Sniping

LazzurusMan

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Pretty simple really, I'm just curious as to what sniping is like in airsoft, as if it doesn't sound right for me I have to decide on a new idea for my main armament.

Any input will be helpful, and any stories would also be great!

You'll see a lot of us won't recommend sniping for a beginner. There are lots of people who do and love it but generally people find it isn't what they expected. It would be better to start off with a good AEG in my opinion, because you usually have to spend a lot on snipers to get them to perform well too.

I'm getting a £400 sig 556 dmr for £135, I have no issues about the gun part of sniping, I'm just not sure about trying to find cover, waiting for targets etc etc.

As you probably know, most people will tell new players that it's not a good idea to start out with a sniper rifle, and that's for a good reason, well, several actually....

First up, it's not like real life sniping, where you are generally out of range from return fire, have a spotter helping you, who also has short range defensive capabilities, and you don't have all the other stuff a sniper can do, such as a radio which can call in artillery and air strikes etc, nor can you tab it the feck out of there if it looks like you've been compromised and have chopper evac you from your pre-arranged rendezvous. In airsoft, you're gonna be on your own, so you have to spot and shoot, your range is much shorter, and people will be far more inclined to try and assault your position, since unlike in real life, the worst that can happen to them, is a 500fps BB in the nuts. In real life, they'd be dead, because you would have set up with clear open ground killing zones out to 1200 metres in any direction a threat was likely to come from, which would pretty much make you impervious to anyone with an assault rifle, since they wouldn't be able to get anywhere near you, and would probably call for artillery support to take you out, if they spotted your location. So, not like airsoft at all, where an AEG rifle could indeed hit you, since you won't outrange people by much. If there really is a sniper about in real life, people are sh*t scared to even pop their heads up out of cover, much less run towards where they think the sniper is. Do sniping in airsoft and they will come for you.

In addition to that, in airsoft, you've got basically four things you could be doing, CQB indoors, Woodland outdoors, attacking, and defending. Out of these four, sniping is only ideally suited to one or two, namely woodland and usually defending. It's kind of tough to snipe on the attack, the role is more suited to finding a decent spot and awaiting attackers, who will probably not be able to close you down or flank you too easily if you pick a spot also covered by some team mates with regular rifles, but there's no guarantee of that of course. So, to get the best out of a sniper rifle in airsoft, it's generally not a bad idea to have skirmished at the site a lot of times so you know the typical attack routes people take, and the decent defence locations, so you can pick your concealed spot accordingly, and if you are new, then none of that knowledge is likely to be available to you.

On the other hand, an AEG assault rifle is ideal for a starter, because it can do CQB, woodland, and is suited to both attacking and defending.

Then there is the additional expense as well. Yes you can get a spring airsoft sniper rifle for 120 quid or so, but that is the basic package. You are going to need to tart it up a lot to give you as much range as possible, as much accuracy as possible, as much consistency as possible, and the ability to put stuff onto the target with as little noise and conspicuity as you can manage. So, we are talking souped up hop up, souped up barrel, souped up spring, souped up piston (which you might even drill ports into), then decent bipod, decent scope, expensive quality ammo, good camouflage (i.e. a ghillie suit or similar, which admittedly, you could make yourself for not much money). Then you'll need a decent back up weapon, smoke grenades to enable you to conceal your withdrawal or repositioning moves, frag grenades to stem an assault on your position, and ideally, some team mates and a radio so you can work in concert with them, to try and make the enemy get driven toward your killing zone.

In other words, a shitload more than simply a 120 quid G&G M4, which is all you need to get going in the regular skirmishing role.

I'm not trying to put you off the notion of sniping, it can be good fun, but if I were you, I'd make a few friends doing regular skirmishing, see whether you prefer CQB or woodland, and then if circumstances suit, buy a sniper rifle as a 'project' that you can work toward implementing somewhere down the line when all the required knowledge and extra bits and bobs are in place and you have the spare cash to be able to indulge in making the thing fancy. The last thing you wanna be doing when you start out, is taking your one and only brand new rifle to bits, awaiting parts for it, etc. That sort of thing is far more fun when it isn't urgent that you get the thing working in time for your next skirmish.

