What kind of jobs do you guys have to support airsoft? :)

Guest RektnNekt

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Guest RektnNekt

Hey

I just turned 18 a month ago, and I'm nearing the end of my college life (A levels nearly done). So, I've got a massive decision to make.

Now, I can either try for university, although I feel as if that wouldn't really be my thing, or I can just try and find a job (in London) and hopefully earn a decent amount. Although, I have no idea what to look for.

So, I was wondering about your experiences! Did you go to uni and get a job through there, or something else?

I've always had a passion for airsoft and firearms, but I've just never been old enough to carry out that interest; now I am old enough, what can I do about it? I'd like to get into airsoft (got a SRC G36C Type 2 AEG and will have a TM G18C GBB soon) but one thing I've really noticed is that it is quite costly.

How do you guys financially support and simply make time for airsoft? I genuinely need some advice on this.

No no no what ever you do make sure YOU GET A FUCKING TRADE OR DEGREE i am in the shit right now having left school to join the navy having it fell through for medical reasons then going to work i am fucked and stuck at home feeling sucidial because i see no way oit praying i can get through my carpentry course get a decent job and move out do not make this mistake

^^^i agree with Chris555

Go to uni, get a good trade and get the qualifications, I joined the infantry (that's all I wanted to do) and never got a meaningful trade, I'm 36 now and stuck in dead end jobs while trying to go to college doing an electronics course

GO TO UNI

Airsoft can wait and you can always go to game days when you've got free time, kit can be picked up on eBay fairly cheaply, I had a majority of my kit from the army but with 2 teenage boys who join me, we make do & I save up for stuff or buy cheap counterparts

So here's my personal experience, when I was your age.

I freaked out. After school finished, I had no idea what I was going to do, where I was going in my life, even who I was as a person. I felt I had no ideals, no real options for a meaningful career and - like you - I thought I would never go to Uni as it wasn't my thing and was just a useless experience that just ends in debt and doesn't really further your job prospects.

So I got a job for six months, saved up everything I could and went to the other side of the world on expedition for 3 months.

That completely changed my life.

It gave me everything I thought I had been missing and more. After it, I had a focus. And I pursued it.

I then decided I DID actually want to go to Uni and chose to study a specific course and as a result, I have ended up in a very specific field that I feel really passionate about. Other friends at Uni chose to study something that they "just kind of had an interest in, really" and as a result they have ended up not really working where they wanted to - which they would have been able to, had they studied a more specific course.

I really, honestly think that when it comes to making the decision on going to Uni or not, you are WAY too young at 18 to make it.

So basiaclly, my advice would be to take some time out from education. Do something that challenges you. Really puts you out of your comfort zone and something that might seem like a real head-in-the-clouds type of thing, because not only does it help cement you as a person and a personality, but it helps you define what exactly it is you want to do at Uni, if you do decide to go eventually. Try a few different jobs here and there to help you pin down what you do and do not want from a career and finally - as the other have said - GO TO UNI. It's a really, really useful experience for all kinds of things (from living on your own, to managing your finances, to maintaining social relationships and more) and helps you narrow down even more what your path is.

Guest RektnNekt

Thanks for the replies :)

Now, I'm just unsure as to what I'd actually want to study at university.

I've always been alright with history, but I have no idea where that'd actually get me. That's usually something to study when aiming to become a teacher or something like that. I'm not really looking to be a teacher.

So here is my current situation.

About to finish college, and have 3 offers from universities offering a history course. I can follow that up, but I'm still not sure.

So instead I may defer the offers for a year and take a gap year. All that said, I don't mean I'll be going to Cambridge or Oxford - haven't got the grades for that.

Now if I take the gap year, I don't know what to do.

Currently I am studying history, English literature and graphic design at A level; I studied philosophy A level but that was during my GCSEs and didn't decide to continue with it in college. So far, I seem to be passing, but with Bs and Cs.

As for my GCSEs, I didn't exactly reach my full potential (I'd procrastinate too much instead of revising) and ended up with 2 As, 7 or 8 Bs and 2 Cs.

If that was a TLDR situation, here is my point summarized:

I'm at a quite an average standing with my grades, but I'm not sure which field to pursue if I go to university. I guess I'd just like to hear the stories from you guys, and maybe take on some suggestions.

Since you asked this is what I have to offer.

My own children were pressurised by me to go to uni.

