New batteries

willsterman2

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys

Just joined to get some advice.

I have a G&G CM16 raider and i am looking to get some new batteries. I currently have 2 VP 1600mAh 9.6v Ni-MH. I have been using them for around a year now and they are starting to die. I charge them at about 0.5 . The charger i use is a Sigma EQ (50w). When i am in a game and notice they are starting to run out, should i keep using them until they have completely run out or swap them when they still have a little power in them? Anyway I need to get a new batteries. Should I stay with VP or is there a better brand. Dont really want to spend more then £15 on one.

Thanks in advance

Will

• Supporters

Vapex are some of the best nimah's I think....

Normally peeps change batteries at lunchtime

so hopefully 1 battery should last one morning/afternoon session

if not then either you are very trigger happy or quite likely the batteries are going

All batteries lose their ability to hold charge

(how many old laptops last less than 15 mins off mains)

your on 9.6v which is a bit more than a 7.4v lipo - 8.4v aprox replacement

so to stay at that voltage of 9.6v to 10.5v you may have to look at 9.9 life or lifepo

Alas the range of life batteries is limited - they do nunchuck ones but you need to be careful

and triple check any battery will fit in the crane stock....

other options - replace crane stock with fixed stubby and use any battery type (almost)

buy another VP like you got - use fresh one for morning....

then use older 2 for afternoon perhaps ????

this will probably be best / cheapest / easiest option

avoid going too nutz maybe on 11.1v lipo unless you maybe do a little work / tweaking:

fit mosfet to avoid contacts arcing & check AOE whilst gearbox is open

there a few options/suggestions - is a case of where you start / stop

how far you wanna go and if it needs a little service etc.......

Oh and welcome to forum btw as its ya first post

(say hello in new members if ya want but all the best fellow airsofter)

Vapex are some of the best nimah's I think....

Normally peeps change batteries at lunchtime

so hopefully 1 battery should last one morning/afternoon session

if not then either you are very trigger happy or quite likely the batteries are going

All batteries lose their ability to hold charge

(how many old laptops last less than 15 mins off mains)

your on 9.6v which is a bit more than a 7.4v lipo - 8.4v aprox replacement

so to stay at that voltage of 9.6v to 10.5v you may have to look at 9.9 life or lifepo

Alas the range of life batteries is limited - they do nunchuck ones but you need to be careful

and triple check any battery will fit in the crane stock....

other options - replace crane stock with fixed stubby and use any battery type (almost)

buy another VP like you got - use fresh one for morning....

then use older 2 for afternoon perhaps ????

this will probably be best / cheapest / easiest option

avoid going too nutz maybe on 11.1v lipo unless you maybe do a little work / tweaking:

fit mosfet to avoid contacts arcing & check AOE whilst gearbox is open

there a few options/suggestions - is a case of where you start / stop

how far you wanna go and if it needs a little service etc.......

Thanks for your response.

I am a little trigger happy when it comes to people not taking their hits. Should i let the battery run out completely or save a bit of charge in it. When storing the batteries should I leave them charged or uncharged, Should I discharge them?

How often should you replace batteries?

Had my gun serviced.

Just think I am a little trigger happy, but cant help it when trying to clear and area of people.

Just going to order another one but should I go for a 8.4v or 9.6v? What is the difference?

What is the difference between LiPo and Ni-MH?

• Supporters

nimah's dont really matter - I think

lipo's you should NOT run right down - they will die

9.6v should be ordered or you rate of fire will suffer a bit

in use - most peeps change battery at lunchtime as it is logical to not go out with a half charged battery

then have to return to safe zone or carry another around with ya

trigger happy - depends on your take.....

some miser or very very good people can get by by with 1,000 rounds - but mainly snipers I feel

most about 2k to 3k for full day is about the normal amount

then some nutters do over a full 5k bag in a day - jeeeezzz you need to go to spec savers

(unless its you Vs a massive zombie army I guess)

Some batteries that are on their last legs will lose charge very quickly........

eg: charge a battery up when you get home - then see if she has any juice left the night before your next game

if battery is dead or very sluggish - that to me indicates at least one of them cells is bollox'd

nimah's are made up of 1.2v cells - 8 x 1.2v = 9.6v, if one starts to go then battery will be seriously affected

lipo's have 3.7v per cell eg: 7.4 or 11.1v and are the new modern day batteries with more grunt in them

but lipo's die if the cells drop below 3v so you don't run these down like ya nimah's

nearly all batteries come off charge with an extra volt in them - eg: 9.6v will be hitting 10.5v fresh off charge

Life - the newer batteries are a little better than lipo's and not so prone to extra volt off charge or prone to death

but coz they are new type the range is very limited to size/shape and output ratings ( mah )

• Supporters

Cool, thanks for your help. What A do you think I should charge them at?

240v mains - lol - the charger not the battery

I dunno, I plug that in there and that in there and I go for the lower 1.0 amp setting over the 1.5 or 2.0 setting

think its that, but I prefer to be more of a trickle charger than a booster charger

I tend to just shove it on and leave it on the lower settings - keep checking any battery - never just leave it

but then I got 2 x smart chargers for nimah & 2 x lipo/life chargers too but all used on the lower settings

(just always have charged stuff slowly - car/bike batteries etc....)

so I got a way of charging stuff up ok without need to go too nutz

• Supporters

DO NOT TRICKLE CHARGE LiPo BATTERIES.

You will fuck them up. If you have a 1300mAh LiPo battery for example you should charge it at 1.3A. Most LiPo batteries will state 1C charge rate although some can be fast charged at 5C (I have a 2600mAh one that can fast charge at 5C - just not so happy with charging it at 13A! )

• Supporters

probably should invest in a "proper" decent charger one day

Yes. Unless you like buying batteries of course. In that case - as you were :-)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.