Deans connecter question

Jack Reacher

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Yes it does mate

Battery's will need female part of deans (so no shorting out occurs) the weapon will need the male part along with charger leads

If your soldering yourself, scratch the brass lugs on the deans for a better a keyed surface and tin (solder melted) on the bare wires and the brass lugs, put together and heat up

PUT heat shrink on the wire before soldering together and ALWAYS strip and solder 1 battery wire at a time

They're easy to fit but like anything, its daunting the first time you do it

You can go on eBay and get them with pre soldered wires, just snip off the amount you need from the battery & connector, wire together, solder the joints and some heat shrink, job done :)

Yes you can, if you get something like an iMax B6 from ebay, it comes with different charge leads for different battery's

• Supporters

Another question sorry , I presume if I got a charger with standard connectors that you can get some sort of adapter .cheers jack

Yes you can.

Have a look at www.componentshop.co.uk

Or you could be lazy and get a patch lead made gor your rif . Most are small tamya to male deans. Then you dont need to void any warrantie. How ever you spell it.

Or you could be lazy and get a patch lead made gor your rif . Most are small tamya to male deans. Then you dont need to void any warrantie. How ever you spell it.

Thing is that will kind of defeat the point of having Deans batteries, since they're a low resistance connector (therefore you get faster trigger response)

• Supporters

Thing is that will kind of defeat the point of having Deans batteries, since they're a low resistance connector (therefore you get faster trigger response)

Has anyone actually quantified this though? Or is it just a psychological difference. I know the Deans connector has more copper in it and in theory has a better contact area so in theory it should be better but if all you're doing is changing the connector I very much doubt you'd get a huge difference unless the original Tamiya connector was badly fitted. Granted it's one of a number of things that all help contribute to better trigger response but there's far worse parts of the powertrain that would be a better point for upgrade (motor connectors for example).

I'm not sure because I'm new to aegs but was advised by several people deans connectors are the way to go , suppose I could have waited but whilst it was at shop just thought for a couple of quid extra it was worth doing , not sure if I did the right thing now & to think I was gonna have a mosfet fitted Aswell lol ,cheers jack

• Supporters

Think it is like a chain - well yeah it is of course

and would deffo say mini-tamiya are the weakest link - goodbye.....

After that then comes the matter of fitting decent 16awg wire and in my hi-speed fet G&G

I had to apply additional solder to the motor connectors at the 90 degree bend - very weak under juice.

Most batteries come with 14awg or thicker - so that end is not weak - except for connector

wire getting very warm if you keep thin 18awg under load

and motor connectors may need looking at - why some techy's solder wire to motor I guess

for what it is worth.....

* SHS HI SPEED MOTOR *

managed 27rps before fet/wire/deans on 11.1v

afterwards though she hit 31.5rps

Think that is mainly due to wiring/deans = 16% aprox

(the fet would save contacts but feel the fet doesn't really increase rof or response on its own)

So if you improved the tiny thin hollow like tamiya and didn't go nuts on the juice - say 7.4v lipo or 8.4v

perhaps by doing one of the 3 weak links dean/wire/motor connector......

You "may" see a small increase of about say 6% to 8% top is my noobish scientific guess

and this is probably worth jack but think that might sound aprox correct if you do just deans on their own

DO NOT GO NUTZ ON STOCK WIRE & NO FET

NB - please note the hi-rate of fire was a very hi speed motor and I do not run it at that speed

I generally am happy with 19rof on 7.4v lipo

don't expect your normal stock motor to break the speed barrier on its stock setup

but should see a small tiny inmprovement or about 1 round per second quicker

and slightly quicker response too

Has anyone actually quantified this though? Or is it just a psychological difference. I know the Deans connector has more copper in it and in theory has a better contact area so in theory it should be better but if all you're doing is changing the connector I very much doubt you'd get a huge difference unless the original Tamiya connector was badly fitted. Granted it's one of a number of things that all help contribute to better trigger response but there's far worse parts of the powertrain that would be a better point for upgrade (motor connectors for example).