One went willingly and was focused on what they wanted to do from a small child. Now has a good career - job done.

The other was like you a little - unsure.

We compromised that he could do a subject of his choice at uni, but he got a degree at the end of it.

He fought tooth and nail after his degree and got a worthwhile and reasonably paid job.

A lot of employers these days wont look at you for certain jobs unless youve got a degree. Unfortunately (and I dont agree with it) its becoming a baseline minimum for many jobs.

If you are academically able, get one.

Apart from this, what is the most important is ATTITUDE.

I do a lot of voluntary work with different ages and what worries me most is the attitude of many young people.

What employers pick up on most is responsibility and commitment or should I say, the lack of it.

Ive worked with graduates and people with little formal education and what they get judged on is their attitude.

Too many will go home at the finish time leaving important jobs undone, do a job half heartedly (leaving mistakes and silly errors through a lack of attention to detail) and Ive even had one or two check their phone while Im talking to them.

If you have no personal discipline or integrity, this seeps into the workplace.

So academia aside, my advice is give everything 110% no matter how boring or pointless it seems, follow orders (not your version of then) and always do what you say you are going to do - always deliver and on time.

Always give any prospective employer 100% commitment and loyalty but dont expect it back. If they treat you badly, take your moral fibre and skills elsewhere at the first opportunity.

Dont let people take the piss out of you but make yourself proud of everything you do. Dont let yourself down.

and no Im not a councillor, charity worker or lily livered do gooder. I just have a lot of experience in work and people.

• Supporters

At that age I didn't know what I wanted to be, so because I liked to draw with computers and was better in math and physics than in history and such, I went to be an architect. I really struggled and I gave up after the first successful semester. It wasn't my thing.

I took some job half heatedly and I felt miserable.

Then finally realized that I always liked computers so I learned and became an IT engineer.

So if you don't have anything in your mind, don't start something you don't really want. But don't give up on the uni, you'll be much better off with it, once you find out what you want.

Guest RektnNekt

Yes go to uni learn a trade or alternatively do a meaningfull apprenticeship if you can get one i am curious what subjects did you do you must have an idea of what you found intresting.

History, graphic design and English literature.

For history, I'm mainly interested in WW1/WW2 era of things, but as for a career path, I'm not particularly sure what good that'd do.

For graphics, I currently don't enjoy the course mainly because of the classwork were doing (it is very limited and boring). But I mean, it can be fun, but stressful.

Not too sure why I chose English lit to be honest with you. I'm good with English, but again, I'm not sure if I'd really want to be a journalist or something.

Philosophy was an offer to the top class that did RE (we finished the GCSE early), and so I took it. That I found to be quite draining.

So, deepening and expanding my interests with college were quite unsuccessful I suppose.

Since I started, I just lost my interest in practically everything, which is quite weird, and I'm not too sure why.

Oh, apart from airsoft and what not - still love that.

Do I ditch the history offers, take a gap year and reapply next year for maybe something else? What kind of things did you guys get into in terms of interests?

Sorry if I'm going into this situation a bit.

I did 2 stints at University. I dropped out of a Chemistry degree after I lost interest in the subject and then did a degree in Business Decisions Analysis which I found a lot more interesting. Don't go to University to do a degree on the basis of a planned career, go and study what interests you. University is as much about the experience as it is about the degree.

I actually ended up continuing my part time job from while I was at University and going full time. I have never used my degree but I believe the experience did me good and if I ever want to change jobs, it's nice to know I have a degree to help me.

I agree with this. If you do a subject you arent interested in, you will fail or get mediocre results.

My experience of graduates is that they change a lot between starting and finishing uni. Note I said finishing and not just attending occasionally. Its character building because it teaches non educational qualities as well.

I did 2 stints at University. I dropped out of a Chemistry degree after I lost interest in the subject and then did a degree in Business Decisions Analysis which I found a lot more interesting. Don't go to University to do a degree on the basis of a planned career, go and study what interests you. University is as much about the experience as it is about the degree.

I actually ended up continuing my part time job from while I was at University and going full time. I have never used my degree but I believe the experience did me good and if I ever want to change jobs, it's nice to know I have a degree to help me.

Ask yourself honestly why you are considering a gap year ?

Is it because you are buying time because you dont know what you want to do ? or are you postponing the inevitable?

