Coding a game in C++

JamesAirsofterAgent

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Basically I'm trying to code a game. After finding python to restrictive I needed another language and thanks to Josh95 I plan on using C++ to code a small platform game. I wondered if anyone has any experience in this? Also, looking for an idea on what to base it on lol.

(Liking code isn't the only reason I'm doing this lol: A friend said that only him and a few others were capable of coding a game with in a few months as well as him saying that you needed to be a Nerd to be able to do it -yeahhhh I really didn't get that part lol - so he put a little team together. Disagreeing with him I made a bet that anyone could make a game if they wanted to. And so here I am lol)

Thanks, sorry for big post.

I'm a software developer by trade (for the moment at least, until I change careers), and while not in C++, i have heard a lot of hobby game developers are shying away from it. I'd reccomend looking at something like Unity3D, which is an engine and development kit designed for games development and caters to the hobbyist community very well. You also have an active community of like minded people there to draw on if you get stuck.

You need to understand the fundamentals of the language before you start trying to apply it, otherwise you won't get very far. I suggest you look into learning some basic C++ before you go as far as trying to make a game in it.

I'm a software developer by trade (for the moment at least, until I change careers), and while not in C++, i have heard a lot of hobby game developers are shying away from it. I'd reccomend looking at something like Unity3D, which is an engine and development kit designed for games development and caters to the hobbyist community very well. You also have an active community of like minded people there to draw on if you get stuck.

That doesn't exactly solve anything, as it still requires you to have an in depth knowledge of C#/JS to be able to make anything.

That doesn't exactly solve anything, as it still requires you to have an in depth knowledge of C#/JS to be able to make anything.

Well it does, Unity has a much more central location for its documentation and tutorials, as well as themselves publishing the tutorials. You stand at much better stead getting started with them as everything you need to know is easily presented to you to learn.

Of course, they'd have to learn something, but then I think that's a given!

Well it does, Unity has a much more central location for its documentation and tutorials, as well as themselves publishing the tutorials. You stand at much better stead getting started with them as everything you need to know is easily presented to you to learn.

Of course, they'd have to learn something, but then I think that's a given!

Nope, documentation is limited at best. And the stuff they do have is also quite a lot of the time in solutions which are badly optimised.

Nope, documentation is limited at best. And the stuff they do have is also quite a lot of the time in solutions which are badly optimised.

How long ago did you last have a go with Unity? I know the first time round it was limited at best. Now it's actually quite expansive and their forums very active and helpful.

How long ago did you last have a go with Unity? I know the first time round it was limited at best. Now it's actually quite expansive and their forums very active and helpful.

Less than a month ago, client stipulated its use (a design agency who have no clue how to write a brief of whats actually needed, let alone understand a line of the code), despite me giving many, many better options for their app.

Less than a month ago, client stipulated its use (a design agency who have no clue how to write a brief of whats actually needed, let alone understand a line of the code), despite me giving many, many better options for their app.

Fair enough, I had no issues with the documentation provided, but I also had access to other devs who used it a lot.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.