What might possibly appeal to you, is Designated Marksman Rifles (DMRs), which are more like a 'mobile assault sniper/support gunner', who stays with the squad of regular riflemen as they assault the enemy, but can pop the odd shot which has more accuracy. Aside from being a less 'lonely' role, there is more scope for variety in the kind of weaponry you can use as a DMR, and most of the true DMRs can - at a push - stick up for themselves in a stand up firefight. It's quite common for people to get things such as the longer barrelled gas blowback WE M16A3, and make that a DMR, by upping the fps to 400, locking it to semi-auto fire only, and sticking a fast acquisition optic onto the thing. Again, since DMRs take a bit of work and lack some flexibility, I wouldn't say they were a great choice to start out with, but might possibly be something you could try after a while, since you can kind of regard DMR as 'sniper light'.

In short, stick with an AEG assault rifle to start out with. You'll find it suits you better.

It'll take a few visits to a skirmish site to get a feel for where to position youself, as Chock says the range airsoft battles occur at simply isnt enough to make true sniping possible, it's barely enough to justify a scope. People are creatures of habit so it's just about getting a feel for where people usually move across and camp themselves.

I found the only advantage a sniper will give you is the first couple shots due to alittle extra range. This range is quickly moved across or compensated for by aiming higher when spraying full-auto with an AEG. If you can make those first couple shots count then it's damn good fun. So the best tactic is to position yourself so people will be coming towards you, as you stand a chance of remaining hidden for those first couple shots. Agressive sniping is tricky business as you're just as if not more likely to be spotted by the opponent first and as i said the range advantage is small, not enough.

Most snipers i encounter seem to position themselves round the perimeters as that at least reduce the direction you can be attacked from by 180degrees. Infact i've had more fun sneaking round the edges with an AEG clearing out all the snipers than being one myself.

I had the luxury of borrowing a very well and expensively setup sniper which did give me a decent bit of extra range, but i think if i'd had a stock spring one i'd have just found it frustrating and wished i had an AEG.

I found that for my tastes sniping wasn't worth it, too much sitting in a bush and not enough action. Don't get me wrong it's good fun, but just as much fun and far more frequent fun using a full-auto AEG. Makes it even more frustrating when people don't take their hits when sniping, rarely poor sportsmanship of people not seeing where it came from and ignoring it, usually because the range is so much that the bb doesn't actually hurt/register or because everyone insists on wearing so much assault vest/molle stuff they don't feel it.

I'd say give it a try, and if you don't like it you don't need a new gun, you just need to return the SIG to a 350fps full-auto state. Depending on what's been done to the SIG that could be a pain in the ass, but airsoft guns are modular enough that it's possible to get both out of a gun, just by swapping a spring, inner barrel and making the lock to semi-auto only something you can reverse by taking it apart. a new barrel, spring and possibly selector switch would cost £100 max.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like them guys have covered this haha.

I enjoy sniping though. I got a tokyo Marui vsr-10. Spent £600 on it and I am happy with how it performs. Everytime i hit someone i feel pretty bad ass too :D

• Supporters

I'll throw my thoughts down here...

I've got sort of a unique background when it comes to airsoft, as very few teens have the equipment I have, and fewer the expirence. I grew up shooting, and got into sniping after I bought a w700 rifle. Got a gillie suit from a military friend in the States, and spent a few years doing very well in manhunt games at my scout camps. So I got the stealthy waiting part down. Now in terms of guns, I am realitivly poor with my sniper, as I've only just started upgrading it. I've gotten a sight on mine, as well as a good woodland camo finish on it, but it is stock inside, as I can't figure out how to open the frikken thing... I will have to get a better spring, and ammo (blaster .3g go through the roof still) and it's probably only shooting around 300 FPS due to a poor spring. So I need a lot of work before I'd even consider trying to use it on the field. Now, in my backyard with some mates, I'm the terror of the bushes, and their orange two tone guns make it easy for me to spot them (insert evil laugh here). So yea, not good to start out with. If you still think it may be for you, go to your fav site, and during games, look for locations you would like to use a rifle in. Formulate scenarios in your head during games, and maybe one day get a gun, throw a large amount of cash at it, and see how it goes. Just not yet.