Forget the subject of Airsoft - its a hobby and its distracting you.

I normally take things I like doing and then reward myself with them once Ive done something I dont like doing.

If you really want a gap year, go do some voluntary work, do something useful for others. This will change your outlook on life generally and it impresses potential employers.

Going back-packing doesnt generally speaking.

History, graphic design and English literature.

For history, I'm mainly interested in WW1/WW2 era of things, but as for a career path, I'm not particularly sure what good that'd do.

For graphics, I currently don't enjoy the course mainly because of the classwork were doing (it is very limited and boring). But I mean, it can be fun, but stressful.

Not too sure why I chose English lit to be honest with you. I'm good with English, but again, I'm not sure if I'd really want to be a journalist or something.

Philosophy was an offer to the top class that did RE (we finished the GCSE early), and so I took it. That I found to be quite draining.

So, deepening and expanding my interests with college were quite unsuccessful I suppose.

Since I started, I just lost my interest in practically everything, which is quite weird, and I'm not too sure why.

Oh, apart from airsoft and what not - still love that.

Do I ditch the history offers, take a gap year and reapply next year for maybe something else? What kind of things did you guys get into in terms of interests?

Sorry if I'm going into this situation a bit.

• Supporters

How the f*ck can kids/youngsters really make choices - even us old farts can't predict where we are gonna be or do in 5 yrs

47 & was a LOT different when I left school - jobs were a lot more easy to find of some description

Now you got people with degrees working in fast food places/shops for not much more than min wage

50 graduates+ chasing 1 frggin' job

My own kids are going to uni - 1 next year and I don't envy that one bit tbh

Employers want qualifications AND experience AND the correct attitude - which I will agree 101% above

To get a job you need to sell yourself 200% BUT you gotta stay with that 200% attitude or you won't last long

Trust me - companies won't carry any dead wood like perhaps they used to, time keeping, attendance, even

attitude to say -

"what do you want me to do now" - rather than scratch your ar$e & check ya fone

&

if somebody helps you out or shows you stuff that they spent years learning the hard way....

"Thanks" - always a good start and show some interest...

"how/why did you do that" - this is two fold as it demostrates your interest and hopefully

they may explain the solution a little so you learn a little more & they don't have to show you again/so much next time

I've seen first hand the attitude of youngsters and my own kids even trying to lecture me on this n that

yet in my book they still have so much to learn never mind back chatting me and asking for full explanations

or try to outsmart me.....

Whose house are you in - yours they reply

Bills paid by whom - you & mum

Long story short - ok when you got your own money and your own place THEN you can tell me I am wrong ffs

to which they reply - yeah ok but can I have this/that/some money to go out with now

Think carefully and pursue a decent further education in something useful as well as you enjoy

That is the part you need to study and research - FACT

Too many people have got super duper grades/degrees in $hit like music/media/fashion retail and are f*cked

trying to get employment with that sort of stuff, I know quite a few that have a bit of paper that tbh isn't gonna

leapfrog them further up the line when trying to pursue a totally different line of work

Architects - yeah think a couple of my kids teachers got that degree and hated it - ending up teaching TD in schools

This is just a tip of the iceberg - but keep studying yes, but in something useful that you might enjoy and maybe

see yourself doing in later life - I mean think about it not like "Yeah that would be alright I suppose"

Try and get some crappy job if possible whilst studying - it all helps both prepare you and looks good on ya CV

that at least you could get & keep some sort of job

Amount of people in this world with a bit of paper thinking they are so great.....

Uhmmm - that company interview you might be going to, well that company somehow just about survived before you came

along and will no doubt survive long after you sat there telling how super duper you are

In fact even when the top top mofo MD goes on holiday the company scrapes by and survives

Nobody is that good or that irreplaceable - this may come as a shock to a few people but sooner this is learnt

the sooner they may find out the world owes you nothing and won't come knocking on your door

Attitude is also important as no matter how outstanding you are even if you are the best in your field/department

If the boss don't like you or your face don't fit - YOU ARE F*CKED

Nowt to do with ar$e licking, it is a balance of doing your bit to best of your abilities, trying to get along and learn

but also if you are not performing brilliantly at least keep ya head down under the radar and not pi$$ into wind

Oh and even if you think of going it alone and not taking any $hit - ergh you will from customers

