ICS sportline M4 not up to scratch

MZKaleem

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, been a while since I've really used these forums (or any forums to be fair) so I'm a bit out of the loop and was never really any good at tech stuff in the first place.

My ICS M4 sportline is a CQB Model with crane stock and I am experiencing the following issues:

-Sparking on Trigger Contacts

-Terrible sounding (needs shimming and greasing)

-Its not very accurate, I think its possibly an air seal issue however as i said, I don't really know what im talking about, I just read elsewhere that this was something ICS sportlines had problems with, It might not be true, I don't really know.

I replaced my trigger switch with this,

But it still sparks, I've tried using 8.4v 1600mAh, 9.6v 2000mAh (both NiMhs) and a 7.4v 1200mAh LiPo.

I tried shimming and cleaned the gearbox, but ran out of time and quickly put the gun back together, which i can accept is my fault, but can i ask if anyone knows of any great shimming guides?

I've replaced the rubber and nub with something my friend said was good (came in a pack of two and is red in colour, he gave it to me for free, I don't know who made it but he said it was a decent rubber).

Also when I fire on semi, the trigger sometimes get stuck and I have to let off a burst in full auto to "un-stuck" the trigger.

Apart from this the gun is stock and I want to know what upgrades people would suggest are essential and also what would be suggested to fix this sparking problem? I believe i need a MOSFET, and I have one of these, (got it for £10 with a rifle I ordered from them) but my friend said it wouldn't do anything in plug and play mode, but that's all he could offer me in advice. I'm not very good at the tech knowledge but with clear instructions I can do the fitting and fixing myself or with the help of another, usually my father or friend.

thanks for reading anyway guys

-Kaleem

Unless I'm mistaken it's always going to arc a bit unless you've got a mosfet installed, a plug and play one will give you some extra functions like burst etc, but will not protect your contacts.

For it to really do anything you're going to have to solder it on to the switch mechanism, lots of diagrams out there which will tell you what to do. Pretty easy with some basic soldering.

Madbull 60 hop rubber is red and comes as a pack of two, guess it's probably that. Not used them personally so cant comment on how good they are.

it is also a common issue to have to switch to full auto to unlock a gearbox.... higher voltage or an active break mosfet will sort it properly

Okay thanks guys, I'll solder this one in next week and hopefully it can be the gun i want it to be.

• Supporters

from your bullet points :-

-Sparking on Trigger Contacts - its always gunna do that, unless you fit a mosfet

-Terrible sounding (needs shimming and greasing) - try adjusting the motor, this can have a dramatic effect on sound

-Its not very accurate - try a TM or G&G hop rubber, also clean your barrel

as for the semi stuck thing, almost all aeg's do it, its usually caused by you lifting your trigger before your gun has finished cycling (your too fast). only real way to solve it is either a faster discharge battery, faster motor, or faster gears ... basically making your gun faster ... you get the picture ;)

as for the kong ... its not really a mosfet ... its more of a leach on your battery (in my view)

from your bullet points :-

-Sparking on Trigger Contacts - its always gunna do that, unless you fit a mosfet

-Terrible sounding (needs shimming and greasing) - try adjusting the motor, this can have a dramatic effect on sound

-Its not very accurate - try a TM or G&G hop rubber, also clean your barrel

as for the semi stuck thing, almost all aeg's do it, its usually caused by you lifting your trigger before your gun has finished cycling (your too fast). only real way to solve it is either a faster discharge battery, faster motor, or faster gears ... basically making your gun faster ... you get the picture ;)

as for the kong ... its not really a mosfet ... its more of a leach on your battery (in my view)

Okay thanks very much, Any mosfet you would recommend I install? I dont need anything like burst fire functionality, I just want something to make my gun work efficiently.

• Supporters

Okay thanks very much, Any mosfet you would recommend I install? I dont need anything like burst fire functionality, I just want something to make my gun work efficiently.

Any half decent Mosfet that is hardwired to your trigger contacts (IE not plug and play) will stop the arcing. That said - you can hardwire a Kong Burst Wizzard and it'll do the job AND give you burst fire and all the other guff.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AirFET-NB-non-braked-MOSFET-airsoft-AEG-switch-/191487302968?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item2c95885d38

Cheap and simple non-ab MOSFET, but does the job. Got one in my f2000, very simple to install and will protect your contacts nicely.

Thanks, I will order it soon, looks simple enough to wire in.

Gonna test motor height idea now, see where that gets me on the noisy-gearbox front.

Gosh I really should learn all this troubleshooting stuff.

Ah, I see. What sort of motor is best? I dont really need anything ridiculous at all, I just want to quiet it down a bit and increase lifespan for the right money. I don't plan on upgrading the spring higher than 330 fps so i dont need anything too much.

A high torque motor will give faster trigger response but a slower rate of fire. If you're otherwise happy with the guns performance as it is a standard motor will do fine. Something like this (or one of the other long shaft motors, ZCI are not bad at all for a budget brand)

http://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/motors-parts/zci-motor-standard-long

Pete "ak2m4" is a forum member. He did do SHS motors too cheaper than that Amazon link but currently is out of stock.

Thanks for the link, I'll order it now and see if it works for my gun and gives it what it needs.

appreciate the help guys :)

No worries, glad to help. May be worth mentioning the thread and gun you want it for, he may be able to offer further advice, Pete is a great guy, very helpful and great service too.

The ICS Sportlines have the cheaper nastier ICS motors in, unless they've changed recently. The Prolines have the much better Turbo 3000, but still noisy!

The ZCI looks like a good bet if the reviews are good. I have an SHS in one of my ICS M4s - can't remember which motor it is, but the ROF is insane compared to the stock ICS one.

To be honest, the ZCI is only £12. Well worth a try. If it doesn't work out, stick it in your bits box as a spare part :)

Yeah thats exactly what I thought, since my other guns use the same motor too. I'll let you guys know how i do

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.