Mosfets

clumpyedge

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Is your mk46 the g&p one with a standard v2 gearbox?

• Supporters

for a support gun I'd go for something a bit more agricultural than an ASCU, are you going to use/need half of the features? Gate Nano mosfets are pretty amazing and very compact.

This.

I use a burst wizzard in my m249 so I can get a pseudo semi mode from it.

• Supporters

Everybody has their own preference and is up to owner what they use.....

Me personally don't need extra bits really but I know it is nice to have burst options

I do not like the "all in one" inside the box - yes it makes it neat & tidy and I'm sure ASCU's walk on water

but think I would prefer the fet/burst externally so I can change/replace easily if required

(easy/cheap replacement or experiment/upgrade with whatever I could hold of)

That is just my very noobish view on things - don't flame me, like I said it is up to owner what they do/fit in there

• Supporters

Probably not. How do the gate nano's fare up?

I have both a nano (in my m4) and a Pico (in my ak). I'd recommend one any day. They're rated up to 14.8v now and work with microswitch triggers too.

The "plug & play" mosfets do add a number of options to the firing process, but do not remove the heavy current that runs through the trigger switch contacts and can cause burning of those contacts after heavy use. Only a fully hard wired mosfet can do that, as it removes the heavy current completely from the trigger contacts and sends it direct to the motor through the mosfet. I've used both in M16s, L85s and an AK and currently have an ASCU V2 fitted to an M16. The trigger response with the ASCU is very quick, probably as good as a PTW, and I use the 3 round burst option on auto to save ammo, as I only ever run midcap mags these days.

If you can afford the ASCU then it really is the best option, otherwise one of the other hard wired mosfets is still a good bet. As for the plug & play type, I've still got one, but it's stuck in my spares box and unlikely to get used again.

my own experience of the ASCU v1 and v2 were excellent, if I could I would go back in time and buy a job lot of them, but the v3 (no experience of the v3+) was not a very good design and I would not have another one, the trigger cycle was very poor, it detected faults every hundred or so rounds (disconnecting and reconnecting the battery solved this) and I was not entirely sure how well it would've lasted with continuous 11.1v abuse.

• Supporters

interesting, are they the plug and play type?

The they can both be plug and play up to a point. The Nano is easiest because it comes with Deans connectors so if your gun already has them then you can bang it in and off you go, the Pico (new version at least) comes with little spade connectors similar to motor terminals which need fitting. Either way you're better off going fully wired with the two wire trigger connector. They both come with everything you'll need in terms of connectors though. If you're reasonably handy with a soldering iron they're a piece of piss to fit.

Plug and play really does have limited benefits. You won't be protecting your trigger contacts and you won't see a benefit in terms of of trigger response either. If you use a plug and play burst type then you will get the burst functions though (that's how the one in my M249 is currently).

• Supporters

Blimey - been looking at Gate Merf 3.2 burst/rof/voltage programming & options

got well lost trying to follow all the bells n whistle options - jeez

tempted to get that mofo from bullseye country sport about £45 del if use a 10% discount code

(or buy something else and get 10% on mulitple items)

clever stuff if ya like all them options, if ya have a little room for that bad a$$ module & easy to change

but for now will stick with basic fet but will ensure I prepare the wire/connectors ready for easy fitting

to these Gate's if ever I wanna go to next level

(provided I can get my head around advanced programming options of the mofo)

• Supporters

Blimey - been looking at Gate Merf 3.2 burst/rof/voltage programming & options

got well lost trying to follow all the bells n whistle options - jeez

tempted to get that mofo from bullseye country sport about £45 del if use a 10% discount code

(or buy something else and get 10% on mulitple items)

clever stuff if ya like all them options, if ya have a little room for that bad a$$ module & easy to change

but for now will stick with basic fet but will ensure I prepare the wire/connectors ready for easy fitting

to these Gate's if ever I wanna go to next level

(provided I can get my head around advanced programming options of the mofo)

If you don't need burst fire, don't bother with the merf. If you think you might want it in the future, get a nano and hardwire it as the connections are the same. That way it's a straight swap when you want to upgrade.

• Supporters

yup deffo gonna ensure any fet I put in is "Gate" ready

but tbh - once the trigger contacts are done then that is it really

I mean send up a dedicated supply/return or 2 thin leads to trigger & back to fet

and motor leads with own dedicated 16 awg

rather than longer positive lead to switch & motor at trigger contact like the quick existing wire option

yeah that is a bit confusing like most crap I type but I kind of understand it

(jeez my posts are more confusing than Merf programming - and that is saying something)

will now go for dedicated 2-wire trigger fet is basically what I was meaning

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.