Evelyn: The Owen gun build (picture heavy)

Russe11

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Back in October I posted asking for someone willing to make me an Owen gun on both this forum and on ww2airsoft.org.uk.

330px-CompletedOwenGun1942.png

I eventually got 2 replies but the 1st reply was from Dadio on ww2airsoft.org.uk and having seen some of his earlier creations I knew he would do a decent job. The plan was to use the ASG Sten as the basis for the gun and by the beginning of November, one had been ordered and work started.

DSCF2819_zpsc6e45ba9.jpg

DSCF2824_zpsb85313b6.jpg

It was found that the Sten hop up could be modified to take a vertical mag and still use the large housing that the Sten hopup sits in. This is the key feature of the Sten design that causes much annoyance to the WW2 german airsofters as it makes the hop up very consistent.

DSCF2834_zpsa94a7345.jpgThe next stage was to make the cutouts in the main tubing to fit the gearbox. The gearbox of the Sten is a modified version 7 gearbox (as you would find in an M14 but full auto only).

DSCF2845_zps4f1134e3.jpgNext the barrel was threaded for a new compensator. The 1st compensator was too short.

DSCF2848_zps879fe9c8.jpg

The second attempt was better.

DSCF2887_zps0a7b2e59.jpgI was given the choice of whether to have the cooling fins. Later versions didn't have them and I knew they would be fiddly to do so I said I was not fussed which version was made. It would seem Dadio wanted to make cooling fins :)

DSCF2889_zpsee468971.jpgDSCF2892_zps611913a6.jpgThe fins were a gradual process of getting the diameter of the fins and the spacing right.

DSCF2896_zps91904e6e.jpgDSCF2893_zps64514cea.jpgWhat I was not expecting was a functioning barrel release catch. Dadio claims it was just the simplest way to join the gun together, I think he was just having waay too much fun building this :D

DSCF2907_zps9e7f3c2d.jpgDSCF2909_zps1a296573.jpgDSCF2910_zps5844237d.jpgThe magwell came next. My original idea had been to take the magwell from the Sten and re-use it. This would save building a new mag release catch. dadio preferred to make a new one with the mag around the other way so that it could tilt forward slightly as it does on the real gun.

DSCF2912_zpse299a5d4.jpgDSCF2913_zpsd46eaf28.jpg

A whole new mag release catch was fashioned, utilising a groove found on MP40/Sten mags that up until now had no purpose. This catch now matched the appearance of the mag release on the real gun.

DSCF2914_zpsf1e880f2.jpgKinda starting to take shape.

DSCF2929_zpsab17ffe7.jpgDSCF2935_zpsf46949e6.jpgThe lower receiver started with a front bracket, which then allows the attachment of the rest of the lower receiver, whilst also helping lock the gearbox in place.

DSCF2937_zps96ceb447.jpgThe rest of the lower receiver was then added but made from a much thinner steel in order to fit over the gearbox.

DSCF2940_zps416b070d.jpg

DSCF2943_zps4f6d7e9e.jpgA new trigger was constructed...

DSCF2945_zps2d3caccf.jpg...and then shaped. Phew, imagine using that boxy trigger!

DSCF2949_zps1ba9bc0c.jpgTrigger guard. Its a bit of a large trigger guard on this gun, but if you think about it, the ejection port is just in front of it and you don't want to risk the casings hitting your trigger finger.

DSCF2950_zps170455f1.jpgWith the pistol grip, its now really taking shape.

DSCF2961_zps5d9dbebc.jpg

The front sight was then added.

DSCF2959_zps6c4edd37.jpgLower receiver was reinforced to it could withstand the stock being mounted.

DSCF2965_zps2df78d21.jpgCocking handle slot and rear sight.

DSCF2963_zpsaeecf567.jpgBits are incidentally getting blued as they are finished.

DSCF2967_zps8b3dff86.jpgThe end cap, which is secured by a screw inside the lower receiver to access the battery. Apparently there is going to be a tool for opening it clipped to the part of the stock that is inside the lower receiver.

DSCF2973_zps59eae23c.jpgIt was at this point that a problem was discovered. The removable front end, could only be removed after removing the grub screw that adjusted the hop. This would be a nightmare.

DSCF2971_zps0e3d8386.jpgThe hop was modified by adding a nylon bridge for the grub screw to screw into instead of the receiver. This in theory should also make it less likely to work loose.

DSCF3003_zps60cff8e2.jpgCocking handle assembly. It bolts to the gearbox housing and uses 3 biro springs.

DSCF3002_zps7510daec.jpgDSCF3006_zpsahujwdzu.jpgPretty much just the stock left to build.

DSCF3007_zpstswtknms-1.jpgWith it's release catch.

