UKARA Query

adazrambo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey all,

Bought a G&G rifle months ago 2nd hand before I realised I need UKARA to actually own one. I have now completed 3 months and 2 games so do qualify and am in the process of sending off my application. But in terms of actually holding the licence - I don't.

Is this going to be a BIG problem if I turn up on site with my own rifle without holding the licence? Probably need to get the gun chrono'd too before I turn up so I have peace of mind the gun isn't running too hot for the site.

Ukara IS NOT a licence, its a defence for retailers to show that your not buying a RIF to be a k**b in public with it

You can turn up at game days and people will just assume you have ukara, I wouldn't worry mate

Your game site has proof (the days you've attended on file) and everything's going through

Turn up, crack on & have fun

• Supporters

Hey all,

Bought a G&G rifle months ago 2nd hand before I realised I need UKARA to actually own one. I have now completed 3 months and 2 games so do qualify and am in the process of sending off my application. But in terms of actually holding the licence - I don't.

Is this going to be a BIG problem if I turn up on site with my own rifle without holding the licence? Probably need to get the gun chrono'd too before I turn up so I have peace of mind the gun isn't running too hot for the site.

As above, it's not a licence. UKARA stands for United Kingdom Airsoft Retailers Association and is merely a registration system that allows retailers to check that you have a valid defence against the Violent Crime Reduction Act (VCRA).

As long as you are over 18 it is perfectly legal to OWN a RIF. Period.

If you were sold one without requiring proof of defence (UKARA registration or site membership for example) that's the illegal bit. The VCRA makes it illegal to sell, import or manufacture a RIF. The second hand market is somewhat more lax in application of the rules but there you go.

In terms of rocking up to site with a RIF and no UKARA - it's not an issue. At all. Just don't wave it about in public and you'll be fine.

No doubt this thread will now descend into pages of back and forth detailing the whys and wherefores but feel free to ignore all that, it's going to happen regardless and will cease to be relevant to your question within 5 posts.

• Supporters

Excellent - thanks for clearing that up guys.

Would I be in any danger to go to my local Airsoft shop to get it Chrono'd - or would that attract unwanted attention?

The only unwanted attention you could attract is if you carry it in public without a suitable bag. I'd say put it in the box (if it came in one) and bag it up (bin liner or what have you) so it's not obvious and while you're in the shop buy a gun bag (all assuming you don't already have one).

Otherwise you're fine. Not illegal to own the gun.

• Supporters

Most G&G's are 330-ish so your gun is quite likely to pass the chrono I would think

(most likely fine for most places unless it has been tweaked)

UKARA - being on a database of 18+ big kids still playing with toys or Realistic Immitation Firearms

(database that is used for RIF sales)

a u18 can have a RIF if it is "gifted" - more stuff to row about

You already have a "defense" as you have been playing - even if your UKARA entry is not completed just yet

(But being on UKARA does make everything a lot easier & smoother)

As been mentioned - use ya G&G ffs, but don't be a dick, get a case/bag etc... for it

and a sprinkle of common sense when transporting it & general safety using it

(don't get on public transport with it on show - just avoid raising concerns and use a bit of sense)

As for turning up with a IF or RIF - I've lent my son's m8's both RIF & IF's signed disclaimer and they are good to go

act responsibly and you will be fine

As stated above, theres no law against owning an RIF, so as long as you use it sensibly and keep it in a suitable bag or case in public, you wont get in trouble.

Just take it to the shop and chrono it, better safe than sorry.

After getting my first gun I avoided buying a chrono for as long as I could. I took my gun to a shop that had a suitable place to test it and they clocked my G&G M4 carbine in at 335 - 340. I checked with the site (who have a limit of 328) and they told me I needed to get it downgraded. The gun was specified to be 328 fps so it was a little disappointing to have it too hot out of the box. I then had a decision to make, pay the shipping and send it back to reseller to do the work and pay for a spring and pay a local shop to do the work or learn how to do it myself and pay just for the spring.

So in the end I decided I should probably learn a bit about the guns so I watched some tutorials, bought a spring and decided I could do the work myself. Then I had the same problem, what does it chrono at now? So I bought a chronograph. It clocked 315 with the downgrade. Since then I have used it quite a bit when diagnosing problems or upgrading internals to confirm what I expected happened and ultimately now I know how the guns work, how they go together and all the parts and what is working well and what isn't. I often see someone with a problem on site and I can give them an idea on what to try to see if that is the issue. I am far from being the uber tech of course but I know enough to maintain my own guns.

You have a choice to make really with your first gun. Do you do the tech or do you pay someone else to do it. Both are valid options and I meet people on sites that do both but you do have to choose. If you choose to tech yourself you need a chronograph, its going to be a go to tool for testing if the gun you put together is sealing as it should and that you haven't just bumped the FPS by 30 with your replacement part. Otherwise find a local shop to test and confirm or if nothing else just take it to the site and they might limit you to semi auto if you are a little hot to begin with. Its not uncommon for them to be a bit overpowered initially for some sites but the spring/seals etc take about 1000 rounds to settle.

First and Only, which is a site you list as playing at, will let you use an AEG up to 350 fps, although at CQB sites they'll be happier if it isn't right up there at 350. If your G&G is entirely 'stock', the chances are it will be doing about 330; it may well be doing a bit less than that since it's been used a bit. If you've never used a particular gun at a particular site, it is standard for them to chrono it, so you hardly need to go out of your way to get it done prior to going to a skirmish, unless you happen to know the person you bought it off put some fancy stronger spring in the thing. But, if you really do want to go and get it chrono'd for your peace of mind, then be sure to do so with .20g BBs, since that is what they generally want in your gun at a skirmish site when they chrono it.

As others have noted, there's nothing stopping you owning a RIF, and you'll never be asked for a UKARA registration number at a skirmish site, just being there to play is proof enough that you are using the thing for skirmish airsofting. In fact, if you were there fairly regularly and they had a shop, they'd sell you a RIF without even asking for a UKARA, since they'd already know it was a legit sale to an airsofter, so no worries.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.