Afgan style loadout

clumpyedge

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Need some help from you lot on sourcing something i found in a video a recently watched...

Looks more like a cape than an actual poncho but cant seem to find anything remotely similar, if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be grand.

(apologies for crap picture)

post-7793-0-04686800-1422441685_thumb.jpg

It's almost certainly an army blanket, probably safety pinned at the neck to hold it in place. They are fairly typical Mujahideen gear, since it is cold up in those mountains. But traditional craft Afghan blankets are usually more colourful than that, so it's not a typical 'tourist purchase' Afghan blanket, more likely an old army surplus one, possibly something the Russians left behind in 81 when they cleared out, or maybe taken off a dead soldier from the Soviet-Afghan war. If you do a search for a 'Bulgarian Officer's blanket' you'll find those are the same colour as the one in your picture, in fact they are darker on one side than on the other (to suit different terrains), but it'd be a good lookalike, and very warm too, since they are wool (heavy because of that as well, i.e. quite a few lbs in weight).

You may find this link useful too (there are several pages of pics of Mujahideen soldiers, but be warned before you click on the link, one or two of the pictures are of a fairly unpleasant nature, i.e hangings and such - they are war images after all, so if you are squeamish, be ready to close the window):

http://flickrhivemind.net/flickr_hvmnd.cgi?method=GET&page=1&photo_number=50&tag_mode=all&search_type=Tags&originput=mujahideen&sorting=Interestingness&photo_type=250&noform=t&search_domain=Tags&sort=Interestingness&textinput=mujahideen

thank you very m

It's almost certainly an army blanket, probably safety pinned at the neck to hold it in place. They are fairly typical Mujahideen gear, since it is cold up in those mountains. But traditional craft Afghan blankets are usually more colourful than that, so it's not a typical 'tourist purchase' Afghan blanket, more likely an old army surplus one, possibly something the Russians left behind in 81 when they cleared out, or maybe taken off a dead soldier from the Soviet-Afghan war. If you do a search for a 'Bulgarian Officer's blanket' you'll find those are the same colour as the one in your picture, in fact they are darker on one side than on the other (to suit different terrains), but it'd be a good lookalike, and very warm too, since they are wool (heavy because of that as well, i.e. quite a few lbs in weight).

You may find this link useful too (there are several pages of pics of Mujahideen soldiers, but be warned before you click on the link, one or two of the pictures are of a fairly unpleasant nature, i.e hangings and such - they are war images after all, so if you are squeamish, be ready to close the window):

http://flickrhivemind.net/flickr_hvmnd.cgi?method=GET&page=1&photo_number=50&tag_mode=all&search_type=Tags&originput=mujahideen&sorting=Interestingness&photo_type=250&noform=t&search_domain=Tags&sort=Interestingness&textinput=mujahideen

Thanks very much for the insightful response Chock :D

• Supporters

Certainly be the warmest :P

Similar setup was used by SBS and SFOD when they first went into afghan working with the Northern Alliance

It would be good to see this load out at a site because when I see someone head to toe in MTP It just screams wanker. It's kind of boring aswell because I like to see what other people have got but no one has an imagination and they just copy cod

• Supporters

You will be the most hated man on the site dressed like that :D

depends where site is located - Bradford, Birmingham etc.....

soz to avoid upsetting anyone

if playing in other inner city areas and the newbie loadout of hoodies, jeans falling down ya ar$e etc....

the more seasoned players might find them in the "oiky chav look" easy targets to pick off........

then the pro's find out them oiky players have ripped out all the car stereo's quicker than the pro's could change a mag

see - I upset everybody

loadouts - very personal thing but jeans n jacket does me...

(I'm $hit at it so a cool looking loadout won't make my aim no more accurate - though it might help me not get picked off so easy)

What screams wanker are people who think other people are wankers for what they are wearing ;)

People generally judge people on what they wear anyway. Airsoft is like a fashion show for some people.

People generally judge people on what they wear anyway. Airsoft is like a fashion show for some people.

And those very same people are the ones who cry and whinge on forums about people with expensive gear slagging there cheap viper and DPM gear

reverse airsoft snobbery at its finest :rolleyes:

And those very same people are the ones who cry and whinge on forums about people with expensive gear slagging there cheap viper and DPM gear

reverse airsoft snobbery at its finest :rolleyes:

If you want snobbery at it's finest read your post again.

I know what I said (although Im still to see anyone look down on anyone for not having expensive gear), I didnt say either were right, clearly you missed the point. And frankly any who does either is a shitehawk

I know what I said (although Im still to see anyone look down on anyone for not having expensive gear), I didnt say either were right, clearly you missed the point. And frankly any who does either is a shitehawk

You were the one that said people moan when people slag them for having cheap gear I've not seen that either. But back to my main point people that play with toy guns should be able to come up with something more imaginative than a COD load out.

You were the one that said people moan when people slag them for having cheap gear I've not seen that either. But back to my main point people that play with toy guns should be able to come up with something more imaginative than a COD load out.

MTP = CoD? What?

Not sure I get your point, if there is one.

How about: 'people playing with toy guns can wear whatever the hell they like'?

• Supporters

when I see someone head to toe in MTP It just screams wanker.

:D

I'm not insulting anyone really

Am I missing something?

Anyways what we wear doesn't make anyone better or worse at playing a game where we run round with toy guns, so drop the subject please :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.