DSCF3014_zpsuyljfead-1.jpgDSCF3013_zpsaha4pkwf-1.jpgSling points. The sling for this gun is a standard Lee Enfield sling. The shape of the sling mounts confused us when discussing it. Only when in place does it become clear that it's just to provide more space for your hands on the front grip.

DSCF3024_zpsbnec72xl_1.jpgGrips get a final sand down, stain, oil and beeswax.

I waited until she was finished before posting these pics. It just makes it easier to read not having it come in stages.

Many people think the Owen is an ugly gun, its certainly not the most aesthetically pleasing design. I think though that it is an example of ingenious design. It could beat any other WW2 SMG for reliability due to having a separate chamber for the cocking handle (so dirt cannot get to the bolt via the cocking handle slot), vertical mag (gravity assisted feeding) and part of the shell ejection mechanism was built into the magazine (the part that gets dirty when firing gets removed every 30 rounds). The Vertical mag also means that you can change mags whilst prone, without the magazine catching on jungle vegetation (a major flaw with the Sten's design).

Evelyn has incidentally been entered into Airsoft International's friendly fire competition for custom airsoft guns.

I am in awe.

A truly awesome looking bit of kit, bet you're dead chuffed with it - I would be! All credit to the guy who built it, he's done a brilliant job.

I don't get my hands on her until the end of Feb :(

I just don't want to risk a courier and pay the shipping costs when I will be meeting Dadio at the next WW2 game anyway.

Pretty cool project there, i can't help but think that the mags will get in the way being vertically upwards, and also the sights slanted on the other side of the gun away from your face being a pain but hey, you got something cool to show on the field.

Anyway, how much did it cost to build? Must've been very dear...

Pretty cool project there, i can't help but think that the mags will get in the way being vertically upwards, and also the sights slanted on the other side of the gun away from your face being a pain but hey, you got something cool to show on the field.

Anyway, how much did it cost to build? Must've been very dear...

I have deliberately never mentioned the price. It was probably not as much as you would guess though. Dadio doesn't do this for a living, he does it for fun. The hard part was getting him interested with an intriguing project. If someone else decides they want one, I don't want him tied to doing it for what he charged me, as it won't be as much fun a 2nd time.

That's a truly inspiring bit of custom work right there, surely a good contender for the AI custom gun competition.

You must be pleased as punch, gives your Aussie kit a really unique selling point.

There is something fun about turning up to a game with a gun that no-one has ever seen. This goes way beyond that though. The idea was actually a result of that thread ages ago asking what gun you wished you could get but can't. It just stuck in my head that an Owen gun would be awesome, then one day I worked out that an Owen gun is basically a Sten with the trigger moved forward and the magwell rotated. Once I had worked out it could be done, it was simple progression of the madness to find someone who could do it.

As you can see from the number of photo's taken during the construction (and I left half of them out), the process involved a lot of discussion about how I wanted things. This mean't I had to know how I wanted things to look. I love researching stuff, so this was a great excuse to sit and study photos and basically learn everything I could about the Owen gun.

As for the competition, I am sure it should win, sadly though I have a suspicion that it will be won by some tricked out M4 with a fancy rail system.

Superb work there, and I hope it wins the AI Mag comp. Their blurb iirc states along the lines of it should be something unique and NOT just a gun with a heap of bolt-ons thrown at it so it should be in with a chance?

Brillant that , Hope it does you proud .

Always interested when people show their skill in making things, Mainly because i am jealous and wish i could do half of what they can do !!!

Fine thread and look forward to further updates

Thanks for sharing too :D

It's for using. Between my Sten and Owen gun, I have British and Aussie impressions covered. I also have an SMLE which I need replacement mags for (hopefully they will be available in May). Now I just need a period suitable sidearm.

If we win this AI competition, there will be £500 to spend at Firesupport between the 2 of us so I may get a revolver:

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/marui-m19-4inch-revolver

Then I am definitely finished on buying guns... for a bit.

• 5 years later...

Hey! I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I was actually going to do the exact same thing in a few weeks with a P90 hop up unit. Do you have any tips on how to do this? I was just thinking making a few external modifications (rotating magwell, top fed hop up unit, mag release for show, extending the back, maybe replacing the outer barrel, along with the left side iron sights) would be enough but that feels... inadequate.... compared to  this project of completely remaking the gun. 

8 hours ago, Detka said:

Hey! I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I was actually going to do the exact same thing in a few weeks with a P90 hop up unit. Do you have any tips on how to do this? I was just thinking making a few external modifications (rotating magwell, top fed hop up unit, mag release for show, extending the back, maybe replacing the outer barrel, along with the left side iron sights) would be enough but that feels... inadequate.... compared to  this project of completely remaking the gun. 

The op hasn't been on the site in 3 years you may be out of luck

• Supporters

Might be worth a pm, if he's still registered he might get an email notification ?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.