Noob Incoming!

Infernopz

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello guys,

I recently gained a interest in airsoft, ive been researching and watching videos, and decided its worth a try, i am based in tameside, so my closest site would be Trojan's Olympus site in stockport, i just wanted to see what the community is like, i dont want to jump into the deep end with hardcore 'ass kicking, gum Chewing' players. i was thinking of renting a gun for a while, until i have gained a grasp of the game.

hi, we are all arseholes and don't want to help anyone (joke). Just pitch up at the site, pay attention to the safety brief and how the gun operates and have fun :-)

Seems a sensible approach.

If you have observed the community through social media you will see that the community is like any other - a mixed bag.

Best to go play a game, rent gear and observe first hand. That way, you arent committing much.

Yeah i was thinking of playing a few games with rented gear, for a couple of months, until i decide that i am fully committed, i just wonder is there is a decent sized community in my area, would hate to have to travel far for games. but i will have to if that's the case. Do you guys have any tips for a new guy??

• Supporters

welcome aboard sir,

all of us are complete hard core players who study techniques and tactics whenever we are not out in the field

winning is everything and if your K-D goes negative your are fined heavily and continuos whimpy losers are booted out

NNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH can't keep this bollox up no more......

Airsoft is just a load of us refusing to grow up and enjoy messing about with toy guns really

Some like any sprt are a little more serious at it than others but there is a massive mix of us

All ages - youngsters still at school, right up to old farts who are 6 months away from retirement homes (moi)

Some have all the kit(s) - different style loadouts as they say, higher end Automatic Electric Guns

Others have lower end stuff but still do more than ok

Some on here are rather good and compete, me I just have a laugh, get out and realise how unfit I am

Apart from myself I have never really met a miserable sod, nigh on all have been really friendly

There are mainly 2 things that airsoft really requires - well 2 main ones I can think of

Safety - yup a toy gun in effect but can still lose an eye so eye protection plus don't be a dick and take gun outside

the area - keep eye protection on at all times, remove mag + clear gun returning to "safe zone" listen to marshals

respect other players - basic common sense you could say....

Play fair - take your hits, if you even think you have been shot call it, hand up and go to dead zone/respawn

without this the game just falls apart and if we don't at the very least try to play fairly then we may as well go home

or just do target shooting instead - you may not see the guy who shot you most of the time but call it

(one shot = loss of life, it ain't COD a shot in elbow or head shot all the same your hit)

the other things is to not take too too seriously it is just a game and perhaps a budget that you will deffo won't stick to

if you get grabbed you will be like a kid in sweet shop always wanting more guns n stuff to play with

Really is a right mixed bag of people on here, some ex-services enjoying it and "keeping their hand in" so to speak

but many are just ordinary people young & old, but all with a friendly attitude and passionate about this sport/hobby of ours

Only thing you may ask yourself like most of us here - wtf didn't I get into this sooner ???

• Supporters

you are gonna get out there mixing with people, work as a team usually

you will get so much fitter than just sitting there on a console

there are many outdoor/woodland sites, some indoor/cqb sites,

a mixture of both on large sites plus some underground/tunnel skirmish sites too

There really is a massive choice in guns loadout/equipment and different site styles too

and the mix of various players from all waks and ages for you to meet, chat & then shoot each other

(in a nice friendly fair play way of course)

mostly shooting people with bb's or a melee kill with rubber knife or dildo if you wish to humiliate them

oh yeah this is some fun crazy $hit going on

There's a bunch of guides stickied in this section that have very good advice for people getting into the game.

You've definately got the right idea in taking it slow, using hire-gear for a few months. So many people (myself included) rushed into buying their first guns on an impulse and regretted not waiting until had enough knowledge/experience to know what you really want/need.

There's 2 main genres of airsoft site; woodland and CQB (close quater battle) and both are a very different style of play. Then there's normal skirmish events and milsim (military sim). Normal skirmish games are usually 30-45minute games with 10-15minute breaks inbetween. Milsim is more continuous, often done over whole weekends and very much more like soldering and less like playing a 1st person shootemup in real life.

