Looking to get a starter gun...

spirefan1

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

Just starting airsoft as a hobby after trying both and deciding i prefer airsoft over paintball (I dont know why)

Anyway i decided to get myself a gun etc and i am torn between two guns, ill post both links, i am leaning between the G36 Myself but i am not sure.

G36- https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/Blackviper-G36-AEG-Full-auto-Airsoft-BB-Gun-.html

M4- https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/Blackviper-B3814-M4-fully-auto-Airsoft-gun-in-clear.html

Also, should i buy additional battery packs with these guns? Im not sure what battery packs they come with however im not sure how long they last overall.

Other recommendations are welcome too if im making a massive mistake and being conned :D

Cheers.

to be honest mate i am new to all this as well, and i was given a black viper g36 and its pretty crap

i am only going to use the battery pack out of it, its very cheap and nasty for a reason, i am sure some other guys that know there stuff can point you in the direction of some much better kit for not much more

Don't buy any of them.

Get a G&G M4. As for battery I have a 9.4 1600mah and it lasted me a day of cqb easily but that was only on semi auto. But it's good to have a spare. If you want a g36 you can get a JG g36c of about £90 new and they are ment to be good. Also look on the places to buy part of the forum and buy from a shop with good reviews just saves you from any bad experiences.

• Supporters

Nigh on most guns under £100 are not very good

There are a only a couple which are not too bad

But even then they are way below par on say spending

£125 on G&G CYMA JG models

In a nutshell you buy those guns they won't last too long

You will be at a major disadvantage with them on a site

When - not if they go wrong, you will have a major headache

Coz the normal spares don't fit in there easily

(If at all)

Oh and this guns will hit 250fps max on 0.2s

despite what they may claim

Better guns will hit 330 - 350 and last longer etc....

Trust us coz many have bought those proxy ones and regretted it

Hello,

Just starting airsoft as a hobby after trying both and deciding i prefer airsoft over paintball (I dont know why)

Anyway i decided to get myself a gun etc and i am torn between two guns, ill post both links, i am leaning between the G36 Myself but i am not sure.

G36- https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/Blackviper-G36-AEG-Full-auto-Airsoft-BB-Gun-.html

M4- https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/Blackviper-B3814-M4-fully-auto-Airsoft-gun-in-clear.html

Also, should i buy additional battery packs with these guns? Im not sure what battery packs they come with however im not sure how long they last overall.

Other recommendations are welcome too if im making a massive mistake and being conned :D

Cheers.

Ill highlight that for you. Avoid both of them. cheap tat.

Hi and welcome. You are not making a massive mistake, but you are also not picking the best you could. Black Viper are fairly cheap and cheerful guns, they aren't terrible, but they certainly are not the best and they won't last very long, nor take much punishment. To elaborate, I bought a Black Viper AK12 from that same site, but I bought it with the express intention of immediately swapping the internal gearbox out of it (which is plastic, with plastic gears) and putting in a decent metal one, which I did. The only reason I did so, was because at the time, there was not (and still is not, any other AK12 airsoft rifle available), so what that meant is that to make a 60 quid gun decent, I had to put in a 50 quid gearbox, which meant that the only way it became a decent gun, was by it costing me about 110 quid, and I would not have done that had there been a decent AK12 available. It's also worth noting here that it wasn't a straight 'drop in' transplant, there was a small amount of work involved, which is another thing to be wary about with cheap guns, a lot of spares will not be available should it go wrong, which it will, sooner rather than later. You can read about that swap on the AK12 thread on this forum, if you are curious, and there are pics which will illustrate the differences in quality of that little experiment.

But in your case, there are decent G36 and M4 rifles available which are vastly better than those Black Viper ones, and they will cost you about 120 quid, which is more, but that is what you will be paying to get something which will not only be good out of the box, but will be something that will last, and shoot better, and can be improved further should you wish to do so.

Check this link out, for a good starter deal:

http://airsoftzone.co.uk/airsoft-zone-deals/starter-pack-deal-with-cm16-m4-carbine-with-crane-stock-bright-green-aeg-gng

Pretty much everyone on this forum will tell you the same thing. Yes a very cheap gun is attractive, but it is what it is - a cheap gun, and you can expect it to perform and last like a cheap gun will, i.e. you will wish you had not bought it and spent a little more on something better. If that happens, the extra 40 odd quid you could have paid for something decent will seem like a bargain, and you will kick yourself for not having done so. Trust me, spend the little bit extra and you will be happier with your choice.

