Sniping

LazzurusMan

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Good airsoft sniper rifles aren't much better than good aegs in range. It's the tactics you use with them, that make you a sniper, not the gun.

Theoretically sniper rifles have longer range, but on the field, that's rarely used. You are more accurate, but shoot much less, so the effectiveness is about the same as aegs'.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to necro this but after a month or two of trying to make good my claim of a 100 meter sniper.... I've F*cked up! It appears that my Gspec has been experiencing Joule creep! I've been firing .43's at 2.99 Joules! to remedy this I've cut 3 coils off an M150 to bring it down, now fires at 433 with .2's but 340 with .43's! I think i'll probably be the only person at my local site with a correct gun but from the sh*t storm that I've just created on FB looks like I won't be playing there much longer! Can I ask, does anyone go to a site where they ask you to test using the weight you intend to use for the day?

• Supporters

Only combat south let me use the weight I was using in the guns (and rightly so, especially in gas guns). Every other site including my main one insists on .2s which is pretty stupid imo, I turn my guns down sufficiently to make sure regardless but it doesn't take much to print out and laminate a conversion chart.

Only combat south let me use the weight I was using in the guns (and rightly so, especially in gas guns). Every other site including my main one insists on .2s which is pretty stupid imo, I turn my guns down sufficiently to make sure regardless but it doesn't take much to print out and laminate a conversion chart.

So, would Combat South insist on chronoing me using my .43's? I spoke to Russ this morning and he said that they prefer to chrono using .2's? I'm not trying to sneak a hot gun in, it's more a case of making sure it's "One rule for everyone".

• Supporters

So, would Combat South insist on chronoing me using my .43's? I spoke to Russ this morning and he said that they prefer to chrono using .2's? I'm not trying to sneak a hot gun in, it's more a case of making sure it's "One rule for everyone".

Oh I couldn't say for sure, I told them I was using .28s and they carried on as normal. Was a while a go though so they might've changed.

So many places don't acknowledge/believe joule creep though so it's tough situation.

But if I told them I was going to chrono with .2's but i'd be using .43's would that still be acceptable? It's being dishonest to a point but I can't complete if others are getting away with it!

Yes! I realize this is a BIG BIG issue and most people are just avoiding it! I'm happy to play on either side of the answer, MED sort of solves the issue but I don't want to be the one guy that is adhereing to the rules when no-one else is

• Supporters

To be honest, I'd have no problem trying max my gun's potential to what the rules allow. If they insist on chronoing with .2s then go with it. Hit 495 on that (a little leeway to be safe) and then swap to .43s. You won't have done anything wrong by their rules and you'll benefit from it, strictly speaking it may not be in the 'spirit of the rules' but then if they ignore joule creep then that's up to them. I'd just go for it, especially if you're doing a sniper rifle build.

To be honest, I'd have no problem trying max my gun's potential to what the rules allow. If they insist on chronoing with .2s then go with it. Hit 495 on that (a little leeway to be safe) and then swap to .43s. You won't have done anything wrong by their rules and you'll benefit from it, strictly speaking it may not be in the 'spirit of the rules' but then if they ignore joule creep then that's up to them. I'd just go for it, especially if you're doing a sniper rifle build.

Thank you :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.