wording definitions

n1ckh

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've heard these words thrown around a few times in the airsoft hobby and was asked once but I couldn't give an answer as I didn't know, can someone explain what they mean please ??

Proprietary ??

Linear ??

Non linear ??

Proprietary = unique to that brand/model

Linear = straight line

Nonlinear = output not directionally proportional to input

So a proprietary part will only fit that gun

A linear aeg spring will require the same force to compress it throughout it's range, a non linear aeg spring will compress with less force to start with then the force will need to increase the further it is compressed. The benefit being that a motor will be able to spin up easily at the start of the cycle potentially reducing strain on parts, then once moving the load increases so pistons etc are possibly less likely to strip teeth etc

Ak47 I know what linear and non- linear are in terms of definition in the Oxford dictionary but in terms of airsoft applications (i apologise for not being clear and has been ammended in the opening question) but considering I'm still a newbie who started 4 months ago, my knowledge increases with every question I ask

Thankyou PT for answering, now I know what they mean which says I have non linear springs in all my rifles

My mates ICS M4 is proprietary where as my M4's and G36C are not, I was asked at a game if my G36 was proprietary and I didn't know but luckily there mags fitted mine

Fair enough, my mates ICS M4 lower receiver broke right at the rear body pin so needs to get a new one, I'll probably fit it for him as I dont mind and he always picks me up on a game day :)

• Supporters

well I learned something about springs n stuff

many thanks for advanced open university course of airsoft enginneering

plus now got a posh term "proprietary" when I find some mofo TM compatible bits are not gonna go in

without a gentle adjustment using the trusted "hammer + file the f*cking thing" technique

(prefer the term: bastid cheap spare parts that don't fit in this pile of crap mofo crappy gun)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.