Uncomfortable Youth player

AirsoftgoesAli

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ive been airsofting a couple of times now and have been renting weapons, and enjoying myself, but there are quite a few older players who still are very snobish towards why noob status and make comments when they shoot me and such and are always talking with their teammates making fun of the youth players, making pretty harsh statements about higher voices and other things of that nature.

I know there are a lot of chubby kids who come play airsoft because they think its 'CoD in real life' and swear loudly in a squeaky voice every time they get hit.But I myself am polite and listen to everything more experienced players advice me. I have quite a deep voice and I train at a gym every other day. But still I hear older players making comments about me and my age (14), its beggining to make me quite uncomfortable. What should I do?

Thank you

Im only 15 but haven't really had a problem with that. Do you go alone or with other people? I play with friends and therefore may not notice it, so you could invite some friends along or speak to other younger players. Alternatively, speak to the marshals if you still feel uncomfortable, its their job to keep every one happy and make sure that you come back.

If it is too bad, you could always try out a different site

I was called a c*nt by someone because I shot him even though he was out (He didn't have his hand up). I get tons of abuse from some. Mostly kids. I found that when you stop renting; you gain confidence. If you can't try to find another site.

• Supporters

Unfortunately AirsoftgoesAli you'll find people like that everywhere.

You have a few choices really,

1) stay away from those players intentionally. Ignore them and their stupid comments, they really aren't worth the hassle. Enjoy your day and what you are doing. Essentially Mr Monkey Nuts comment but more polite.

2) Alternatively, if the comments are about your skill level and the fact you are using a rental etc you could make an effort to reach out to someone. Perhaps have a quiet word with the marshal team, I wouldn't suggest complaining about the guys being idiots but asking for advice, how to set the hop etc is always good, it took to my 3rd game renting for someone to show me how the hop worked on the rental I was using which made a huge difference.

I would, if I was in your situation, be looking for someone outside of the group that are being rude, who seems to know what they are doing, and has a decent set up. Not the guy with all the gear and no idea, you are probably looking for the quiet one who just shows up, owns the game and disappears without too much fanfare. Approach them and ask about their kit then ask them if you could maybe pair up for a game or two. Learn from them. Don't just tag along without asking, you'll find many are happy if you want to join them but if you were to start following me around without having a chat with me first I'd be a bit put out. Look at how they move, what cover they bypass which they use. Shot choices etc. Think about your position in relation to them and ask how you can best support what they are doing.

After a few games like this you might find yourself being asked to join up with a group, it's pretty much what happened to me. I threw so many spanners in the works for a group of guys when I was on the opposite team they asked me to join them.

I'm 15 here as well. I think the thing is to practise. I know it sounds stupid, but just get a few mates over and try and play some proper rush gameplay (not CoD rush) and have fun. You will start to get the hang of knowing what to do, and above all else you will be having great fun.

I find some of the older guys who spend thousands on their kit but are still sh*t at the sport, just take it.

Just get a gun, then start tuning. Above all, shoot them a few extra times when you hit them ;) (joking of course)

seriously though, I find the most fun is where you are up at the front, shooting as many as possible.

After spending 12 years in the armed forces I learnt that if someone isn't taking the mickey out of me then I am doing something wrong. But if it wasn't to my face with a cheeky smile then it is them that is the person/people with the issue not yourself. Go have a chat with them about their guns in the safe zone, they will either happily show you their kit or not want anything to do with you, if the latter then they are just dicks so you know you can ignore their bitchy comments, if they are happy to talk about their kit and stuff you are wanting to buy once you are able then laugh with them at the jokes and join in with it, I have found the easiest way to remove power from people taking the mickey is to get in there first with a comment about how young/squeaky you are, they'll then not have anything to take the piss out of you with.
Some folk don't play airsoft to make new friends, if that is the case with those guys then just leave them to it and ignore them. Very often people forget they were once the new guy and had it not been for someone more experienced than them accepting them then they may have given up too. Stick at it bud, don't let the bastards grind you down! :-)

Yeah not all older players will look down their noses at you, my son started playing when he was 13 and felt intimidated for the first few times he went (as did I when I started skirmishing in my early 30s lol), just takes a bit to find your feet, you'll find most people will be happy to talk about their kit in the safe zone if you show an interest.

Stick with it,you'll fit in in no time. :)

• Supporters

There's a definite "them and us" divide between rental players and regulars with their own gear, but don't let it bother you. Get good and enjoy pwning people with better gear than you.

I'm always happy to play with noobs IF they're prepared to at least listen to advice.

I agree with what people said above

Chat with them, have fun and poke fun at yourself. Gives them no where to go, ask some of your mates to go along aswell

Both my boys do airsoft aswell, some of the people took the mickey out of them, when they said 'dad' to me, for some reason they stopped taking the mickey and treated them a bit more seriously and even asked them to be decoys or up front with them

• Supporters

Yeah bad there is a little them/us between rental/younger players........

Must confess I never really notice it much myself - think only the non-hit takers get bitched about

(alas this "usually falls into younger nooby rental players" - well if it don't then there is no excuses ya cheating ol' bastids)

Hate snobbery in any form - but alas we can all be a little like that and pre-judge from time to time

Funny thing is - the snob's probably fail to see the advantages from younger rentals

If your site was suddenly flooded one weekend by some proper hard core pro airsofters

that completely and utterly wiped the site's floor with those snobbish w@ankers.....