Everybody is somebody's bitch - well of a sort, do ya best and if you do have to make a stand/point

pick your battles carefully and all that

For the record I thought I was gonna do this/that with computers or plumbing/building or engineering

Ended up stumbling into my present career after working in retail - settled in the print industrty for

last 28yrs but has seriously gone through major changes so have had to adapt or end up working as

a mini-cab driver or something like so many of my old work mates

Best of luck - think and choose your course carefully and maintain a well rounded willingness to learn

rather than think you already have the qualifications and experience on a piece of paper

Oh and good luck paying back your tuition fees as well

Knock the airsoft on the head for now. i cant advise what those qualifications will lead to my intrests are enginering and healthcare what you must do is figure out where those skills lead and what job pays well and you will find intresting i do not advise a gap year of any kind competition is fearce at the moment and it wont do you any good.

I dont want to descend into a "youth of today" type rant and bring back national service.

The problem is not the youth its society.

A combination of dysfunctional and broken families together with a post war society that tries to give their children everything in a materialistic sense whilst not allowing them the freedom to go outside and take risks has created a lot of issues.

Its a world problem to some extent. China now has a lot of problems because "one child families" has meant that affluent Chinese have spoiled their kids so rotten they have become expectant brats.

Ive worked with youngsters on boats where they step into a boat standing up and are surprised when it tips them into the 'oggin.

Why did you do that I ask ? doesnt happen on my X box game they reply..

The UK is getting thrashed in business by foreign competition. Having worked with some brilliant and motivated Chinese and eastern europeans, I can see why. The British psychy is still brilliant at lateral thinking and problem solving, but we have become very lazy and complacent as an industrial nation. I see people I come into contact with through work spending more effort on making excuses and blaming others. If they put that effort into making a difference, we might be a top nation again.

How many British people, including airsofters to come back on to topic appreciate that everytime you buy something overseas and import it directly into the UK, you are depriving this country of jobs and income ?

• Supporters

Indeed - but that is just the retail side of things really 99.9% is all made in far east anyway

All human beings are their own worst enemy - we throw away stuff at first chance

Places like Cuba who have had sanctions for so long are experts in making do and repairing stuff

even crude manufacturing of brake fluid and stuff on top gear a while back

We - UK used to be envy of world with our skills and engineering but we became lazy and too expensive

so we import stuff that so much we could make ourselves

Not gonna dwell on this but best talk to M&S Primark etc.. about where their clothes are made in Eastern sweatshops

But yes we could try and be a little more patriotic ike the Yanks trying to buy USA stuff if possible

but also we need to make items that are not too highly priced especially when money is tight for so many

Dunno what the answer is but would deffo say we can be a lazy lot of bastids - myself included

You have the grades and have offers to go to university then go to university. You'll be surrounded by other people who want to get their degrees (rather than the annoying idiots at school and somewhat less but still present at college). You have the choice so I would say take it. Can't promise it will turn into a direct job, but you will be a "graduate" and that will open some doors that would otherwise remain closed. Its not the end of your learning however, its just the beginning. I am a perpetual student, I read and learn in my field every day and its never going to stop until I stop working. It changes from being fed to you (college) to being pulled with a bit of structure (university) to choosing it entirely yourself (the career).

If you are interested in WW1/WW2 history and want a gap year to consider things, why not see if any museums are looking for volunteers?

If you want a way for airsoft to feature in your plans, WW2 airsoft and WW2 re-enactment may be something to look into. It will enable you to justify the costs as it enables you to learn more about something that already interests you and shows future employers that your hobby is more than running around the woods with toy guns.

I don't think you HAVE to go to uni to get a good job. Most people go just for the sake of going and come out 3 years later 30 grand poorer and still can't get a job.

I started work at 16 and worked my way up. Now I'm a sales manager at 28 earning a decent enough wage. Only go to uni if you know what you want to do requires a degree like law etc

Getting a trade through an aprenticeship may be a good idea if your into the practical side of things.

• Supporters

Apprentices now on average earn more than graduates in their first jobs.

If there's a subject you're passionate about go and study it, but I wouldn't recommend to anyone that they should go to university just for the sake of it. £9,000 a year just on tuition is a lot of cash.

Going to UNI is def good to have under the belt. As well as an education you'll get laid more too.

Don't not go for the sake of getting money for airsoft sooner. Might as well join the army instead if abit o pew-pew takes priority!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.