Hop Up Tracer Unit Questions

SeniorSpaz87

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Hello all,

Those of you who have looked at the recently purchased thread recently will know I have an interest in these, specifically this one:

http://airsoftzone.co.uk/ultimate-3-in-1-hop-up-chamber-unit-with-tracer-led-module-for-m4-m16-series-madbull

I am unsure on installation, however, and have a few questions;

1. What battery does this connect to? The one the gun uses?

2. What connector type is it? Tamiya, Deans, etc.

3. How easy would it be to wire a switch into it?

4. Has anyone ever used these, and if so, would you recommend it for The Mall, or something similar?

Thanks,

Spaz

Hey, I have one of these, I don't have the tracer unit but I can tell you that the tracer unit is secured onto the side just like how the level pin is secured. It does indeed plug into the gun battery and will stay on until disconnected, I think it's a tamiya as well.

I think you could easily make a wire switch; cut one of the wires in half and solder a switch in between. Done, although i really don't think it will consume that much battery anyway, it's just a tiny light.

• Supporters

I can't really answer your questions but if you do decide to get one of these they are a bit cheaper at Land Warrior (£57.20 I believe)

Thanks B, will check them out.

Hey, I have one of these, I don't have the tracer unit but I can tell you that the tracer unit is secured onto the side just like how the level pin is secured. It does indeed plug into the gun battery and will stay on until disconnected, I think it's a tamiya as well.

I think you could easily make a wire switch; cut one of the wires in half and solder a switch in between. Done, although i really don't think it will consume that much battery anyway, it's just a tiny light.

Friz, is it a splice-in connection, or is it an extra part with a female/male bit that just extends it a bit? And is it Tamiya or mini Tamiya? I will probably end up wiring in a switch, as I often forget to disconnect batteries from my guns; plus, there would be some areas (or if I want to be ninja) where I would prefer to have it off, but have the option to turn it on.

Also, some places say that it isn't great as a hop unit including Lozart on here (but not from first-hand experience). Do you agree with this, or is it fine (not looking for an amazing unit as I may be forced to sell everything if I am heading stateside in a few months). My current hop is pretty poor, so it probably needs replacing anyway, and I figure I can kill 2 birds with one stone here.

*Edit:

Just saw that you said you didn't have the LED part, so if you can't answer anything in the first part, don't worry.

Madbull Ultimate hop units are good. I've had three and still have one in my M16, but they are quite fussy as to which guns they fit in. One I had just would not sit right in a custom gun I made, so was swapped out for a basic plastic Element hop unit that worked fine. It also depends on what hop rubber and inner barrel you have. Madbull Black Python barrels fit fine, as they use quite thin walled tube, but another make (can't remember which now) was a very tight fit and didn't want to sit properly in the hole.

As to the tracer unit, it's not that much different in operation to a silencer type tracer unit, in that a light source illuminates the tracer bbs before they leave the barrel, but it is a much smaller unit and can be left in situ. If it was mine, I'd find some way to wire it into the motor side of the trigger switch, so that the LEDs only worked when the trigger was pulled, but also add in a separate switch, possibly on the negative wire, to cut power completely when you don't need tracer rounds.

• Supporters

My M4A1 I got from BigAl. It has a Star gearbox in a G&P receiver. Right now, this looks like my best choice for tracers, as long as it will fit. Just need to come up with a few more £, unfortunately won't probably arrive until next week; would like to play with it this weekend, as we have a 4 day weekend due to conferences.

• Supporters

If you want, I can go strip down mother M4 and post pics; I don't believe there is any defining features of the part that would make it easy to ID; I'll also ask Al if he knows what it is.

*Edit

Here is a quote from the selling page, it might say what the barrel make is:

" This time we have a G&P Body featuring Colt M4A1 trades, inside is a Star Gearbox. This has a CQB length outer barrel fitted with a Prometheus Black Python inner and a short stubby ccw/cw reversible silencer."

• Supporters

If you can work out the max diameter you can use inside front end of gun....

I would try to get an appropriate silencer tracer.

Main reason - spend all that money on hop/tracer, go to a night skirmish

main M4 goes tits up after first round....

Hop/tracer you are kind of screwed to start swapping over hops in the dark

or just unscrew silencer tracer unit & refit to other spare aeg - back in the game to light them up

• Supporters

Yes, I see your point. However, I already own a B&T tracer, and the only reason i would get a new tracer would be specifically for this M4. The B&T fits on all my guns bar this one, so if my M4 went out, I would just grab one of my other two guns, and screw the b&T onto them. Also, my M4 needs a new hop, as its current one isnt good enough. So I can get a hop and tracer in one.

• Supporters

Yes, I see your point. However, I already own a B&T tracer, and the only reason i would get a new tracer would be specifically for this M4. The B&T fits on all my guns bar this one, so if my M4 went out, I would just grab one of my other two guns, and screw the b&T onto them. Also, my M4 needs a new hop, as its current one isnt good enough. So I can get a hop and tracer in one.

I'd say go for it. If the existing hop is crap then the madbull one can't be any worse (and should be better - my point was that it isn't the best aftermarket hop you could get). Just be aware that in the same way as tracer mags do it only illuminates one side of the BB so it won't be AS bright as your B&T tracer. Ultimately as long as the hop unit actually functions properly you should do OK if you fit a decent rubber (I'm currently favouring Prometheus purples in my guns) and take the time to set it up properly.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.