Vietnam era M56 webbing

mintsauce5

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm just starting out on the airsoft trail got my first game in a couple of weeks , in my younger days (late teens early 20's) I used to play regularly at a tactical paintball site , I was just going through my equipment from that period and I've got a complete set of Vietnam era M56 webbing , yolks , two magazine pouches , water bottle holder , belt , compass pouch and even two M16 magazine bandoliers , is there a market for this kind of thing as I'm looking at quite a money outlay for new kit etc , its all original issue equipment and I haven't got a clue on its worth these days 😀

Or keep it and get the gun to match. There are Gunman airsoft vietnam games and Combat south does it's annual Vietnam game.

Have a look at http://s6.zetaboards.com/vietnamairsoft/index/ . Not terribly active, but will give an idea of what's going on in the Vietnam Milsim world.

Have to say, it's good to turn up in a sea of multicam with a loadout thats just that bit different, and makes you stand out in the safe zone. Had a scenario last time I was out where there were people taking pictures of me in my 1st Air Cav gear with a guy wearing 101st Airborne kit. For me, I watched loads of Vietnam movies when I was a kid, and really like the idea of re-enacting it.

If you,decide its not for you, have a look on eBay - original Vietnam kit makes pretty good money. Alternatively I'll give you a fiver for the lot😉

lucky%20strike_zpsfr8r714p.jpg

If you're wondering what that ad campaign is about, Lucky Strike packs used to be green all over, but market research done in the early forties showed that the green pack colour wasn't popular with women, so they changed the pack to white with just a green Lucky Strike logo, which also saved on printing costs too. However, they thought that changing the logo colour from green might further improve popularity with women, but they needed a good reason to say why they were going to change the colour. Fortunately for American Tobacco, the company which makes Lucky Strike, the answer came in the form of WW2...

Many US men had gone off to fight in WW2, and were often reliant on their wives and sweethearts sending them cigarettes. So the company had particularly good reason for wanting US women to favour the Lucky Strike brand. George Washington Hill, the president of American Tobacco, had been told in early 1942 that there was only about three month's supply of green ink left in the US, because the ink used metal in its base, which was by then a strategic material. This was only partially true, because the only really importantly strategic metal used in any ink on the Lucky Strike pack artwork, was in the gold coloured ring around the green logo, and it would have been easy to drop that without changing the logo's green colour. So, American Tobacco stopped making tobacco tins, making cardboard ones instead, dropped the gold trim from the Lucky Strike logo, and changed the main logo colour from green to red, then came up with the campaign 'Lucky Strike has gone to war!', promoting the reason for all the changes they made as being to help the war effort. They frequently announced in radio shows which they sponsored, that they were saving enough copper and tin to produce 400 light tanks annually, which was probably untrue, but nobody really cared very much about checking the veracity of any advertising during the war if it appeared patriotic.

That is why you nearly always see US soldiers in WW2, Korea and Vietnam etc, with a pack of Luckies, because even today it is still thought of by many in the US as a 'patriotic' brand, which in fairness to them, it probably is.

thanks for the replies everybody , I prefer the more modern look I think , I've put it in a Vietnam re-enactment for sale forum to see if it gets any interest , always open to offers on it though ;-) bit more than a fiver though :)

Where have you advertised it?

• 1 month later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.