death threats to the guy who created ceramic poppys

n1ckh

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Can you believe the guys receiving death threats ??

Its a disgrace, I know its not just from extremists but even the British public, I've seen kids and adults taking the absolute piss on remembrance day and its taken all my strength not to kick the f*****g sh1t out of them

Its not wonder there's so much hatred in the country when "civilised" people do this

Hate mongering scum bags, try being in our service personnel's shoes or even there families when they've lost a son or daughter etc but I know it won't change anything

Yes we occupied various country's through out our history but we're also usually the 1st ones there to sort it out

My brother and sister in law have one but I was to late to get one :(

While I agree with what you say about public flogging, yes they should be hunted down but made an example of in a different way somehow

It just perpetuates the ignorance of these scum bags

• Supporters

I'm looking at ours now currently pride of place next to the fireplace. My parents got two and were the last group of volunteers to "plant" them and one of the teams that removed them for cleaning at the end of their display. They were a wonderful idea well executed. I only have two things that I would have liked to have been done differently, although logistically I can see why they didn't. First I would have liked to see all of the dead represented perhaps a different flower or design for each nationality, not just the British forces, simply to make the point that war affects all. Second it was put in place at the 100th anniversary of the start of the war, not the end, perhaps the poppies could have been placed out 100 years to the day out as and when people died. Logistically I can see why they didn't but....

To those making threats it's a sad sad day, they must lead particularly pathetic lives. There will always be some who can't be respectful for whatever reason, I for one have always felt remembrance and respect for those who never returned. I had deal with the two Notification officers for a casualty in Afghanistan, he was only 19, it was a horrible experience, but far worse for his mother who was a colleague of mine. She is always in my mind on 11/11.

I agree, its not just common wealth forces who died in all conflicts around the globe, but remembrance is for every person who has died military and civilian

I live in hope that one day all conflict will cease (and I'm not a bible bashing god botherer) but it will take many years to get there

I've also known families who have lost relatives, friends etc (some I've known aswell) but these people dont hold a grudge to what there relatives did, they take great pride in this and that's why these ignorant scum bags will never break our spirits

Many have tried and failed

Essentially this guy was singled out as a point of contact to complain about how it was announced after the event that a percentage of the money donated to the event was going to military charities.

As with anything the public complains about en-mass, there'll be some extreme worded complaints of 'and you should be shot' etc, but it's abit Daily-Mail dramatic of the media to report this as an actual threat to this mans life. Probably done as they know it'll prompt the kind of response like this topic, which makes for more sales. A person pathetic enough to word a complaint in this manner to anyone should probably suffer their recommended fate themselves, and it is an ironic shame as their kind of blind hatred is the kind of feeling that makes things like the first world war possible.

I can fully appreciate why this % of donations going to military charities would anger people enough to complain as well as why some of the money is justified to go to military charities;

Its a remembrance event to pay tribute to the million people killed, a wholesale slaughter of a generation of people due to war. A slaughter enacted by the militaries of all sides. Regardless of who is truely responsible for extreme casualties of the first world-war, people will easily view this as money donated to an event highlighting the horror and futility of war being put back into the military, the organisation that continues to perpetuate such war. What will really offend people about this is that it wasn't announced until after they donated, making them feel tricked/conned.

My opinion is that a huge % of the people killed in this war were soldiers, and the military charities a % of these donations are going to are aimed and providing care and support to men/women who are still victims of war, and them being in the army irrelevant to what should be the unjudgemental ethos of true charity.

The important thing here is if they had been clear about where the money was going, then people wouldnt have gotten offended, or had the trolling opportunity to claim they are offended, and these 'death-threats' wouldnt have happened.

EDIT - Also people should be complaining in a civilised manner to whoever made the decision to allocate a % of the donations to the military charities, and picking on this guy for it in a threatening manner is just plain idiocy.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.