D4817 - Worth it?

LazzurusMan

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Before the cry's of "Avoid it at all costs" appear, I've been offered one for £30 posted, and was just wondering whether it would make a decent starter gun. Something I can use to get a feel for airsoft and even abuse to learn more about the internals of airsoft through upgrading.

If he still has it I could go for a M1 carbine for the same price, same make too.

Will either one be overly up-gradable? I know they chrono at 280 on average, would I be able to up that with a better spring?

• Supporters

Will either one be overly up-gradable? I know they chrono at 280 on average, would I be able to up that with a better spring?

No, don't waste money on them. You could try swapping the spring out but I don't think the motor in either one will handle a slightly stronger spring.

don't think it'll be very upgradable, will probs break if you drop it and the hire guns at your local site will be far better to skirmish and you'll not have to fix them if they break. £30 ain't a lot of money, but personally I'd save a bit and get something with a better reputation poss a G&G Combat Machine. Yes it will be 4 times the cost but it'll not let you down.

Unfortunately saving money isn't too easy atm. I only have the £30 for this for my birthday, and with all my bills etc I can't save up more than £20 a month, if I quit smoking and hardly ride my motorcycle XD

if it is all you can afford then go for it, but I don't think it is upgradable and with the plastic gearbox, even a spring change could trounce it.

Are gearboxes replaceable? (Shows just how new to airsoft I am)

I can't save up more than £20 a month, if I quit smoking and hardly ride my motorcycle XD

if ya only spending £20 a month on smokes and petrol ya def may as well quit smokin, not even enough smoke in £20 to get a decent cough! :D

That £20 is emergency fuel and fag money. Nothing worse than getting half way through the month and running out!

in proper AEGs yes. In this instance I'd not try as std AEG parts will probably not fit. Also if you are going to upgrade this then a gearbox will cost £40, then you'll want a better motor at around £40, then you'll want a better battery £20, then the casing will crack and you'll need a new body £40+....... you see where I'm going here? A better gun will not need upgrades to make it skirmishable, they will be upgrades that make it better than skirmishable, this gun would cost as much as a Combat Machine just to make it able to compete on the field. If you are a natural then you may find you could have a right giggle showing up folk with this when they have £2k Systema etc but don't look at this gun as one you can upgrade!

That £20 is emergency fuel and fag money. Nothing worse than getting half way through the month and running out!

I ran out of fags the other night... had to stoop to rolling up butts from my ashtray :unsure:

I ran out of fags the other night... had to stoop to rolling up butts from my ashtray :unsure:

Still live at home, I just pinch em from my parents!

I think I will buy this, if only to have a bit of fun, and if I eventually get a better gun I can demolish this one and tinker with it.

UKARA is just turn up three times in three months isn't it?

Are gearboxes replaceable? (Shows just how new to airsoft I am)

Problem with these cheap guns is they are virtually impossible to dismantle without destroying them, have no spares available and are generally not compatible with standard parts which fit more expensive guns, and even if you could fit a decent gearbox/motor you'd be looking at upwards of £40 just for basic ones.

So if you buy it just use as it is until it breaks, saving up for something better in the meantime. Plastic gearbox isn't the end of the world but if the GEARS are plastic then a. I'd be amazed if it gets anywhere near 290fps and b. it won't last long if it achieves a) ! :)

https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/Well-D4817-M4-fully-auto-Airsoft-gun-in-orange.html

Please forgive me for linking to BBguns4less....

They're the first place I found ti.

Might also be wroth noting I'll need to find a rear wire stock for it too...it's missing the butt plate and the battery is held in place with tape....

just read the ad for them on the JBB website, if their advert is true then you may well be able to drop in a new gearbox, didn't mention anything about being able to swap barrels/hop etc just the external furniture. Would still cost a bucket of cash to do a decent upgrade on it though.

Aaaaaahhhhhh Ok cheers for that, I'd be wary of believing too much of their description though, I mean, it has "kick" apparently lol!

But anyway. . . .

Assuming it really is standard V2 gearbox compatible a decent budget gearbox and motor would be around £60, decent barrel and hop unit another £40 or so, and you'd still have a basic gun externally. This is why the Combat Machine M4s are recommended so often.

So yeah don't buy it with the idea of upgrading the internals, use till its wrecked and replace it with something better?

Okay. One final question!

Now that I've decided to use it till it dies, can anyone suggest a nice cheap stock I can use to replace the one it has? It's rear wired and doesn't have a butt plate, so it's gonna has less life if I don't find a replacement stock or buttplate.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.