Tippman M4 - A Field Review

Lowlander
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Today I had the pleasure of splaying a tippmann m4 for today's games at black ops Bristol.

Other than FPS this is review will not be very scientific as i had not time to take any other metrics and so is based on my experience from the day.

In the box - Wow, being used to getting a gun, magazine maybe a clearing rod and a manual on two sides of paper the contents of the box is a breath of fresh air. Not only do you get the gun itself, you also get a single co2 80rd midcap, a very comprehensive manual in plain and proper English that covers virtually everything. also included in the box as standard is a black flash hider to replace the stock orange one, a stamped steel armorers tool for dis-assembly of the gun and a bag of tools and parts containing spare seals, grease, all the allen keys you ever need for the gun, small rail sections and screws and all the parts to convert form CO2 to HPA.
Conversion from CO2 to HPA remote line and vise versa takes about 5 mins and is very easy following the instructions in the manual.
The gun itself.
Is is pleasantly light but does not feel in any way cheep or flimsy with a aluminium receiver, buffer tube and barrel with polymer handguard/rail system, grip and stock.
The selector has a nice positive feel and clicks solidly between modes. The current rental guns hold up well the the beating they get at times so the tippmann should have no problems at all.
When setup for HPA the gun feeds flawlessly from both high cap and mid cap magazines.
Performance:
The gun was new out the box at the start of the day with no prior setup or modifications.
Out of the box the velocity was about 420FPS but adjustment is simple simply requiring the rear body pin to be pushed through to split the receiver.
The velocity is adjusted by turning a small grub screw in the upper receiver will the required velocity is achieved.
Velocity was set at ~ 320FPS with .2s at the start of the day and was not further adjusted during the day. The day was played with .25g blasters and blaster devils.
ROF is fairly low compared to most AEGs at less than 20 rounds per seconds - ball park figure and not measured. As the gun wore in over the course of the day and after a very slight tweak to the ROF adjuster a plesaing and quite satisfactory rate was achieved by lunch.
Range - once the hopup was set and had a few mags through to bed in range was at least on par with my personal guns and further tweaking / heavier bbs could probably eek out more range. one set the hop is very stable. longest confirmed kill was @ ~170 feet / ~50m.
Air use - Through out the day i was using a small 13ci HPA bottle, with a full charge of about 3000PSI i was able to get almost 800 shots between fills with a total of ~3000 shots fire over the course of the day.
Gameplay- This gun is awesome fun to play with. the kick from the action is at least as powerful as any GBBR I have had the pleasure of using. but with a sharper feel, this combined with the loud and sharp report when firing is great when firing single shots and fantastic when firing automatic something you simply would not be able to do with an equivalent GBBR.
A fantastic piece of kit that I shall be adding to my own collection as soon as I can, Although I have not been able to try there should be room for lots of customization with after market parts. A couple of small upgrade will make it a truly formidable weapon on the field.

although i haven't fired / played with one i have had the pleasure of holding on and must agree it's a very light gun. was amazed at the weight of it when i held one.

Am I the only one that is slightly disappointed by this news? I was expecting it to revolutionize airsoft and become the new standard and benchmark. And I do still think it will, but for all the wrong reasons. It muddies the lines between paintball and airsoft a bit too much for my liking.

I don't like the way the FPS is so easily manipulated up and down. I don't trust people not to abuse it, we already have regular instances of people lying passt chrono, by using heavier bbs than they claim, so the ability to sneak off and boost the fps on the sly makes me uncomfortable.

I assume with the HPA setup that means you can run highcaps and box mags to abuse the hpa consistency and absolutely pulverise everything on the field.

I dont like the way it takes the reality and immersion away from airsoft and places it firmly within the field of paintball, which is more win win win at all costs. I feel it removes the tactical ability and mil sim style of playing toy soldiers we all like.

Just my 2p

• Supporters

That's no different to a normal aeg and a high cap, that's not realistic.

Loads of guns have quick fps changes too so that's nothing new either, the only difference is that this is Hpa powered.

How can you say you expected this to revolutionise airsoft when all this was obviously apparent before it was even launched and then be annoyed about it?

I would say that because the ROF is relatively low and can easily be surpassed by AEGs never mind polarstar type guns, the abuse of highcap and drum mags is less of an issue.

the FPS adjustment has a couple of solutions, the first is an official tournament lock that replaces the rear body pin from tippmann, the one we plan on using is putting a large cable tie in such a manner that it stops the gun being able to split, or just random chono during the day,

• 10 months later...

I have read that there is what could be called in the paintball fraternity tournament locks for the guns, maybe these could become more the norm in airsoft.

Another solution could be for the site marshalls to test the guns when people are in the safe zone, i know this is both time consuming for the marshall but it will stop people from thinknig they can get away with it all the time. It is common practace at tournments your gun gets chronied and checked reandomly after each game, this is something i would like to see more of in the walk on world.

• Root Admin

Well the last post was close to a year ago but hey-ho.

Tournament locks already exist for most mainstream regulators (Firebase, Ninja etc.) so locking down an HPA rifle is pretty easy for marshals. There's also a tournament lock system on the Tippmann, what with it coming over from Paintball a bit where this is pretty important.

I owned 3 of these, currently still own two which are modded. Once modded, they perform extremely well, ROF can be put into the 20's and range can be extended too :)

Loving my tippy

Did try a heavy bolt .... But I don't like it to be honest

Did you grab one of KP? I have a friend who's been doing some machine work for me, done a cracking TDC mod, springs, barrel cutting/crowning etc. Me and him are working on some other bits for ROF and hevay bolts etc. Will be a hell of a lot cheaper than the US stuff :)

• 3 months later...

Did you grab one of KP? I have a friend who's been doing some machine work for me, done a cracking TDC mod, springs, barrel cutting/crowning etc. Me and him are working on some other bits for ROF and hevay bolts etc. Will be a hell of a lot cheaper than the US stuff :)

I've got one of these still new to airsoft. Just want advice on what mods are good for it. Have installed the high velocity valve and firing average 450fps (dmr) currently running on the co2 mags. Next purchase is the tank and line. But you guys have the experience. What do you recommend?

Btw I love the gun.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my Tippmann couple if weeks ago they are awesome best gun I've ever used. I have the super bolt in mine from Incentive designs and love the recoil. Can't see me owning any other primary now. I want the cqb version at some point lol.

I've never actually seen a Daytona gun yet so wouldn't rule it out. But very impressed with the Tippmann plenty of bits to do to make it my own also need to get some more mags in the week lol.

Archived