R HOP

jay83

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I g hopped my G&G T4-18 and it improved the spread a little bit but it was not all that impressive, you aren't suddenly going to be hitting an ear at 30 metres that I can tell. The same can be said for the PDI barrel added, it didn't make much of a difference at all. Both individually did help and the end result is more accurate than the gun came stock but I don't think it was worth the outlay, especially the barrel.

Then I changed the airseal of my S&T Tar 21 professional (cylinder head, piston head, piston, nozzle) and it made a sizeable difference to the guns basic accuracy. It definitely still has hop issues I can see that but airseal was a large part of the problem I had before and fixing it made a notable difference and I out shoot a lot of people now where I couldn't before. I am considering an R hop for it, mainly because it removes the need for the hop to apply the pressure and since the hop chamber is custom to the gun and plastic and not very good then an R hop seems like a good idea. Right now it can't spin a 0.28g BB and while 0.25g is what most people use a heavier one drifts less in the wind and is more accurate and consistent. So improving the hop should help on basic accuracy and past the flat trajectory part of the range.

My own perrsonal feelings so far on my limited testing is that my gun is basically accurate enough at usable maximum range, the projectiles run out of power and drop off and before that point I can hit half a torso with about 5 rounds. I would like that to be 1 round, but I doubt that is realistically possible. The question really is how consistent can the gun be near its maximum range and can a set of upgrades and tweaks really get the system to the point where you can get it down to 1-2 rounds at flat trajectory range and my assumption is that you can.

But an R hop can't possibly extend the range, all it can do is improve the accuracy up until the projectile hits the ground, or alterantively it overhops them to get that extra range but its much harder to hit with. R hops aren't about extra range really, given the same hop setting (flat trajectory then drop off) what they might give you is more consistency in the hop resulting in a tighter grouping at the maximum range. So if your current guns spread at maximum range is too large too be accurate then maybe an R hop and some other upgrades focussing on particular problems in the gun will bring that spread down to make maximum range usable. But its not physically going to extend the range, at 350 fps its always going to be about 30 metres of flat trajectory and a fall off of 1.5m (height of a person) at 50 metres. Whether you can use either of these numbers depends on consistency. Right now I feel 30-35m is usable on my gun, 50m isn't because they are all over the place and my hope is R hop might help with that.

Take a look at the ATP, as reference this is a link to the 350 fps page which is where these numbers come from and they match what I personally see out in the woods: http://mackila.com/airsoft/ATP/07-b-07.htm

Someone on Saturday had one installed and i had a go with it and he was hitting targets 75metres with it. Its adding really nice backspin to the bb when its being fired. Almost like a TM kinda but even more impressive. Ive found a guy in Dundee that installs them. Thinking about doing mine, if i do are let you lads know if was worth it.

Can someone explain what an R hop is? I've seen a guy fire a gun with one and as has been said, it's impressive! Maybe it's "The future" as you're definately firing way beyond most AEG's. It's also cost effective.

Guest PT247

instead of just having the bucking over the slot with a nub on top you use a bit of flexible plastic under the bucking. They are less adjustable once fitted than a standard hop so you need to piss around getting the right height and then fine tune on the hop adjustment. A G-hop uses a small bit of bucking cut to the shape of the slot. Both need to be glued to the side edges of the slot

• Supporters

R hop does add range, as well as accuracy. The patch is longer and hugs the BB a lot more evenly, so its in contact with the shot for longer, and due to the curved nature of the contact piece, it keeps the shot centred far better so the performance is far more repeatable.

Standard hop acts as a brake on one side of the BB. The more hop you apply, the more the top of the BB gets slowed down. The bottom of the BB doesn't get slowed down because there's no brake acting on it, so more hop = faster spin.

Obviously if you spin too fast the hop sends the shots upwards, and spin too slow and the shots go down.

R hop allows you to impart the same level of spin without applying as much of a brake to the shot, because the contact patch is longer. This means that the spin lasts for longer, and since the spin lasts longer, the BB can fight gravity for longer = more range. Then the added accuracy comes from the centralising effect of the curve of the contact patch.

As I understand it from Hunterseeker5 on airsoft mechanics (you need to register but its a really good forum) the current theory with R hop is that because the spin is done over a longer period of time with less intervention the BB will spin around its geometric mass centre and wont wobble as it flies, the result of which is less air resistance and further flight path. Its also suggested that the BB is more likely to be spinning completely vertically which will extend the range compared to a slightly off centre spin from a bucking.

The spin speed of the BB is the same as it leaves the barrel between R hop and normal bucking, but that isn't really what R hop is fixing.

While I think 75m is unlikely it does appear to be true that R hop (and G hop less) produce a BB that flies further and more accurately.

• Supporters

All I can say is that I've tried it and there was no noticeable difference to a decent hopup rubber. The fellow airsoft mechanics I know and tried it, said the same. There are simply no magical things in airsoft unfortunately. These are like the miracle fuel savers for cars. They do sound good, but they just don't work.

Find the hopup rubber your gun likes, assemble the gun correctly, clean the barrel and the rubber with soapy water and then alcohol. If your barrel is not very good, get a straight one, like Marui, or the better precision barrel brands and use the best quality bbs. If you do this, you get the best performance you can have in AS.

• Supporters

That'll be Kingdom of Airsoft then, he has worked on a load of guns belonging to my team mates and he does some fantastic work. I have an R hop fitted by a previous owner in my Gspec Bar10 and it's a beast. Range and accuracy are great but as I haven't tested it with any other barrels or hops I really have nothing to compare against.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.