TM 1911 MEU easy upgrades

kerby91

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I think any upgrade with a pistol will be easy. You need to start by thinking if you really need upgrades and if so what needs to be upgraded though.

I'm buying a TM MEU (and M&P) next year (when I'm 18) and thought about upgrades but as already said they just don't need it (range / accuracy / gas efficency already very good)

well it arrived today and ive fired maybe a mag off so far lol...its awesome and i love it.

was thinking of maybe a tighter barrel for accuracy (getting roughly a 3 inch spread over approx 30-40 foot)

ive got 3 mags for it at the moment, so ill be buying 2 more for a nice 100 odd rounds haha

I do need to get myself a cross draw set up though, want to attempt to rock just the 1911 for CQB (with my tiny little colt .25 as back up if need be...hidden as usual (i forgot i had it on sunday....til i got home and got outta my camos haha) but the CQC serpa wont mount on my rig anywhere (ive got a rig not a vest...should have gotten a vest lol)

To be honest, a three inch spread at forty feet range is pretty good, certainly tight enough to be a hit on a human-sized target when aiming at the centre of the body mass. And let's be honest, forty feet is a long way, waaaay further than most pistol engagements with either real weapons, or airsoft ones, typically occur. To put that in context for anyone trying to picture that range and how it equates to the average range of a fight, forty feet, is ten feet longer distance than the entire external length of a London Routemaster double-decker bus, and if you've ever sat at the back of such a bus on its top deck, then you know how people sat at the front appear to you in terms of target size, and that's about 27 feet away.

Moreover, I'd be willing to bet that if you clamped the pistol stationary and fired it, you'd find that it was hand movement which was causing most of the variance in grouping, and there is little anyone can do about that, it's just a fact pistols - both good and bad - are tougher to aim because of their short length, and what you've got, is a good pistol, so as the old joke goes, what you may need to modify, is 'the nut behind the trigger'.

You may be interested to know that when it comes to pistol types for police forces, the 'rule of three' is often employed, i.e. statistically, most pistol gunfights last three seconds, where three shots are fired, at a range of three yards. So the really important thing with a pistol, is getting it out quickly, bringing it onto the target quickly, and firing it quickly. These are things you can practice in your house (dry firing), and that is actually a good place to do it too, because you can turn the lights off and practice that drill purely by muscle memory rather than sight, so it really drills in there. What you may find therefore, is that more useful upgrades for your pistol, would be a laser, a holster you can get it out of quickly and easily, and plenty of practice at drawing and firing (that is unless you are going pistols only, and even then, you don't want to be fumbling about holstering pistols when changing mags or lobbing grenades).

@ Chock

Thanks for taking the time to reply mate, appreciate it.

My "range" (use the word loosely) is approx 37 foot in length so i was pleasantly please with the groupings, although i will admit that i used a box to balance my hand on, therefore eliminating any shake/wobble.

The shots were fired about 2 seconds apart, which helped keep the shots on target.

Yeah i need to get practising, but problem i have at the moment is lack of money to buy myself a decent crossdraw holster, as the CQC Serpa Loz supplied wont fit my old school chest rig :-(

Need to sell some of my warhammer crap to fund the foray into the abyss

Probably less important to have a fancy fast draw holster if you are going with a pistol as your main, but as you probably know, in CQB there's often a bit less breathing space during which to load unless you do it at your respawn point, so even if you do tend to keep the pistol in your hand, at some point it will be worth getting a holster you can get the gun in and out of quickly. Good thing about a 1911 though, is that they have the beaver tail, which is great for keeping the gun in the holster securely with a clip strap across it, so lots of holsters do suit it.

One that you might consider, as an inexpensive interim solution, is the 58 webbing canvas holster for the 9mm Browning Hi Power. I have one of those, and I occasionally put my long slide Kimber Warrior (Hi Cap modernised 1911) into that, which fits it very well, although it can take Glocks and stuff like that too. They can be found cheaply if you search about, for example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/58-Pattern-Webbing-Holster-For-Browning-9mm-Hi-Power-/291364438841

That one is identical to mine, (which I've had for about 35 years, although I recently made mine black to suit my CQB loadout). As you can see from the pics of that one on ebay, it has a belt loop as well as a number of other fixings which allow a bit of experimenting on how it can be attached to stuff.

@Mack, what sort of belt though? obviously not a standard belt haha

@Chock not a fan of tht holster, can see why its useful though mate. i was thinking of buying an assault vest at some point, dont wanna pay silly money for one though as it will get used and abused alot

@Mack, what sort of belt though? obviously not a standard belt haha

@Chock not a fan of tht holster, can see why its useful though mate. i was thinking of buying an assault vest at some point, dont wanna pay silly money for one though as it will get used and abused alot

Any belt will do mate. Just slide it through the loops on the Serpa and bobs your uncle

cqc-serpa-holster-belt-tan2.jpg

cqc-serpa-holster-belt-black2.jpg

• Supporters

You can get a molle adapter for that serpa. That gun was always pretty accurate it was the exceptionally light trigger combined with my fat fingers that led to it getting sold.

Glad you're enjoying it though :-)

The trigger is sooo light its unreal man, and I've been using crappy cheap gas. Ordered some decent stuff tonight so cant wait for that to turn up. Also ordered myself a pistol belt (nice thick quick release thing) and ill be nabbing some scotch brite from work tomorrow so incan sand down the spare slide n practice some camo styles on it 😁 muchoa gracios loz, I love it

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.