Airsoft Sniping Thread

Guest Imanairsofter

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Guest Imanairsofter

I'm looking at buying a sniper to play at my local site. I have looked around and seen a few but I'm not sure whats best, in areas such as effective range , accuracy at range, upgrade-ability and such. Also I'm wondering if there is any woodland sniper players who could suggest some load-outs(I already have a KJW G23, so no need to discuss pistols)kit, what you carry for a continuos game, and how you would carry it, please discuss pros and cons to a Ghillie in a dense woodland environment.

Any input would be appreciated, please don't comment if you don't have any idea what your talking about. Thanks Guys, and Girls.

P.s I play at Ground Zero Woodland, they do the National Airsoft event there, if you have been you would understand the terrain.

Sam. :)

Tokyo Marui VSR. Have a lot of upgrades available for them and are one of the easiest rifles you'll ever have to maintain. Stock fps of 280-300 but easily remedied with a new spring and stronger spring guide. The stock hop up is great - TM hop ups seem to have that bit of magic in them that makes the BBs just go further. Add on top of that a brilliant build quality and precision barrel (6.04 I think) as standard means you'll have a rifle that will last a fair while. I use a clone of this rifle (Well MB02) and have had no issues with upgrading/part replacement.

Set up wise it's personal preference. My current set up is a simple belt rig to store mags for my sidearm (a KWA vz61 machine pistol), rubber knife (for safety kills), a TRMR (+ blanks) and two spare sniper mags. Very light and keeps me mobile since I need to be able move from point to point as quickly as possible. Also means I don't have unnecessary gear catching on branches/brambles.

Ghillie suits are another matter of personal choice. I personally don't use one - the terrain at my local site is too varied for an efficient ghillie suit. Plus my style of play is more geared towards recon than sniping - the added weight of a ghillie outweighs any benefit it would have in my eyes. That said, at a site with more consistent terrain they are brilliant bits of kit - if the person using it knows what they're doing with it. Common beginner mistake is to not make their added foliage match the area where they are.

I echo the VSR10 comment, had one 10 years ago and they were fantastic then...nice to hear they are still as good.

Sunday there was a lad in a ghille...he turned up, put the suit on...and rolled around in mud and leaves for 5 minutes haha, u must remember to at least attempt to blend in with your local flora

• Supporters

Yup, Marui VSR-10 is the best.

You only need ghillie if you lay down and wait a lot. For that to work, you will need a mislim game. Most of the time a head and shoulders "ghillie" is perfectly enough.

Since you said we shouldn't discuss pistols, then I won't say that an NBB like an MK23 is more suited as a sidearm. :)

Proper airsoft sniping is a very different playstyle to normal playing. If it's similar, then you are not sniping, you are a DM. ;)

Practice with your gun a lot. Set it up so that on about 40 yards it shoots exactly where the crosshair is. Learn where you should aim on 30-50-60 yards. A very-very good AS sniper gun can do a grouping of 30-40cm on 70 yards. That means every shot is inside that circle. If someone says "mine is better", tell them to prove it. :) Measure 70 yards and place 10 shots on a target, and don't leave out stray BBs, or blame the wind, etc. Place ALL the shots inside that circle.

Anyway. You won't even shoot that grouping in a game, because the target moves, there is some wind, there is some foilage in between, you are tired, etc. You usually shoot at about 40-50 yards. Well within the range of AEGs. So sniping is mostly about surprise. Get them from an angle they don't expect. Place 3-4 shots, and leave even if you don't have a hit. Once someone with an AEG knows where you are, he will get you. Well, you can use this to lure them. Get some shots, and when they go after you, you are already in a spot you found earlier looking down your previous position. It's not easy to do this but it's an awesome feeling if you pull it off. :D

Don't be afraid of laying down, moving very-very slow or staying in one place for half an hour or more - and leave without a shot.

Use the heaviest BBs your gun can handle, and use the best ones you can find.

The other playstyle you can do is being a DM. A DM moves with the team, and engages the enemy about the same way as the others. Your gun shoots less, but more accurate so eventually at the same success rate. For this style - because of the minimal engagement distance - you will need a sidearm with good firepower. For a sniper an accurate and silent handgun is the best. For a DM, something that shoots a lot. GBB with spare mags, AEPs with full auto capability, even SMGs. Once I played with my sniper gun on my back on a biathlon sling and my AEG in the hand, being able to switch them - which was a pain in the ass but it was fun to have the extra accuracy and scope when needed.

You will see what works for you and for the sites you are playing. The most important is that even if you have a lot of experience with an AEG, be prepared to learn a lot before you can be a succesful sniper.

Guest Imanairsofter

Just to add to what I said before, I have a mate who is willing to be my medium range support. He has a cm16 by g&g. Has this worked for anyone else? I

I used to dabble with sniping. In airsoft sniping, it's important to remain unnoticed at least until you start shooting at them- and even then it's ideal to remain well hidden. Having someone next to you opening up with a loud AEG will not help you in your role- unless they hold their fire for close quarters defense and act as a spotter.

• Supporters

If you coordinate well with him, it can work really well. You are way more noticeable on the move if there are two of you, but having two fire positions, and of course that automatic weapon to compensate the sniper's weakness is great. Don't ever be in the same spot with your spotter. On patrol the spotter goes first. He also should have the same ghillie as you. You really should have radio contact with him. When enemy is nearby, only one of you moves at a time.

When I played with my spotter he got way more kills than me, but I got the tricky ones. :) And with no enemy nearby, we could take great pictures how well the other is hiding. :D

Gas snipers yay or nay?

HPA if you want them to run completely consistently. A popular rifle to convert to HPA is the KJW M700. I had one- they're great without HPA, but even better with it.

There are many many youtube guides for installing an HPA system, and if you need any further help, our friendly neighbourhood HPA guru PT247 may be able to answer any questions you have

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.