In game puzzels

Pyro

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Was watching this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oBx028Cr54

at 0:33, player 188 is playing a buzz wire game. I imagine to achieve some sort of objective.

What're peoples thoughts on having things like that in game? Something you have to focus on while your teamates cover you. I much prefere it to a 'press this button to win' objective that you can hit as you run past. Lends itself to more tactical play me thinks.

Pyro.

• Supporters

Yeah I like it although I would prefer something more realistic, ie defuse this device, it could work along the same lines as operation, ie don't let the part touch the sides.

I know of a site that used codes, these were written in random languages taken from sci-fi or fantasy books like elvish from LOTR as part of an escape and evasion game.

Seems pretty fun :)

At landwarrior there was a game where we had to find 5 laptops, literally a smashed out broken laptop... It hilarious watching people run while holding the screen because the laptop was flopping all over the place with pieces being shot out as they ran XD

Aw, broken laptops are no fun. I want to runaround with something that does something :P

• Supporters

Aw, broken laptops are no fun. I want to runaround with something that does something :P

Hmmm - within reason though,

Trying to play "Bop it !!!" in the middle of a fire fight is way too friggin' mental to concentrate on

but yeah something that requires take/find something, then fight to gain control of area & use that device to arm/disarm

well stuff like that but not too crazy or intense that it gets nigh on impossible to complete the objective with average players

I'm slightly biased to bop-it as I have the office record :P

I know not for everyone, but I think some people would be up for the challenge of tuning out the shouting and bangs and BBs and really having to focus on something in the middle of a fire fight. So, something like simon says, or, as I saw on one guys homemade 'bomb' a mastermind game you had to solve to disarm it.

• Supporters

I'm sure something like a Maplin mini-kit LED game can be knocked up

then probably wired into say a sound bomb module - very loud 12v alarm bell

then this would signal game over if puzzle/bomb disarmed

But like gameplay it has to be balanced enough to be a challenge but not impossible

Bop-it - one of them devices you can't put down one minute...

and then next you wanna smash against the wall

"I frggin twisted it ya dumb ass pile of $hit" - AAAArrrrrgggghhhhhhhhh

(yeah driven nuts by that sod thanks to my kids)

Yeah don't make it too complex if using Simon etc...

Picture it now - ya squad leader comes out of the objective....

FFS - can you guys keep it down a bit

I'm trying to f*cking concentrate in there but you lot making all the noise keep putting me off

can't you lot kill each other a little more quietly or stealthy - jjjjjeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz

• Supporters

You want a game that resets when there isn't activity for a while and that will signal the end of the game when you reach a certain score or something. If hit you put it down and it resets the next player to pick it up has to start again.

*Head slap*

How do you plan on not dying

*Head slap*

When you're under fire

*Head slap*

If you can't even draw

*Head slap*

When I'm giving you these love taps

*Head slap*

What the hell are you even doing here?

*Head slap*

SIR! I GOT LOST ON THE WAY TO COLLEGE SIR!

-Jarhead

I like the idea, trying to do stuff under pressure and fire is an interesting idea, as mentioned it could be made into something slightly more relevant, a code breaker or used to open a box to gain "intel" etc rather than a childs game plonked in the site somewhere.

Defo something I would like to see in the futre

At the STALKER Milsim we had to type in a series of password and codes into a laptop which was centered in the site meaning all enemies came at the building making it very interesting for me to touch type and shoot,

Does lend to teamwork. Knowing one of your squad mates will essentially become a gunless VIP for a minute or so and you have to cover them. I image immature (as in, not formed for long) teams could have problems deciding who should cover vs. who should solve the puzzle... Or all try and solve it at the same time. And we've all seen how that work's on in the crystal maze :|

In all fairness, I think its hard for skirmish organisers to arrange this when they are running weekly games.

We do this for our milsim games and it takes a lot of planning and resources to have something fresh all the time.

One of the reasons I got bored of straight skirmishing is the lack of creativity on the part of the organiser.

It was becoming apparent (to me at least) that they were just reheating simple capture the flag games and counting

the walk on fees.

If you want this kind of tactical play, why dont you go to a milsim or at least a semi- milsim ?

Some games, which are often misleadingly advertised as a milsim have a hybrid combination, where they might allow hi-caps for example, but offer these prop orientated games ?

Dragon valley in newport does this stuff all day, yesterdays game was a world where meat is super valuable and theres no other food.

Yesterdays gamed were

1 - warm up one hit kill
2 - attack the base of the ranchers/rustlers (switched round but used different buildings)
3 - establish 5 link points for a communicatioin system (basically cod domination)

4 - losing team has to get a satellite dish to top of a certain hill to establish a counter communication system.

5 - capture the 3 cows (3 wooden/blanketed cows on wheels, great fun) teams with communication devices working (both teams I think) were given maps with the cows location
6 - defend the cows for winning team

7 - gather ingredients for the food, one basket either side (cannot take food from other teams basket but you could from dead players) some ingredients were not proper ingredients and those could be planted in opposing baskets.

Was 25 quid for a ridiculously well organised day, including free tea and coffee. Everyone was chronoed, safe guns were stickered, all players were numbered in case of complaints and the rules/pyro uses well explained.

• Supporters

Sounds brilliantly thought out

and defending the cows must have been "a mooooo sing"

(soz I'll get me coat)

Kudos to site chrono/stickers/number players/safety briefings

shame I'm in Surrey but sounds very well done

(been going a while coz I'm sure I stumbled across the name/site whilst browsing)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.