Still being new, I totally agree with these guys.

I would avoid those and follow the advise given. I was lucky enough to be given a spare gun from my brother to use on my first skirmish, and being the bigger brother I never gave it back :)

But I would have been like you and would have chosen my first rifle based on price, having played a few skirmishes now I realise I would have been very annoyed and my bun wouldnt have lasted. I bought a M4 combat raider a little while ago based on advise on this forum and have used it twice and am itching to either upgrade or buy a much more expensive and better quality gun already as I tend to be out ranged and out gunned a lot at skirmishes.

So basically save up, a Raider or another 120-140 rifle will do you for a long time if your happy with it and will give you soo many more options.

I bought a lot of cheap kit (knee pads, clothing etc) around 6 months ago and most of it has failed already so certainly buy decent stuff. Its easy to get carried away and buy soo much but get your essentials correct the first time and you will save money and be happier for it!!

You will be disappointed with cheap kit. I was and still am!!

Took your advice and i am now thinking of getting this maybe? Will have to trade in a few xbox games though, a sacrifice im willing to make :P

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=268_318&products_id=5774

Yup all G&G Combat Machines are good. Internally they'll all be the same. The difference in barrel length between say 14.5" and 10.5" won't make much difference (more dependant on quality) just so you know.

There's also the option of waiting for a UKARA defence therefore you don't need two-tone (apparently Z1's painting service isn't very good) you could also buy from the EU (Polish retailers GunFire and TaiwanGun are popular) and you could buy some guns much cheaper (except they don't sell Combat Machines AFAIK, so yeah, but JG G36 would be only like 80-90)

As Airsoft_MrB has said - might be worth going with rentals. While ti might look like ~£50 a day, by the time you've taken out cost for the day, free BBs and possible lunch, you're looking at only about £5-10, which after 3 sessions is not much more (if at all) than you'd pay for a two-tone service - also two-tones are also a lot harder to sell (though as a result you might find one in the for sale section for a song).

Yup all G&G Combat Machines are good. Internally they'll all be the same. The difference in barrel length between say 14.5" and 10.5" won't make much difference (more dependant on quality) just so you know.

There's also the option of waiting for a UKARA defence therefore you don't need two-tone (apparently Z1's painting service isn't very good) you could also buy from the EU (Polish retailers GunFire and TaiwanGun are popular) and you could buy some guns much cheaper (except they don't sell Combat Machines AFAIK, so yeah, but JG G36 would be only like 80-90)

Unfortunately i think UKARA is out of the question since im 17 until july (When i will apply) so it will have to be 2 toned.

Well. im off to get some sleep now, thanks for the advice, i think ill buy the one listed above in my post.

I have a budget of about 110-130 pounds if anybody wants to make any other suggestions, but thanks guys for the advice on the original guns, its appreciated.

• Supporters

Raider is great choice

Long or short version if you play woodland

Short might be a little better for inside/cqb

As well as being a great starter gun it will be easy to sell

(Try giving some of them crap guns away)

Battery - nunchuck 8.4v or 9.6v max or 7.4v lipo

(Don't go nutz on 11.1v out of box)

Smart charger for nimah 8.4v/9.6v

Or lipo charger if using lipo

It req nunchuck battery - 2 sticks joined together

Decent full face mask might be needed for u18's

(Depends on site rules - deffo full face u16's)

Extra mag might be nice but think you get 300 or even 450 on raider

Decent bb's 0.2s either zero one or local site will sell them

Some old clothes n boots - that's you sorted for bare min

Other goodies clobber can wait if ya on a budget

But that above is best way to start out

(No point buying some kit & try to use a crap primary)

Hi,

My freind purchased this for his first airsoft, whilst im not considering this gun will it be any good for him? I suggested getting some extra batteries because of the low charge. He seems to think its pretty good and it would be worth me getting, im still leaning towards the one i posted above or another M4 around the £120 mark.

http://www.justbbguns.co.uk/product/517/2-TONE-BB-GUNS/338/ELECTRIC-GUNS/3004/M4-PROJECT-Z-AEG

You've made a good choice with that rifle, I have a very similar one myself, which I have as a back up to my DBoys M4 (which in fact was originally two tone when I bought it), although to be honest, the G&G one may end up taking the lead because I think it is a slightly better gun. In any case, you can take two tone paint off easily enough with a bit of Fairy power spray cleaner or oven cleaner (don't use paint stripper or varnish remover on anything other than a metal gun, you'll melt the ABS plastic!!).

