Noob from Sheffield here

THS_g00s

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Noob from Sheffield here. I have been playing at Tac House Spartan in Chesterfield. They have been awesome and extremely welcoming to me and my brother (less of a noob than me but still...)

Just wanted to say hello rather than just hammering the Classifieds. I have recently picked up an ICS MP5-SD6 and a WE Glock 17 Gen4 and would like some basic maintenance tips, and some perspective on different gasses for my pistol etc if anyone has time to share?

Thanks all for any input, and maybe I will see a few of you in a skirmish sometime soon!

Goose

• Supporters

For GBB pistols, use high power green / ultra gas. Unless it's hot outside, then powerful gas can damage the gun. ICS MP5... I want one :( Glad you are liking you games, most people are friendly and trusting of newbies, so glad to hear you are feeling welcome. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

*Note:

Oh, and I have the same pistol :)

If you ever have any issues with it, send me a message; I've stripped mine more times than I have fired it (OK, maybe not...)

For GBB pistols, use high power green / ultra gas. Unless it's hot outside, then powerful gas can damage the gun. ICS MP5... I want one :( Glad you are liking you games, most people are friendly and trusting of newbies, so glad to hear you are feeling welcome. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

*Note:

Oh, and I have the same pistol :)

If you ever have any issues with it, send me a message; I've stripped mine more times than I have fired it (OK, maybe not...)

Thanks, the MP5 is awesome when you get a rail fitted to it and a good sight. It made a whole load of difference. I am thinking about trading it for something along the lines of an M4, i like the size and style of the M4 a bit more, but the MP5 is such a versatile and configurable gun that fitted what I needed at the time before I got a second gun.

And I will give you a shout 100% on that one. I was very cautious, even though its second hand it's only been used once, and I have very little experience in tearing down guns haha.

• Supporters

I'm from Sheffield originally, though living in Doncaster now.

You should have a look for "The Stan" on Facebook or Google, it's a CQB site set in the old Stanley Tools factory on Ruttland Road, just outside the city centre. It only recently reopened under new management, and everyone's still finding their feet, but Skirmish Airsoft - the organisers, are about as welcoming as they come to new players.

I might see you around Tac House or The Stan some time, as they're two of my regular haunts. It's a really good region for interesting CQB sites.

+1 on owning a WE G17 Gen4 as well, I've been an advocate of them for a good couple of years now, I've modded off spec parts to fit and all sorts, so give us a shout if you need maintenance help. Though I generally say to leave well enough alone until you notice a dip in performance.

I run mine on propane as it's more cost effective, especially as I run WE's gas rifles as well, but prior to that I'd just go through whatever green gas they sold in the shop. Don't worry about parts breaking in the summer using strong gasses either, the WE Glocks are designed to take CO2 without modification, they can take a fair beating.

Nozzles and outer barrels are known weak spots though, so it doesn't hurt to try and familiarise yourself with the internals should you ever need to sort anything out.

I've got a video on my channel showing how the pistol works:

If you want to learn how to strip it down, check out La Zouche Customshop on YouTube, he's done a great 4 part guide of the TM Glock 17, which for all intents and purposes is demonstrably identical when it comes to taking them apart. There's a link to his videos in the description of the one I just linked if you have any trouble finding it.

Welcome to the forums :)

Awesome! Thanks.

We were looking at The Stan but we couldn't find anything up to date saying that it was still running after 2010. That is loads closer that Tac House for me and having a second place to visit would be great.

I will check out your YouTube too!

I will see you there one weekend.

• Supporters

Yeah, a long time ago a company called Op-Tac used to run games out of The Stan. Back then the guys from Tac House were all on the pay roll for it, they're what made it such a great site.

But then the land owner and Op Tac's owner fell out, the guys staffing the games for him went off to set up Tac House and then it just slowly degraded until Op Tac died a death.

Skirmish Airsoft reopened it around December last year, they've cleared it of debris to satisfy H&S and they're doing a stirling job of working on game plans and regen points etc. it's a bit bumpy but given about 6 months it'll probably be back to being one of the strongest CQB sites in the country.

Skirmish Airsoft also run Skirmish CQB in Wentworth Rotherham, just a short spit from Chapeltown. It's in an old College accommodation block, there's videos on my channel. That's an awesome CQB site too, great mix of in and out door.

Sweet! I have just managed to find the website for the stan. Do they do half days or whole days only? I think the Mrs would murder me if I take off for a whole day to play with toy guns haha.

