HPA is it over powered?

sp00n

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

From what you've said it sounds like the 'consistency' you're describing is just using a surplus of air so there is 'consistently' always enough air, not consistenly the same volume of air released each time, which was what they were talking about.

I dont know enough about HPA, but assuming the volume of air released with each shot is actually more precise/consistent each compared to an AEG, the main factor my nerd-friends considered the instability was the spread of pressure within the air, caused by the air quickly changing between different pressures as it goes from tank to tube to out the nozzle.

The 'cushion of air' in the barrel around the BB would effect how it's coating of air/pressure is formed and the amount of it, and that's the whole point in barrel bore making any kind of difference. The idea that the cushion can be made larger and therefore better by a significantly wider bore is a fantasy, as there will be more room for inconsistency in the pressure along this cushion, which would have the opposite effect, or at least counter act any posistive effect.

In terms of 'bouncing around' in the barrel, my friends said that regardless of how much space to bounce around the BB has, that if it is significantly trying to bounce-around then an airsoft gun simply isn't precision enough for the barrel bore to matter, unless a total extreme then ofc it'll be much worse, and that as long as the barrel bore was wide enough for it not to get stuck due to being not precisely spherical, it doesn't matter.

At this point i gave up and got another beer, and will do so again now :)

But the lasting impression i got from the whole evenings debate was; that airsoft guns simply aren't precision enough tools to worry about any of this shite, and it's just a tinkering/pimp-my-riding indulgence that we all try to justify. That when youre just trying to hit a person with a 6mm ball of plastic within the same range you could chuck a rock at them, it doesn't matter. That alot of things that supposedly make a difference is just that 90% of people wont buy an 'upgrade' for something and then tell people it made no difference, the mind will invent one.

hug02.jpg

That's pretty much how i looked when getting this lecture from my mates, only perhaps eyes slightly more closed/red :)

• Supporters

Once the BB leaves the end of the barrel the spin creates lift. That lift will be reduced if the turbulence generated by the spin becomes too great which can easily be exacerbated by surface imperfections in the BB interfering with the laminar layer of air surrounding the BB. To me at least it seems there would be far greater impact on range and consistent shot grouping from external forces acting on the BB and from the surface of the BB itself for this very reason.

Once the BB leaves the end of the barrel the spin creates lift. That lift will be reduced if the turbulence generated by the spin becomes too great which can easily be exacerbated by surface imperfections in the BB interfering with the laminar layer of air surrounding the BB. To me at least it seems there would be far greater impact on range and consistent shot grouping from external forces acting on the BB and from the surface of the BB itself for this very reason.

I look forward/hope to get to play airsoft in space, then we'll all def need HPA!!!

• Supporters

I look forward/hope to get to play airsoft in space, then we'll all def need HPA!!!

Ah but you wouldn't though. In a vacuum there's no air resistance to slow the BB down. Your shots would basically carry on infinitely until they end up in the heart of a star or pinging off a comet. Or tearing a hole through a multi-million dollar satellite.

• Supporters

Wouldn't need hop or anything!

AAAAALLLLLLLLL OF THE RANGE.

• Supporters

Only if they were made of cardboard or something.

• Supporters

Or another person ;)

Not enough mass. You'd achieve 340FPS (or whatever) and that would remain constant. To be fair the only reason it would damage satellites is because they have a habit of orbiting at ludicrous speeds so the closing velocity would be high. If you went up on the space shuttle (or some dodgy as fuck piece of repurposed Soviet crap) and shot at your mates with your P* then you'd be travelling at the same relative velocity so you'd just hit them with a 340FPS BB.

Hunterseeker 5 did an experiment to try and determine if the orga barrel was good because it was precision engineered, wide bore or actually because it has a long secondary crown. He did this experiement by making a bit that can be used to widen the end of a barrel in much the same way the orga barrels do, and you can get the other elements in other barrels. The end result of this experiment was the tapering works to improve accuracy on all types of barrels (wide bore and tight bore). Its simply more accurate to flare the barrel out a little bit at the end. Orga has no better precision engineering than any other company out there. Whether tight verses wide is measurably different I don't know, mainly because the two don't really apply to the same gun so we never see all else being equal. But the orga flare is definitely worth having and you can pick up the parts to do it from Hunter seeker armouries or go ask air-lab to import it like I did with the lapping kit.

• Supporters

I run an HPA weapon and i think they are completely fair. Mine is doing 330Fps although I could easily crank it up to 350Fps with that being consistent ever shot but i don't plus I also use a speed trigger which mean I can fire as many as i can in semi but looking at the performance of firing it in semi for as fast as my finger can move then it fires just like a PTW. the trigger response on those are good as good if not better without any mods to the trigger.

now i think they hurt more as most HPA users use a heavier BB, mine is doing 330 on .20s but use .28s and if you use the right setup with your barrel, bucking and hop then they can be really good both accuracy and range.

I also have a fully converted GBBR to HPA not the tapped mag thing this one is internally converted and that's fair game as well.

• Supporters

I think people whining about HPA guns hurting more or whatever are either being fannies (highly likely) or they're buyin into what they've been told which is that HPA guns hurt more and so their brains are telling them it hurt more.

Once a BB leaves the barrel it doesn't make a jot of difference what propelled it, if it's got 1j of energy at the muzzle it could be fired by a rail gun and it'll still hurt the same amount as one from an AEG. The only reason HPA is becoming more popular is consistency, when you can guarantee that ALL of your shots will be within a 2fps margin you can get great 'accuracy' (I've said before there's no such thing as an accurate airsoft gun, only consistent ones) from your gun.

Joule creep notwithstanding, there's no difference in the ballistics of a BB from an HPA gun to that of an AEG.

NONE.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.