what do you look for in a website

team flex

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi there guys, I was wondering on some feedback, because My mum owns an equestrian shop which is quite big, however they are looking forward and believe (I think so to) that at the end of the day the internet is a huge opportunity which they are currently missing out on. So my question is, what do you look for in a website? Anything could be possible, because they are heavily investing, and I thought no harm would be done in getting some feedback on the forums, after all it doesn't matter what the topic is about, a professional website is a professional website, so if you could please help me out and list some things e.g.

Easy layout

Multiple payment options

FAQ'S easy contact

etc etc

thanks for the help guys, means a lot

P.S I am not doing the website so don't worry, anything is possible :)

I think easy layout is one of the best things... I can't lie but.. JBBG's website is pretty well laid out...

yes that and a lot of advertising i imagine gets them to the point they are at :/

As Frizz said, a good Layout is a necessity. I'll actually avoid/give up using sites if their layout bugs me, which is a shame because they sometimes have the things you want but cant find!

I think in this day and age, PayPal is a must. Not necessarily because it's the best or anything like that, but I'd find it pretty shady if a business didn't have PayPal as an option.

Colour scheme comes into it a lot also, they can do a lot to set the mood of the site and whether people enjoy browsing. I like the colour scheme of AFUK and feel comfortable with it, it's very easy on the eyes. Zeroin however, I find makes me feel less "at home".

• Supporters

Don't reinvent the wheel. Especially if you don't have a lot of experience with it. These are at least two full time jobs: designing user interface and coding it.

If you want a shop, use a ready made webshop engine, like opencart. Then pay a designer to create the unique design for your shop. If you just want to be present on the net, use facebook - and maybe if the shop is something special then pinterest, instagram, twitter, etc. There are many free papers on how to use those effectively to increase your sales.

As a professional programmer I would say: only create new code if you can't find one already done. Creating and maintaining custom code is the most expensive way to do it.

Don't reinvent the wheel. Especially if you don't have a lot of experience with it. These are at least two full time jobs: designing user interface and coding it.

If you want a shop, use a ready made webshop engine, like opencart. Then pay a designer to create the unique design for your shop. If you just want to be present on the net, use facebook - and maybe if the shop is something special then pinterest, instagram, twitter, etc. There are many free papers on how to use those effectively to increase your sales.

As a professional programmer I would say: only create new code if you can't find one already done. Creating and maintaining custom code is the most expensive way to do it.

I am not creating it :P. they are paying tens of thousands for a website to be professionally designed and wanted some feedback so I came here. Tell you what, if I was creating it I would have a big collection of airsoft guns atm :P

thanks for the help :)

As Frizz said, a good Layout is a necessity. I'll actually avoid/give up using sites if their layout bugs me, which is a shame because they sometimes have the things you want but cant find!

I think in this day and age, PayPal is a must. Not necessarily because it's the best or anything like that, but I'd find it pretty shady if a business didn't have PayPal as an option.

Colour scheme comes into it a lot also, they can do a lot to set the mood of the site and whether people enjoy browsing. I like the colour scheme of AFUK and feel comfortable with it, it's very easy on the eyes. Zeroin however, I find makes me feel less "at home".

yes of course, they are deciding on a colour scheme and I take your point, thanks a lot. A good layout should also be there. As for paypal, they aren't actually, but for stripe https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stripe&rlz=1C1MSIM_enGB628GB628&oq=stripe&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.1697j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I think you will find many people who buy equistrian put it all an a card, and also I am told paypal takes a very big slice of the money, and is a very expensive option. Thanks for your support!

If you're paying 5 figures to have a website made (saw you coming) then you dont need any advice from these forums. If they cant get it perfect for that price i'd jump on your stead and go pillage their village

Contrary to popular belief, a good layout means very little in success of a website. See amazon for example.

Google can't see a good human interface, it will only see what it wants to see so a good successful website will be built from the ground up aiming to please the search engine. Google the term SEO. Learn about it, live it, breathe it and manipulate it. It's a dark art of witchcraft and they do keep moving the goalposts.

Time served is also important, as is unique text. Don't just copy and paste the description off another Website or supplier.

Customer service is paramount, customers should have even their mundane emails answered by midday, each day. And within minutes when arriving within office hours.

If you can't afford to invest heavily into advertising and SEO, what's your USP you are literally competing with other shops around the world. What can you offer them they don't?

A fantastic website is no good on the 16th page of google, non one will find you.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.