Madbull Hop Up Tracer Unit (Hutu)

SeniorSpaz87

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Alrighty then,

My new M4 couldn't fit my usual tracer/mock silencer, the B&T unit. As such, I looked into both tracer mags and Hutus. This seems to be the way to go, unless you want to DIY it. So... What's in the box?

There are two options here. The first is to buy the Madbull Hutu for around £60, which includes a Madbull hop unit as well as the tracer unit. The second is to just buy the unit if you already have the hop unit.

The tracer part of the set is quite simple, with only four parts. These are: the tracer chip + LED and connected wires, a second set of wires that plugs into a socket on the first, and two little one way rings that hold the tracer to the hop.

Installation: simple. Plug wire 2 into wire 1, set on hop, push rings onto two poles that are part of the hop, splice into battery wires.

Wiring: not simple. Almost all online reviews say this is a simple product to install. It is. What isn't easy is dealing with all the wires. For front wired guns, the socket is too large to fit through the hole, so you either need to accept the mess of wires stopping your mag from seating, or accept that your gun's receiver and outer barrel are connected for good. I don't believe this will be as much of a problem for rear wired guns.

Operation: simple. If your battery is plugged in, the Hutu will be on.

Pros:

Internal. This allows for shorter guns, great for cqb guns.

No more forgetting to bring AAAs for your tracer, as it uses the gun's battery.

Simple installation.

Cons:

Dimmer. Not quite as good as most silencer/tracers, as the light only shines on one side of the pellet, not all around like silencer/tracers

Wires. Everywhere.

Only fits M4s and M16 (can probably be modified to fit others)

Always on. Although it uses so little battery this isn't really an issue.

Possible upgrades:

There isn't much, as this needs the Madbull hop to work. You could modify another hop to work with it though. One thing that I personally did was wire in a switch to turn the unit on and off.

For pics, check out my M4A1 in the Loadout section from today.

i looked at getting one of these to save having to use the supressor and reducing the amount i seem to whack it on stuff in the dark Mall basement, good to know the wiring's abit of a pain!

have you tried it with tracer mags? be interesting to know if combined they give it a glow on par with a supressor based tracer unit

• Supporters

No, i havent. never actually seen a tracer mag, but ive necer really looked. I would guess it would combine a bit: my hutu is mounted on the left side of my hop, so if the LED in a tracer mag was on the right it should work well. My B&T is also really bright, more so than most B&Ts I see, so maybe I got the luck of the draw on it. The wiring is just really in excess, I would figure out what length you need and cut it down to size. Once I did that it only takes a minute to switch out if I dont have the switch bolted down, which it is atm, so not an east switch. My hop is giving my issues right now, but its old; didnt realise the gun I bougt already had the correct hop in it, so Ive got a brand new extra one I might have to throw in to correct that.

• Supporters

The hop is fine for me, but I can't really compare; when I bought the M4 it already had the hop needed installed (wish I'd checked this first) so I ended up with two of the hops, and just put in the new one. Until I get my gearbox checked (think its stripped a gear or something) I can accurately compare it to the few others I've used, but this is the first time I've ever replaced a hop, so I'm not an expert.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.