"Zeroing" techniques

SoapAirsoft

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

just noobish general stuff I do

once hop is adjusted and hopefully going straight and true-ish

I got old metal dustbin, plastic 4pt bottle & a thin aerosol can at different points down my garden

ranging from I think 70ft to 100ft if I get right back to kitchen door to garden I think

(my garden is well well secluded and my neibours are aware of my ocassional plinking/testing)

Get them synced or zero'd on larger dustbin and work further back - the different sounds means I know

if I have hit the target I was aiming for or if I suck or just blame the gun usually

mostly with .20's but I should maybe start testing with perhaps .30's for some guns

Up until recently I've had to swap sights between guns so have to zero them each game day, am hoping now I have a sight for each gun I'll be able to set them up once and mostly forget about them.

lazy hop-up tactics for me, increase the amount of hop until it starts curving upwards, then decrease slightly until it seems to stop.

for zeroing a sight, i have a b&d work bench, so take that into the garden, put a towel over it and clamp the gun in place, ensuring it's totally upright and not leaning. Then setup a target and fire a load of shots at it. I'll then try and adjust the left/right on the scope so it's pointing in the middle of the cluster. If the vertical axis is massively off i'll usually try set it so its abit higher than where i've hit on the target as my garden is about half the length you'd consider using a scope to hit someone at, but most the time i don't bother.

For my air-rifle i'd repeat this process a few times to get it perfect, for airsoft, they aint accurate enough to merit too much trouble

Initially what I do is take a prone supported position indoors 10metres at a paper target and determine the horizontal setting so I get accurate centre shots. Setting the hop at short range is difficult to do so at this point I will typically just set the vertical to hit centre on the target.

Then on game day I will set the hop unit so that it produces a level flight path and dips down at the end (rather than up as some people do with over hopping it) and then readjust the vertical so its broadly right at the extent of the range against a tree or target at the site.

What it typically means is my horizontal is right to within 1mm and my vertical on game day can potentially be out by 5cm's depending on long I go about determining the vertical setting and how much wind there is that day and such. But typically I get it pretty close with the combination. I don't find shooting the hopped gun at 10m is particularly useful but at some point I am hoping to know for each gun where the centre point is for optimal hop centreing so I can set the gun appropriately indoors and completely accurately.

As I do a WW2 Australian impression, I leave the Zeroing to the enemy :D

pacific-fighters-20040810101257733.jpg

....I'll just get my coat :(

I just check that bb's are flying straightish as far as I can see them. Most of my sights aren't adjustable anyway.

Not having a garden or long enough hallway I do it at a skirmish....... Trial and error, if its too left I aim to the right for a round, adjust and repeat...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.