dodgey tradesmen I decided to throw in the towel with the trades.

I am now a buyer for an industrial adhesives manufacturer, my main area is the engineering department, so machine parts to keep the 24hr production lines going at full capcity. So without any education I have worked mainly in Chemistry & now engineering.

All you need is a good attitude & the impulse to work hard in life. University is a good idea if you know what you want to do, the chemistist I work with for instance are on double what I earn & do half as much work.

Im a sparky. Paid for my car addiction for a good few years lol, but now iv bought a house with the gf all the cars have gone and airsoft is my new hobby. As is our house/project lol.

If I was you pal I wouldn't go to uni at all unless you want to be a doctor, teacher or a space engineer. You will end up getting in thousands of pounds in debt which you will be paying off for the rest of your life and with no guarantee of a job at the end of it.

If I was you I'd go and get a trade atleast you will have some form of useable skill behind you.

Most of my friends went to university and only one of them is actually doing the job they went to university for which is a teacher. The rest of them now do office jobs and are all at the bottom of the ladder.

I left school and then went to college but only did that as the job I wanted to do and do now you can't join until you were 18 1/2.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.