A&K M249 Para, What mods?

Snakeeyes75

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all, I've just bought a second hand A&K M249 (Para), I know a bit about some trigger issues, plus I've been told to ditch the hop unit in favour of the CA version (I've got one on the way). Chrono shows it firing at 410 fps so I'll be swapping the spring out. Here's a few questions?

1, What battery would it be best run on?

2, I take it a common mod is putting the battery in the ammo box, are there any guides for this?

3, Is the bucking (Classic army) any good? Would it be better to swap it over?

4, Would a TBB be of use, (Considering it's used as a support, suppression weapon)?

5, I've seen a couple of mods saying that they've wired it so that the ammo reload works off the main power source, is that viable or is it best just getting some AA rechargeable batteries?

I think that's it! If there's any other bits of wisdom worth mentioning then please feel free to let me know :)

3E1CEC14-D93A-4460-82C3-DCF4DB06FFE1_zps

• Supporters

Get a classic army magazine or one of the MAG soft pouch ones. The a&k ones are a bit poop. Tbb is a bit of a waste though.

I've changed the trigger switch on mine (maplin v3 anti tamper switch) as it was sticking when I got mine. I run it on a 7.4 Lipo with a burst wizzard mosfet to give me single shot for using at the malls. Mine has a blue (presumably Madbull) hop rubber fitted by the previous owner but I'm thinking of changing to a ca hop unit with the hsa nub and adjuster because the a&k one does three parts of F-all!

Hehe, cheers. I watched a YouTube vid of someone filling down the screw holes to get the feed unit to fit tighter, is that the issue with the standard box mag? I'm not really too bothered with single shot, would the 20a trigger switch mod be sufficient? Or would a MOSFET be a better option? I've had issues with MOSFETs burning out if the gun jams (rare I know). So the classic army hop is good, shall I just stick to the CA bucking? I noticed that the A&K hop is fairly a loose fit thing, pretty crappy, I get the feeling .2's are all its going to lift? Speaking of which, what BB weight should I use? Cheapo .2's were what I was thinking or would a .25 give me some kind of accuracy?

Ive got the G&P version and uses a higher capacity 7.4V LIPO which goes in the mag.

Would yours do the same ? I can link if its relevant ?

I can't see why not, Yeah if you could link to the battery that'd be a great help..

Cheers, The battery I have with it is an 8.4v 3300 NiMH. (Old, doesn't seem to hold it's charge for too long).

I take it that if I swapped for a LiPo then it'd be an idea to try to get the 3300mAh version? At the moment I wouldn't say it's fleecing itself in ROF but then I'll be changing the spring (As soon as my new one turns up). I chrono'd it and currently it's at 410fps!

• Supporters

Cheers, The battery I have with it is an 8.4v 3300 NiMH. (Old, doesn't seem to hold it's charge for too long).

I take it that if I swapped for a LiPo then it'd be an idea to try to get the 3300mAh version? At the moment I wouldn't say it's fleecing itself in ROF but then I'll be changing the spring (As soon as my new one turns up). I chrono'd it and currently it's at 410fps!

VP74_2200_35C_zpse0lprxkh.jpg

That one right there is what I run mine on. But then I don't use mine all day....

If you keep the current plastic handguard then you can fit a pretty hefty battery in but just be aware that if you fit the railed MK46 style handguards the space in the lower half dwindles pretty rapidly!

• Supporters

Yep, no worries. I used to have one of those very batteries in my M4!

• Supporters

Cool :)

I was worried about the wiring as I've read about the trigger having issues, this one seems to be fine but I know it's not a biggy to swap it out.

If it's the original switch it WILL fail. They are crap. The maplin switch is about three quid, the gearbox is pretty easy to get out (there's disassembly videos on Youtube) and then the switch just unbolts - you don't even need to open the gearbox! The one thing you will need to do is cut down the arm on the new switch because it's way too long!

If it's the original switch it WILL fail. They are crap. The maplin switch is about three quid, the gearbox is pretty easy to get out (there's disassembly videos on Youtube) and then the switch just unbolts - you don't even need to open the gearbox! The one thing you will need to do is cut down the arm on the new switch because it's way too long!

Cool, Yeah, I'll give it a go. I watched a pretty good online tutorial. It's a nice gun to work on as everything pulls apart so easily :)

• Supporters

I like mine. Just the mags are a pain in the arse.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.