Boy - would they THEN have something to moan about.....

If "they" were that f*cking good themselves then perhaps they too should man up a little & try next level

over 18's only, dedicated players on the way way more serious and tactical sites around

Alas though very often in this world people take the pi$$ out of others to detract from people taking pi$$ out of them

(me I just take the pi$$ out of myself - get in before anyone else does - jeez its a toy gun game)

soz you had the odd bad remark - most of us are not like that and even if you & me are not so outstanding at this sport

in reality so often you have to take the noobs with good, as long as they don't throw the game so what ffs ???

I often thought when me & others Vs the more experienced players we was just cannon fodder target practice stuff

but those guys were always ok - so your lot are just a few ar$es who probably ain't really as good as they think they are

don't worry - heck I would wear a hi vis vest loadout and follow them around like glue if I was on their team just to pi$$ them off, or make a point of camping it out and wait to take that particular bastid out near the base

(don't do that - that is being silly but thoughts like this do cross my mind from time to time)

Try to stick at it, think if you keep at it they will see you are a little more dedicated, can take the odd bit of pi$$take as well as ya hits, act sensible & mature = basis or start of a good sportsman/team member...

if not then go with my silly ideas to really pi$$ them off - no still a joke - try another site

• Supporters

Be glad you're not paintballing, just saying..

Not gonna say much except only went once and that was enough

expensive, mega ego's (both players n marshals), way too serious "win at all costs" competitive

not gonna go on - might just be bad 1st experience but deffo not my cuppa tea I thought

Strange reading this - i've found the main non-hit takers since i started back in May last year were hirers - which I put down to them worrying about getting hurt and putting on thick clothes so they don't notice they're being hit.

I have no issues airsofting with teenagers, I've met teenagers that are better players than some adults.

• Supporters

I would say most non hit takers in general are hirers but they all new to this

and may not quite grasp one shot to elbow or gun is out if no secondary

(at least 4 shots in COD - this ain't cod, or elbow ain't fatal - is in airsoft)

Hirers don't bother me one bit, turn up at a site with hardly any regulars and you will be

glad of any more players to avoid cancelling the day.....

One time we had a group of complete absolute f*ckwit noobs that were just so thick

non-hit taking was the least of our worries.....

They kept lifting up the masks out on the field - not just in dead zone

(still keep masks on in dead zone)

In the game itself they were half behind cover and raising their masks that other players

had to keep stopping to shout over to them and marshals - WTF YA DOING ???

They got bollocked but still one or two kept doing this $hit, even after being made to sit out

for a round, but they kinda started to get the message by afternoon though all of us were

watching those f*ckwits very closely - thankfully they never returned

My experience is every site and day is different. I have been on sites where there is a lot of hostility towards renters and others where there really isn't, depends a lot on the site regulars around that day and how everyone slept etc. Its not something I have consistently seen as a problem anywhere but I have certainly felt unwelcome (not as a renter) on sites. It has happened and if you find that a site you attend a couple of times is always unwelcoming or has issues then hopefully you can find another one.

I stepped in one time when a local 'team' were being abusive towards some of the younger players. Unfortunately, the sport can attract the wannabe sgt majors who think their disgusting attitude makes them appear the big man.

That said, I have also told young players to stop being tools on the field. Like the one kid stood at the back of a room, shooting down a corridor and nearly hitting our team on multiple occasions. Or the kid who while we were sneaking up on the enemy started to flash his torch, and when asked to stop said "Can't make me" and held it constantly on.

However, I've also been pushed out of the way by a bloke who must have been in his late twenties as I was in his way. I just shook it off and got on with the game, no point in rising to it as they likely won't receive my 'feedback' in the way I'd like.

Not gonna say much except only went once and that was enough

expensive, mega ego's (both players n marshals), way too serious "win at all costs" competitive

not gonna go on - might just be bad 1st experience but deffo not my cuppa tea I thought

Most of the marshals at said sites were bumholes. Their ego was higher than the cost of paint.

If they mock you for looking like a noobish-kid, you can dine on the sweet taste of their tears when you kick their ass and they're the ones walking back to the spawn-point :)

That's the great thing about airsoft, can always just shoot them.

When I started airsoft, I was 11, plinking in my mates back garden, until we learned of our local site, we turned up in full gear (camos, vests, helmets the works) with our own guns (bear in mind that 13 years ago you didn't have ukara) and we we treated fantastic by the Marshall and owner, yet alot of the regulars were dicks too us due too our age. That was until my buddy jack turned up one day with his Marui mp5 complete with boxmag....that thing was a beast! He could literally lay down suppressing fire for 10 mins without running out of ammo, something the local lads hated! I stayed there for two years, gradually becoming one of said regulars, until my family moved to Sweden. Now I've recently returned to airsoft at my old haunt, and have found the same regulars are still dickheads, hell my first game back I had some nought push me out of the way of the fence I was meant on and straight into enemy fire...needless to say I wasn't pleased but I digress. We have several younger players, most who are noobs at the sport, and the majority of them listen to advice you give them, they gradually get better through the day, and thank you for the help...then you have the other sort...the ones that play CoD or BF4 or soldier of fortune (do people still play this or is it just me) and think they can "own" on the field...they are the arrogant lil shites that give the rest of the youngsters a bad name

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.