It's not a legal requirement to have a gun two toned when it is in your possession, only a legal requirement for the place selling it to you to make it two toned if they have no way of confirming that you will be using it for airsoft. There are plenty of threads on here about people taking two tone paint off stuff, for example, I very recently stripped the blue two tone paint off the stock of an A47 and then painted it up to look like wood, you can see the results on the 'what have you just bought' thread a couple of pages back if you are curious. The reason I did that, was that even though I do have a UKARA registration, the two tone version was on some BB gun site at forty quid cheaper than the black/wood coloured one, and for a saving of forty quid, I was prepared to make the effort to strip the paint off!

Those Project Z ones are mostly cheap ass crap, not all of them but you can regard that as a good rule of thumb, I do in fact have a Project Z Kahr TP45 springer pistol which is not bad, but it is cheap and it won't last, and I knew that when I bought it, but I also knew that when it did break, it would still look nice on my wall, and I've got loads of other much better guns, so when it breaks, it will be no big deal to me to turn it into a wall hanger. Cybergun (who make that Project Z M4) is not always a terrible make (they make a quite nice licensed Thompson Sub Machine gun, and some licensed Kalashnikovs too), but there is absolutely no way that one you linked to will be as good as the G&G, not in a million years, it's built to meet a low price, and the internals are accordingly not good quality, as you would expect with something built to a price rather than a good standard. The G&G one on the other hand, is built like a tank and will last you years. It will hold its value too if you later wanted to sell it, you'd be lucky to get ten quid for that Project Z one if you tried to sell that, because it will be broken.

Also note that the one you linked to has a US two pin wall charger with it, so unless you have a converter, you'd be buying another charger to charge the thing up, which means it'd be another 25 quid anyway. The G&G one has a better battery too incidentally, so that'd be another thing you'd be forking out to replace. The Project Z one is all plastic internals, so it's going to break quickly, and in fact I'd put money on it breaking sooner than the Black Viper ones, and I'd avoid those too. Trust me and everyone else on this, either get the G&G in two tone, or use hire stuff for a few games and then save up and get it. You will be sorry if you don't do that, I can absolutely guarantee you that. You are in the fortunate position of being able to benefit from good advice here, I can't make you take that advice, but you should do so. I know it's tempting to buy something when you are excited about a new venture such as getting into airsoft, and we all like to save money, but if you buy that cheap one, it will be a false economy and you will end up having to buy something better, so take a deep breath and let common sense rule your decision, not a fleeting impulse.

Its too late for my friend, hes already bought it :(, but he has a spare i guess. Thanks anyway.

I have one last question (Or a couple of questions). I've made my decision and im buying this gun final. > http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=268&products_id=5774

Now a couple of questions, it doesnt mention a charger, so do i need to buy one? And if so which one will i need?

Also, would i need another battery since its 2200MAh, would it last me a full day of airsofting, im not the spray and pray type ;).

Anything else i will need with this gun apart from a charger? Would another battery pack be essential for the gun to last a full day?

Thanks.

Its too late for my friend, hes already bought it :(, but he has a spare i guess. Thanks anyway.

I have one last question (Or a couple of questions). I've made my decision and im buying this gun final. > http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=268&products_id=5774

Now a couple of questions, it doesnt mention a charger, so do i need to buy one? And if so which one will i need?

Also, would i need another battery since its 2200MAh, would it last me a full day of airsofting, im not the spray and pray type ;).

Anything else i will need with this gun apart from a charger? Would another battery pack be essential for the gun to last a full day?

Thanks.

Yes you'll need a battery and charger. The Raider is rear-wired so the wires go into the buffer tube. I think you'll want either a nunchuck style battery or a buffer tube compatible LiPo (one that's small enough to fit)

The connectors will be mini-Tamiya (not the best since they're high resistance, Deans are the way to go but only G&P guns come with them as standard, anyway a relatively easy mod for the future maybe?)

Component-Shop is a good place to look.

As for chargers you can probably pick one up for £15, Here are some: http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/search.asp?q=charger&Search=Search

I'd recommend an IMAX B6 but they're £30. I also don't think it actually comes with a Tamiya adapter either. (make sure you buy a genuine one!! I know Cool-Components is one place which sell them)

2200mAh should be enough. In fact I've never heard of anyone with a battery over 2200 mAh. I've heard the a general rule (if you could call it that idk?) is 1 mAh per shot / round but that isn't really very accurate. Would recommend extra batteries though -especially if they are more like 1000mAh each- probably one of the first things people recommend after gun including magazine, good eye / face pro, boots and so on.