Rant over

Due to games like CoD etc its one of the most appealing parts of Airsoft and the most disappointing if you get it wrong.

You can spend a lot of time lying around and the comparitively low range of Airsoft sniper rifles means you are in the front line.

No heads exploding at a click like on the game.

Be prepared to invest time and money to get it right or just buy a spring L96 and a cheap Ghillie suit and give it a whirl.

A word of caution - many new airsofters are attracted to this role first and there is a healthy trade in unwanted weapons.

I'd recommend watching the bodgeupairsoft vids on youtube! I've been airsofting now for 6 months. I decided from the start that I wanted to try all aspects of the game, Sniper, Support & Infantryman. Last Sunday I had my first proper outing as a sniper, I loved it! What I will say is that I'm now using a 500fps rifle that can easily hit 100 meters. There's nothing more satisying seeing a BB hit it's target through a scope ;) I agree with what everyone else has said but you won't be working alone for long. You find that your teammates will be feeding you info on targets they can't hit and you'll find yourself as an asset to your side (If you help your team). I actually found it more of a team position than with an AEG. I tend to go by myself but for the first time I found other players interacting with me. Yeah, you could easily just sit right at the back, camo'ed up playing for yourself but it's more fun to be slightly more forward (Out of MED).

No offence, but it's an urban legend.

Hehe, I set my rifle up at a local gun range, 100m to A3 target. Hit every time after half an hour of zeroing. I actually ended up zeroing at 65 meters as it's more realistic for games. Btw, neither are with any over hop.

Hehe, I set my rifle up at a local gun range, 100m to A3 target. Hit every time after half an hour of zeroing. I actually ended up zeroing at 65 meters as it's more realistic for games. Btw, neither are with any over hop.

Im gonna have to agree with samurai here. Unless you can prove otherwise with a video. You would need to be putting out at least 600fps to be hitting 100m's

http://mackila.com/airsoft/atp/07-a-07.htm

Im gonna have to agree with samurai here. Unless you can prove otherwise with a video. You would need to be putting out at least 600fps to be hitting 100m's

http://mackila.com/airsoft/atp/07-a-07.htm

Ooh a challenge :) OK, Next time I go to my local range, I'll get a vid of me shooting the target at 100 meters. Maybe a week or so! Only issue is I don't have a laser range finder but this is the 75 meter range, I walk back 25 meters (You stand on a small raised grass section) to achieve the 100 meters. I'll take my 30 meter tape and take pics of everything.

It's weird as I saw that chart earlier this week, Correct me if I'm wrong but it says that at 500fps using

43's I should be hitting max 70 meters? (235 ft)? I have a Type B hop and the below pic showing the 75 meter range I use is pretty much centre board every time!

6E19D0C2-A285-4F91-8AF3-C51F7CEDD16D_zps

• Supporters

Cool. Please measure that 100 meters (not feet, not steps). Write down your fps, gun setup, BBs too. Get someone or a camera next to the target to show the hits. This way this will be a fine reference.

As far as I know, one can hit a chest sized target reliably on 70m with a good setup, so it will be interesting for me to see whether 100m is achievable.

This is from a sniper I know and you can't really get better gun than the one he is using - note: in Hungary 600fps is allowed for snipers.

Cool. Please measure that 100 meters (not feet, not steps). Write down your fps, gun setup, BBs too. Get someone or a camera next to the target to show the hits. This way this will be a fine reference.

As far as I know, one can hit a chest sized target reliably on 70m with a good setup, so it will be interesting for me to see whether 100m is achievable.

This is from a sniper I know and you can't really get better gun than the one he is using - note: in Hungary 600fps is allowed for snipers.