It's definately worth traveling abit and trying lots of different sites, in the UK there's lots and lots of woodland sites that usually get about 50 people every weekend, and a couple dozen large sites that get double that. Most people will stick to their local little woodland site, and occasionally travel round the country to visit all the big sites.

• Supporters

You got the right attitude and idea

get along to a local site, listen to the briefing instructions and get out there and have fun

don't worry about dildo - ya have main weapon only when you rent + some bb's & overalls & eye pro etc...

A pistol & perhaps something like a rubber knife some people buy in their own kit/loadout

but almost anything can be improvised as a sort of melee weapon for a sneaky knife kill

(does not mean you bring the whole Ann Summers collection along though just some have done the dildo humiliation thing)

rental for first game is very wise and see how ya go, check dates in your area and get out there

(don't worry if ya get shot to bits - I still get owned by most players)

Yeah i was thinking of playing a few games with rented gear, for a couple of months, until i decide that i am fully committed, i just wonder is there is a decent sized community in my area, would hate to have to travel far for games. but i will have to if that's the case. Do you guys have any tips for a new guy??

Ah yes, I remember saying that myself. 2 months later, I'd spent about 450 quid on stuff. To date, probably 3 or 4 times that!

good plan, make it through boot-camp before you do your first misim tour of duty :)

yeah a significant % of people are in a 'squad' of somekind, most the forums are abit outdated in terms of their listings of what squads are out there, best way is to see who turns up to the sites you go to, they'll be easy to spot as prob all dressed the same, or at the very least with have their squad insignia patches on.

then like any clan/club it's about picking one with people you get on with and who dont have any dildo related initiation ceremonies ;)

once you have decided if it is for you and you have a regular site you play at you'll make friends and start playing on their "team" more often. If you get further into it and want to improve tactics and strategies etc then having a "team" all on comms makes life easier. I don't play in a team, just with my mates which keeps it informal.... spent 12yrs in the armed forces being barked orders at so can't be doing with taking it too seriously in a game. I'm lucky because pretty much all my friends from BA (before airsoft) play and you could say we are a team as we do venture to other sites and know how each reacts but we don't wear a team patch. Keeping it informal means I am happy to go loan wolf and go be sneaky or banzai at a whim without worrying about a game plan.

I'd go see how you get on for a few months before worrying about joining a team, also with not much experience behind you an established team may be wanting you to build on your experience before allowing you to join theirs! :-)

i've heard the CQB site can be a good laugh. is has 7-8 levels and only criticism i've heard was there's not too many different game scenarios they can sucesfully spread over all these floors

i should really ask all these questions in one post :rolleyes:, but i wear glasses to see, and i'm almost blind with out them, but i want to wear full face protection, (i want to keep my teeth) what face gear would you recommend with the consideration of my glasses?

good question, i'm hoping contact lenses will fix this but i'm keen to find out too

• Supporters

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Army-Skull-Skeleton-Airsoft-Paintball-BB-Game-Full-Face-Protect-Mask-UK-/351118468406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item51c04aa536

They are a bit ugly, and even though they are mesh type you can still sweat & mist up a little if ya overheating a bit

(I sweat like a pig but unfit smoker so serves me right)

but can wear glasses underneath, - if you "slightly bend" them a tiny tiny bit to fit the contour of ya mush

full face and cheap & cheerful - not perfect but does me most of time

finding a mask / goggles for everybody is a little bit tricky, first type was like a motor-x style one

with a peak on it - yeah looked ok....

then try and aim down sights with that f*cker beak malarky

Goggles are much better for ADS with but unless I find better mask or goggles with a little more depth

to accomidate my glasses that I need for driving/skirmishing I am stuck using the fugly full face mask

That is thing max protection for ya mince pies without having to stick ya head back 6 inches to ADS

if anybody else got goggles/mask for us 4 eyes I'd be interested to know a better less fugly option

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.