Yes, Airsoftology tested it last year and determined a couple of RPS increase on a pretty basic KWA.

The original testing of this actually comes from RC planes which have similar high current needs. I saw some graphs last year showing the current capability was increased, the temperature of the connector decreased and the flight time improved. The combination of these two sets of tests tell us that a deans:

- Impacts the speed of the motor in an airsoft gun

- Improves efficiency so you get more shots from a gun

- Helps keep the connector cool where it would otherwise get warm or even hot.

Its basically a good idea if you are into customising the internals of a gun to go deans, its just a better connector due to the size and pressure of the contact and its tested thoroughly.

Coming from racing rc vehicles and boats, I can confirm deans make a big difference over Tamiya, much more contact area and better conductive current material

Tamiya is upto 20a current

Deans is upto 40a current

I do actually think they must make a difference because a lot of people with more knowledge about aegs use them , surely it's not just an urban myth .Im not a techy & because I'm new to aegs I can't say wether they make a difference or not , but I suspect after spending to much money on them lol. I might be able to tell the difference . I know from other forms if shooting little things can make a difference in a guns performance.My first aeg is on it's way to me now & I can't wait test it out .cheers marcus

Like I said mate, they do make a difference, better current rate to the motor which means better rate of fire and trigger response, even better if using lipo

I did hook up a watt Meyer (little box that measures all sorts of battery rates and consumption) but can't remember the exact read outs

You can either solder the motor wires (but how can swap out motors) or get gold plated connectors

• Supporters

Normally male deans is on gun & female deans is on battery

(unless a bell-end wired it up)

Red goes at the top of the T of the deans but some deans have markings on them

Be careful about adapters - mini tamiya to large tamiya can be wired wrong/differently

(think - don't quote me but perhaps in some RC uses some adapters can have wires in plastic connector swapped over)

Had to carefully unpick & swap over a few tamiya adapter leads in past

THINK in airsoft the RED lead goes in the ROUND socket

& BLACK goes in SQUARE socket.....

(basically sure is was RED is ROUND rule)

I say I think that was right or how I remembered to check but please double check and

always double check by following the lead from battery to last gun connector that it all stays the same colour

If you can solder or if you got some common sense then it don't take long to swap over etc.......

I know you may be chomping at bit to get started but a big major major thing to remember if you or anybody messes with this

NEVER be silly and cut both wires at once - short circuit - BANG kill a lipo etc....

(really sounds obvious but I very nearly did this just steaming in and I know not to do it)

You may need to remind us what you are thinking of doing btw....

AEG = mini tamiya on gun has female thin metal socket

battery has male metal pins that go inside this

However - the plastic CONNECTOR on gun is male but pins inside are female

same on battery - pins are are male but connector itself is female

The above plus some adapters can be wired differently and throw into that the

usual you may not fully understand what I am saying/meaning or seller's description might be out

(is perhaps I got a few - wtf no that ain't what I ordered, i think)

Tamiya's are a little qwirky and all that - why I ended up buying some pins/connectors to do my own leads

Deans are Deans and easy to do but need soldering rather than crimping

(well there are 3 sizes but we use the normal deans not mini (very very few guns use) & not the tiny micro deans)

Oh yeah you are well confused now but much easier to speak to component shop or at least check their terminoligy

I bloomin' hate mini tamiya's coz though connector's may be male they got female contacts inside

so I get all argumentative saying well that female is really a male then

might explain why I got so many wrong connectors in past and thought

f*ck it I'll do me own ladyboy cross dresser connector whatever you bloomin' call that sodding thingy majig

• Supporters

Bloody hate Tamiya's full stop

female connector but with male pins inside

red is round or some adapters is ain't

ffs - gimme deans anyday

Had a quick look at Large Tamiya and it seems that is where

All the confusion comes in about polarity crap...

On big Tamiya the round plug/socket is not red

The big tamiya has round black polarity I think

Jeez what bollock ache these tamiya's are ffd

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.