Need sidearm suggestions ~£120

Guest RektnNekt

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Guest RektnNekt

Alright so my budget is around £120, and I am in need of a decent gun.

Currently, I have a SRC G36C Transparent Type 2 AEG, shoots at around 300-330 FPS.

So, I was looking into sidearms.

Now, I was seriously considering the WE G18C GBB Full auto Gen4, as it is about £115 including the gun, getting it painted (No UKARA yet) and delivered. But after browsing a few videos and whatnot, I found that there was a problem with the full auto feature. Something to do with part of the barrel snapping after a few mags on full auto. Not sure if they've fixed that issue since those videos, or even if it is a widespread problem, but still.

My questions to you then:

Do I go with the WE G18C? Or is there something better I can get for the money? (I know it is a low budget to work with).

• Supporters

I own two WE GBBs, a P226 and a G17. The P226 is from here, and the G17 I had someone buy and make a custom slide for it in the US, then got it shipped over here. I like the G17, I feel that full auto pistols are kinda redundant, as you go through ammo too fast, and if you want to go full auto, why not just use your primary?... However, this doesn't really answer your question.

I can see how the G18 could have issues with broken parts. The blowback on these is rather impressive, and my G17 got its nozzle broken before it even had a full mag through it. It turns out the part was faulty and an easy fix, and since then it's been great. However, I f it was full auto, I could see where issues could arise. I doubt barrels are snapping, but parts of the nozzle or gas chamber I could see breaking, as they are plastic (but decent plastic).

So anyway, it comes down to personal choice. Us here in the forum shouldn't tell you what to get; we shall just advise and complement you on whatever you choose (yea right...). It also depends on where you play, how you play, etc. For CQB, a G18 could work better than some for going pistols only, but going through ammo would be a pain. Also, some sites don't allow full auto only weapons (only CQB sites afaik)

For woodland sites I don't think it would work as well, as pistols lack the range to compete at distance with rifles. I guess a gradual spray upwards could land a hit, but it wouldn't be worth it if that's your gameplan.

One last thing to consider; WE guns often don't fit real holsters. I had the guy I got to do my custom slide make a Safariland ALS holster for it at the time he did the slide. Afaik it's one of two made for WE G17s, but the new Safariland ProFit 578 holsters will fit all modern airsoft guns anyway, so not much of an issue there.

I've heard the nozzle will break very easily. The full auto fire is a tempting feature but I bought a Glock 17 so I'm not tempted by it, and the pistol will probably last a lot longer as a result.

I think mine's great, and lots of people are happy with the WE Glocks. I think WE made some improvements from the Gen 3 hence the positive reviews. It's a shame some of their even newer pistols seen to have problems when they did so well with these in comparison.

I'd say buy either that (but shop around for the best deal) or look at Tokyo Marui pistols, which are superb. They'll be around £120+ and are all (good quality) polymer, but worth it.

TM are widely considered the best you can get.

Guest RektnNekt

Well thanks for the fast replies :D

As for the reason of having full auto, I'd just like to know it is there should the need for it arise.

Was looking to save a bit longer for a TM because I hear quite a lot of good things of them.

Also, I've been shopping around a bit to compare prices, and usually the WE G18 seems to be at about £104. I checked the store which I got my first gun from, Wolfarmouries, but their prices did no justice I suppose.

However, I did find Airsoftzone.co.uk, but I've never actually heard of them. Anyway, their prices seem to be the cheapest from what I've seen.

Anyone used these guys, or got another good site?

Thanks again!

Can't think of any other places that will be better. I was gonna recommend Airsoft Zone, never used them myself but I've heard they're good. And yeah probably the best prices around.

Check the 'Places to Buy' section - there might be some reviews of Airsoft Zone there.

Guest RektnNekt

Yeah I found that post shortly after :) It was a reassurance to know that it is a legit website from those reviews.

Thanks for your help guys, I greatly appreciate it.

Guest RektnNekt

Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like I'll save up a little longer and get a TM G18C GBB over the WE variant. Hopefully the TM one doesn't have that air nozzle problem.

Once I buy from AZ, I'll definitely pitch in a review to hopefully help others.

Ive got both TM and WE pistols. The TM is supposed to be a good pistol in terms of quality, but I also like the WE because they are metal where they are supposed to be metal and feel more like the real thing.

They are a secondary weapon and unless you do a lot of CQB or your primary weapon isnt that reliable, a rifle is probably more important.

Are you under 18 (is that why you dont have a UKARA defence ?)

ETA - ignore that question - just saw your other post. If I were you, Id play some more games and get my UKARA before buying a two-tone pistol.

I think KWA ends up being a good middle ground between We's metal slide and TM's famous accuracy. Its still got the metal slide so it kicks well but at the same time its built better and more consistently than the We. I think they are the way to go considering the gas efficiency they manage to get with them as well as parts being pretty decent.

• Supporters

I honestly don't see the point in a full auto pistol... if you've run out of ammo for your rifle then you're going to want to preserve your shots with your sidearm so you wouldn't use it then, if you're inside a building or whatever and have to switch to a pistol then you probably shouldn't use the auto feature (only takes one BB to hit someone, no need to put 10 into them!).

As for accuracy/range, a TM pistol will probably out range your SRC G36, your long distance accuracy will suffer largely because of the constraints of a pistol (no stock, short distance between sights etc), not the capabilities of the pistol.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.