The pic of the range above is 75 meters measured to where I took it (There's gun stations set up). So even that's just over what the guy in the vid is hitting, Looking at what the guy is using (5 years ago), that's pretty standard for a sniper rifle now. I'm using:

ASPUK Advanced upgrade:

EZ Trigger + piston

Steel Spring Guide

M150 Spring

Nickel plated Steel Cylinder

Advanced Steel Cylinder head

Dangerwerx Type B hop lever

PTFE mods to hop bucking and Cylinder head

Nuprol .43g

I've always been miffed by peoples arguement that FPS = more distance. Explain TM then? A stock 300fps VSR shoots 35-40 + stock, still not 500 fps standard but compaired to most AEG's ??? There's been various threads about heavier weight BB's travel being further than lighter BB's etc.. Plus a quality hop will make all the difference. My Marui VSR is running the standard bucking but with a Type B Dangerwerx hop lever. It's lifting .43 Nuprols with just 4 clicks of hop. (Compaired to .4's they're light years ahead) Really not trying to brag, and I'll be perfectly honest, I sent it to ASPUK, paid them £300, they sent it back, it works as they say it should! Simple :)

Range wise, here's a link:

http://www.fordranges.co.uk

It's not what I call a glamorous place but it does the job, £5 for an hour is enough time to get set up, zeroed and have a bit of fun!

• Supporters

Fps-wise you are correct. The same guy who shot the video says that above 500 fps there is no more range gained, only the travel time is reduced.

Heavier BBs do increase the range, but only very slightly, as seen on the link Mack put here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a dick here. If you can shoot an A3 on 100m 10/9 and you have a proper video of it that'll be awesome, and I'll need to do something about my rifle. :)

Fps-wise you are correct. The same guy who shot the video says that above 500 fps there is no more range gained, only the travel time is reduced.

Heavier BBs do increase the range, but only very slightly, as seen on the link Mack put here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a dick here. If you can shoot an A3 on 100m 10/9 and you have a proper video of it that'll be awesome, and I'll need to do something about my rifle. :)

No offence taken and I don't mean to offend either :) I'm new to sniping so a couple of months ago I got talking to several local players who have spent the money on their rifles, 90-100 meters seems to be the norm! Truth be told the thing shoots further than 100 meters but it's with overhop which means the flight path is ridiculous lol. Like I said, I zeroed at 65 ish meters. Seems to be what everyone else does too, my last game was amazing! A bit of sidewind caused a bit of a problem but I'd say 1 in 3 shots was a hit! Loved every minute of it :)

• 3 weeks later...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xt_6zSXldw

Just thought I would weigh in with this video. This guy is admittedly shooting 550fps but is shooting out to around 130m.

As above stated. A .66g doing 351fps would have a 0.20g doing 637fps, not 550

Had a go with a springer sniper last week, didnt feel I hit a thing with it. Wasnt keen at all.

LOVE the idea of sniping, but felt (due to films n computer games) "If I could see them, I could hit them"... Clearly wasnt the case. Felt my M4 had the same range and power to be fair.

Maybe the rifle was not zeroed properly, or I was just being a doofus (also highly likely) but I found it easier to hide out in cover and wait until loads of enemy were close by, hit em all by surprise with controlled fire and bug back to my teams line of defence and repeat.

This being said I would love a chance with a rifle which was proven to work and be set up and zeroed properly.

Had a go with a springer sniper last week, didnt feel I hit a thing with it. Wasnt keen at all.

LOVE the idea of sniping, but felt (due to films n computer games) "If I could see them, I could hit them"... Clearly wasnt the case. Felt my M4 had the same range and power to be fair.

Maybe the rifle was not zeroed properly, or I was just being a doofus (also highly likely) but I found it easier to hide out in cover and wait until loads of enemy were close by, hit em all by surprise with controlled fire and bug back to my teams line of defence and repeat.

This being said I would love a chance with a rifle which was proven to work and be set up and zeroed properly.

stock bolt action rifles out of the box are not much better than AEGs to be honest, they need to be upgraded to make the most out of the FPS advantage

stock bolt action rifles out of the box are not much better than AEGs to be honest, they need to be upgraded to make the most out of the FPS advantage

It certainly didnt fell any better....

not put off tho ;)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.