• Supporters

if you get a good make of battery eg: vapex 1600mah you might last a day ok if you wasn't going nutz

most peeps tend to take 2 batteries and change at lunchtime rather that bat 1 go flat halfway through afternoon

batteries do lose their holding charge as they get old (old laptops often have a battery that lasts 15mins)

but a brand new battery "might" be ok if you go easy - but everybody plays different

(some will do say 500 (sniper) or 1,000 bb's & others can do over 3k of bb's in a day)

you need small tamiya connector on the crane/nunchuck battery and try to get a cheap-ish smart charger

Smart chargers can cost about £12 upwards and they charge but turn off so they don't cook/kill battery

place battery on worktop or old table and charge it - never on carpet/bed

keep checking it - there is a small tiny heat/fire risk like with all battery charging - so don't be silly and go out

just keep an eye on it now & then and keep watching it - common sense really

1 battery might last you or you might find you crap out on the last round of the day - but you say you not spray n prey

hard to say but reckon you may be ok but you may need to get another at some point in future

would suggest 8.4v (3+4 sticks) or 9.6v (4+4 sticks) max

some may say lipo - not 11.1v and also you need to ensure lipo nunchuck/sticks fit in stock/tube

usually the 8.4v or 9.6v nimah's go in most places fine - well unless you get the really fat diameter ones

but in general most nunchuck nimah's are the thinner sticks and pop in crane stock really easy

They reccomend this battery> http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=ZOBAT8C2

Seems pretty good...2200mAh 8.4v I think that would be enough for one day airsofting as long as i dont go crazy on the firing,

Could i use this charger with this battery? If so ill click the buy button i think :).

Charger> http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?products_id=2656

• Supporters

yup fine - battery should go in fine but may take a little careful practice to get the fiddly hang of it

(may have to extend stock - pop in 2 longer sticks and then fiddle carefully with shorter middle one

and tamiya connector as you shorten stock but that should last ya being 2200mah)

the charger has the large tamiya connector but they chuck in a large to small tamiya lead - sorted

if you get it all in one place then the shipping is all combined

(zero one are good but they do charge a bit more than most for one gun but 2-tone is free so can't have it all)

get it all, maybe a bag of .20g bb's (5k bag usually) unless ya m8 is gonna give ya some

don't forget a mask/goggles - might have to be full face if under 18/16 - most sites say young players MUST

have full face mask or a properly fitted goggles & face guard, if they see a gap by nose they can get funny

hence some say full mask - but check your site as a few operate slightly different policies

eye protection is a MUST - don't scrimp on it, the bb's don't sting that much but lets keep ya eyesight intact

It's not a legal requirement to have a gun two toned when it is in your possession, only a legal requirement for the place selling it to you to make it two toned if they have no way of confirming that you will be using it for airsoft. There are plenty of threads on here about people taking two tone paint off stuff, for example

Actually it's illegal to modify a gun to make it look realistic, so painting a two tone (or removing the bright paint) to effectively make it a RIF is illegal (though temporarily modifying, and restoring - i.e. camo tape, is fine).

(edit - I should add you can do so if you have a valid defence - i.e. active UKARA registration)

You need to read Section 37 of the VCR Act. It says quite clearly that it is an offence to so, subject to the defences in Section

Actually it's illegal to modify a gun to make it look realistic

technically yes, but you need to read Section 37 of the VCR Act if you believe that you cannot make a RIF without risking prosecution.

Section 36, Subsections 1 a and b, of the VCR Act is the bit where it does indeed state that manufacturing a RIF is an offence, but Section 36, Subsection 2, states that Subsection 1 only has effect subject to the defences in Section 37. Thus it is a suitable defence for anyone charged with manufacturing a RIF under Section 36 of the VCR Act, if they can show that it was for the purposes of making that RIF available for airsofting.

In other words, so long as you are into airsofting and have been to a recognised (i.e. insured) airsoft skirmish site, you can cheerfully spray or remove paint from every single gun you own if you like and make it as realistic as you want, because if you were ever charged under Section 36 of the VCR Act, you would only need to prove that you did so for the purpose of using it in an airsoft skirmish. You don't even need a UKARA Registration to prove that, you could simply point them to the insurance waiver that you signed at an airsoft site when you first went there (which is a legal requirement for their insurance to be valid, so they will have got you to do so), which means it is down in writing that you are an airsofter from an independent witness. That being the case, any such prosecution would be dropped.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.