I just thought of a question too, I just got my UKARA registration confirmation. Does that mean I am classed as a member at these sites, or is it £40 per site for membership, per year? I only ask because the email says all registration questions should be sent to my skirmish site, and the number begins with the short name of the site.

Usually membership is free (but some sites do charge) and you just pay for the game day your attending, the letters before your 5 digit number is the site you are a member off

And yes your now a member and have a defence for IF for some reason the old bill pull you over and your kits on the back seat or in the boot

Usually membership is free (but some sites do charge) and you just pay for the game day your attending, the letters before your 5 digit number is the site you are a member off

And yes your now a member and have a defence for IF for some reason the old bill pull you over and your kits on the back seat or in the boot

So the UKARA registration is £40 per year, but site membership is (usually) free? I am just having trouble deciphering whether or not I book as a member or non-member on the Skirmish airsoft webpage that Airsoft-Ed mentioned. The membership on their booking page states £40 per year, hence my guess that it was UKARA "membership" or database registration.

Sorry if that's garbled, please feel free to tell me to hush haha.

Airsoft is a money pit though, holster, gas and large BB purchase £50 down, and then I need to pick up some decent boots that are more comfortable that DR Martens haha. I can't justify the Camo to the Mrs so I think I am going down the operator route and going Coyote/Black load out that is a bit harder wearing than the Matalan cargo trousers I am rocking at the minute! Roll on payday.

Is the £40 what you were charged to be added to ukara database ?? If so, that's not right as its free but if your site membership is £40 a year then in my opinion, something's wrong somewhere

Just wear civilian clothing with decent boots mate plus eye protection and gloves, you can build up your load out over time

Yeah the cost was £40 for the year but it wasn't really explained what for. It was assumed that it was for the UKARA to be honest. It could well be my misunderstanding.

To be honest, I would be happy to support the site with that anyway because of the help they have given us when starting out.

I am looking for a holster and then I will give it a break for a little while. I have spent the best part of £250 in 2 months on it haha.

That makes sense now to me (duuuuh)

I'm the same, someone helps me immensely that in return I will always give loyalty to them

Just use your pocket or a pouch, that's what my sons do when they use my Beretta, granted I've put my old holster in the pouch aswell but that means nothing hanging off there leg & no more lost mags :)

• Supporters

There's site membership, and there's UKARA membership.

Site membership is specific to the site you're at, or a group of sites run by the same company. It entitles you to discounts, usually there's a lower rate to play at the site. So for example for non members it'd be £35 a day to play, but once you pay for membership which is valid for 1 year, you get a £5 or so knocked off the entry fee to make it £30. So if membership is £40 and you're planning on playing more than 8 times, then you'll make up the money you spent on membership, yeah?
There could be other discounts too, it depends on the site. Sometimes sites host free membership days and things like that to make it a bit more enticing, as 8 times a year might be a lot for some people. I know most limit it to once a month, a few years ago I'd go 2 or 3 times a month at the same few sites so membership really made sense.

But yeah, often sites will ask you to become a member before they send off your UKARA form, or stamp it for you. Because the UKARA number sort of ties you to their site, as you said the first 3 things in the number are a short code for the site name. For me it's SKI because I'm registered with Skirmish Airsoft. For you it might be TAC?

UKARA is just a database so retailers know you're backed by an insured airsoft site. They give their say so to add you to the database by stamping your form 3 times in no less than 2 months. They scratch your back, so they want you to scratch theirs... Though given that you've done so by playing there makes charging you for UKARA seem a bit dickish to me, but that's just the way things are.

Doesn't mean you can't go and play elsewhere, it just means that if you play somewhere 3 times, get your UKARA and then bog off, when you come to renewing it you'll have to play there 3 times again, or get it from a different place. 'Cos they won't have seen enough of you to account for the 3 games you need.

• Supporters

Oh and yeah, The Stan do run mid week night games I think. Don't know how regular they are, and they might only be announced on the Facebook page, I'm not 100% sure.

Sorry, forgot to mention it before.

That actually makes sense now I think about it Ed. The members session is £5 less than non member cost, but my UKARA was filled in at the same time. I had been going a few months by this point so that's all OK. I think I was just confused.

You weren't by chance at Tac House on Sunday were you?

Too many options for everything in airsoft haha.

Any suggestions for a holster that had a spare mag pouch but can take a flashlight mounted on a barrel?

Thanks all for being helpful!

• Supporters

Nah not been for months. Money troubles =[

Difficult needs to meet in a holster... You could probably get a fabric one you could adjust to fit whatever you want and have a little pouch for a spare mag... But personally all fabric holsters need to die in a fire lol.

