WE G17 Leaky mags issue :(

cropzy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys.

I went to get my kit ready yesterday for a skirmish and as usual I checked everything to see if it was operating smoothly.

Both my glock mags leak.

I have the normal one which comes with the RIF which seems to be leaking from the top where the gas expends to fire the ball bearing. When I gas it, it leaks a lot and it is audible. When you fire it all the gas just expends at once and just fires out of the barrel.

I also have an extended mag which seems to be leaking at the valve at the bottom of the mag, this is audible too. However this mag still works.

I have done a bit of research and regarding the valve it seems it can be an easy fix but I haven't had time to strip the mags and do some proper research yet.

Is this common? Are my mags well and truly gone? Can they be fixed?

This is the 1st time my WE G17 has failed me as I have found it to be a reliable sidearm, sometimes I even main it at cqb sites.

Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks.

for the one leaking from the base plate, slide off the plastic cover then tighten the screw on the base, re-fill with gas to see if it has stopped leaking.

There are three steps to fixing the leaking valves for top and bottom.

1) Get some silicon in there by putting some onto the valve before you fill with some green gas, just get some lubrication in there and it may just solve itself.

2) Tighten the valves. They should take a flat headed screwdriver access part and you can tighten them up like a screw, you can push pretty hard on these things since they are basically metal bolts.

3) Remove the pressure by firing or letting it sit for a bit with its leak and ensure its empty. Then open up the magazine from the bottom and take the valves and seals out. Check for any damage to the seals, lubricate them directly and refit.

4) If this still hasn't worked then buy some replacement valves and seals for the gun and again take the mags apart and replace the bits that aren't working.

Its relatively easy I have done all of these with my We 229 mags and did so without any prior knowledge. Take a look at youtube for magazine disassembly, its really quite simple as they are just a metal box with valves and seals.

One of my mags was leaking, but a blast of maintenance gas and a day in my gun case later its holding fine

Maintenance gas seems good at lubricating the seals without much faff

another half decent trick is to fill the mag with a little bit of gas and pop it into a bowl of warm water (hot bath warm, not out of the kettle) for 10 mins or so.

Sneaky use of thremodynamics... I like it

• 2 weeks later...

www.abbeysupply.com/product48.html - Abbey Maintenance Gas 144a, great reviews from Patrol Base and Milspec Solutions

Bought some.

Fixed my extended mag no problem and works like a charm!

My main mag still leaks from the top though.

Going to take it apart soon and look at the seals when I have time.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.