Rigid plastic holsters are where it's at. Fabric can flex, which means the weight of the pistol causes them to bounce around, which makes running very uncomfortable and can also cause the pistol to fly out. It can also make you lose your magazine, because the fabric can flex in a way that makes it hit the mag release button. They're just bad all around, especially leg drop ones. They take the whole "flap around causing discomfort" thing to a new level.

Also, it sounds like a good thing to have your pistol mag fit into your holster, but when you come to needing it for a reload, it's honestly a massive pain in the cock. I'd rather have the mag in a pocket than on my holster, because my holster is on my right. I'm already holding my gun in my right hand. Reaching around to my right with my left hand is difficult, and reloading my pistol left handed just feels wrong and takes too long. Gun on the side of your strong hand. Mags on the opposite. Look on ebay for singular pistol mag pouches, I bet you could get one for less than a fiver. Airsoft is definitely a money pit, but if you can make things easier for yourself, and keep things cheap, then it's a win win, right? Lol.

Anyway though, rigid holsters are a lot more solid... Duh haha. They hold the pistol more securely, they're 100% reliable, and they don't bounce around at all. Even the leg drop platforms are great, it feels like they've been sutured to your leg, just without the pain lol.

I'm not a holster expert though... Finding one that allows a mounted tac light can be tricky. Rigid holsters are obviously designed to fit one shape and that one shape alone, so they can be fixed for only one specific type of light. They're very limiting.

If you want to have a browse, then Safariland, or custom Kydex are probably your two best bets. But you're probably going to find they cost more than the pistol did.

WE Glocks are also wider than their real steel counterparts, so if you want a WE Glock 17 holster you can either get the one made by WE - because that's designed for their overly fat Glocks. Or you can get one for a real steel Glock 21, which is the .45 ACP version and more or less the exact same dimensions as the WE G17, so bear that in mind when making your searches.

• Supporters

Hi there!

This video will show you hot to dis-assemble, clean and lube and then re-assemble your pistol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB_bgqulX5g.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a similar video for your MP5.

Hope this helps (-;

You should clean your weapon regularly and lube it every so often!

Errrmmmm... That's a real one.

Not relevant.

Thanks for the holster advice Ed. I checked out a few today and I think I'll wait until payday and I can afford a nice one. They are expensive though. Watched a few of your videos today too!

Decided I am going to try to pick up a stubby M4 too, its my favourite gun, along with the Glock. So the MP5 is up for sale/swaps after only a few games haha.

• Supporters

Remember, Safariland products won't fit WE G17s ATM. However, their new 578 Profit holster will. It's not out yet, but will be soon. I will have a few in April to demo with, if you could survive till then. The only reason I have a Safariland holster to fit mine is that Bill Rogers (inventor of the Kydex holster and inventor for Safariland) custom formed one for me and him

Remember, Safariland products won't fit WE G17s ATM. However, their new 578 Profit holster will. It's not out yet, but will be soon. I will have a few in April to demo with, if you could survive till then. The only reason I have a Safariland holster to fit mine is that Bill Rogers (inventor of the Kydex holster and inventor for Safariland) custom formed one for me and him

I certainly could wait. Let me know:) sounds very interesting. I have had a few people tell me today that any glock 20/21 holster will fit but I have been dubious.

• Supporters

Alrighty then, since you are interested...

Here's a post a made a bit ago about the ProFit:

"Safariland is the best, and thats not only my opinion. To B's point, yes they are expensive, but that is due to all their ALS holsters being made for the military. However, Safariland's newest holster that was revealed at Shot 2015 is different. It doesnt use the standard ALS Sysem, but uses a trigger gaurd lock system. Also, one of its biggest selling points is that it is made to fit all but two modern handguns, SIG's new 320 and one other. I have been personally assured that it will fit all of my airsoft pistols that have moderatly accurate trigger gaurds. Also, as this is made for the public, it only will cost around $55, quite a bit less than other holsters of similar quality. Also, Bill Rogers himself said he would be willing to get into the Airsoft business, and as such we are keeping in touch. He is visiting in mid April, and is planning to bring over several of these 578s for me to use as demos, so I will be demoing them at The Mall around that time. Also, with enough support, I may be able to set up a Safariland and HolsterOps distributer here in the UK with him."

I really only play in Reading, so I do not know if you would be able to come and see them, as I would be showing them at The Mall. I will probably keep one for myself (of course) and sell the others off. So people could maybe pick one up then. I can not gaur tee anything, though, as I don't know how many Mr Rogers will bring with him...

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.