Camo Question

danbristow91

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

As im going to be new to this, Starting from Scratch,

and first off its camo, Ill mainly be playing on two sites, http://www.specopsairsoft.co.uk/ One Quarry and one forest,

I expect the quarry more often as its only 10 min from my flat,

so question being is there a camo that covers both, Iooking at them, camo would seem more important in the forest, as the quarry looks more open,

Any opinions

MTP can stick out like a sore thumb in woodland, I always use woodland camo (DPM)

But I'm leaning towards an MTP load out

Look on eBay for the old desert DPM clothes used by British army during gulf war 1

People who say that camo does not work in airsoft do not understand what the full purpose of camouflage actually is. Yes it is intended to help one blend into the average background of the terrain one is in, but that is in not its only purpose, it has several others. These being, recognition of friendly troops so you know who is whom and don't engage your buddies, and aiding in delaying target acquisition and range finding, by breaking up recognisable outlines, the latter being perhaps the most important factor.

A classic example of the latter, is the splinter camouflage found on many WW1 and WW2 battleships; nobody was seriously expecting those paint jobs to actually hide a battleship, but they knew that when enemy gunners looked through their scopes at ships painted in such a way, it was considerably harder for them to determine the type of ship, its length and height on their stadimetric rangefinder scope reticules, because the pattern was breaking up the vessel's outline, so they would be slower in sending accurate range data settings to the guys fusing the shells and adjusting the elevation of the guns. The well known saying, 'thrice blessed is he who gets in the first hit' had a real meaning for the people in those old battleships painted in schemes which made enemy gunnery more difficult, since one accurate shot before the other guy could even fire at all, was often the deciding factor in a battleship engagement. The same is true in airsoft much of the time; all other things being equal, it's often the player who fires first who is going to win the engagement.

So, when it comes to picking a camo scheme which you hope will work in two environments, you might find the criteria of 'what works against the typical background of the terrain' cannot be suitably addressed, but the other two criteria of 'recognition between friendlies', and 'breaking up familiar outlines', most certainly can. Because of that, I would suggest that a scheme which breaks up outlines more effectively on the more open ground would be the better choice, since that is the one where there will be more opportunities for snipers, and anything you can do to slow a snipers's process of spotting, determining range and taking a shot, will pay greater dividends in that terrain than it would in other locations where the sniper ranges may be closed down. You may also consider what people you regularly team up with are wearing as another criteria which will aid in teamwork, but since that is not something which can be entirely relied upon, I'd say it was a less important consideration.

It's worth noting here, that one of the main issues with all camouflage, is that generally speaking, it tends to be a too dark to work at longer ranges, where terrain colours fade with distance, so that's something you might want to consider too, i.e. you may well find that a desert camo, whilst not being the typical colour you'd find in most quarries, is at least not going to be dark against stone colours which are being illuminated by a lot of sunlight.

I think camo works just as well in airsoft as in real soldiering. Only issue is the range people are enganging at largely removes the possibility of concealment, but definately will always aid in reducing your opponents target aquisition. Who knows how much difference that actually makes due to the general spread of firing BBs, and that most will spray your blurred outline with full-auto anyways. And lots of milsim events insist on dif camo schemes for each team.

Id suggest wearing different top/trousers. the larger an area of continuos color is, the easier it is to spot, especially when it moves. not too different mind or the contrast will stick out more. Two different styles of camo will do, can be similar shades. I go for darker trousers, lighter top as this matches woodland or most other areas, darker ground, lighter folliage.

Or make a ghille suit and spend the day waddling around like a sea-weed monster :)

Haha seaweed monster, love it....

Might get a suit at some point fancy a bit of sniping,

CheErs for all the other responses, will consider mtp, what I might do is just get mtp chest rigs or vests and then buy camp unders for each place, not overly expensive that way round,

On the local groups page most said the rocks doesn't need camo, I think most have a laugh with the looks, jeans and a hoodie would suffice,

Are the vests and rigs on eBay any good? Or are they generally cheep rubbish that falls apart

Depends on the manufacturer, but I'd say the only issue you might get is one side of a button falling off or similar (only issue i've had with such stuff from a few dif manufacturers). the material will be cheap plasticy stuff, but it'll hold up to the rigors of usage pretty well, possibly better than a natural fibre. doubt you'll have poor stitching and it actually fall apart or anything, prob just the odd button as mentioned as they'll be cheap and stamped on.

Seems to be alot of people making vests/rigs aimed at airsoft now, in the past was all military surplus.

Viper seems to be the main non-military supplier airsoft stores opt for. I've got a bit of it and found it to be all good

Also if any the sites you play at are used for paintball also, then the paint will be a bitch to get off such polymer fabric and if left to dry will bond with the material

• Supporters

Paintball paint comes off really easily, it's not really 'paint', just powder suspended in an oily liquid.

As for camo, wear what blends in the woods if you want to conceal yourself better. Nothing is going to work in a quarry at airsoft ranges; the second you move you'll be spotted even if you're wearing the best camo known to man!

Alternately, wear what you think looks cool!

• Supporters

Paintball paint comes off really easily, it's not really 'paint', just powder suspended in an oily liquid.

As for camo, wear what blends in the woods if you want to conceal yourself better. Nothing is going to work in a quarry at airsoft ranges; the second you move you'll be spotted even if you're wearing the best camo known to man!

Justto add that while in real use yes, uniforms help you identify who is on whose side that all goes out the window in an airsoft skirmish as both sides will have a mix of camo/non camo/jeans and hoodies.

Pick what you like the look of and learn to hide properly. Not being seen at airsoft ranges has more to do with good use of cover and thinking about how you move than it does with whether you wear Arid Flecktarn or Multiglam.

Any chance you could offer guidance on what to use to clean it off if you use anything special? Or is it generally supposed to be no more difficult than any other dirt to wash off?

i've got a molle belt covered in it, and no amount of washing, scrubbing, stain remover etc has done the job, paint seems to have well and truely fused to it and the best i'm managing is bits flaking off and taking a layer of material with them.

I did do this in the peak of the summer, and i did not try and clean it off until the following morning, so perhaps the heat, cheap material of the belt and time to dry have allowed this to happen.

ah well seems I've suffered a worse case scenario then as was first I tried!

I got covered in the stuff in an old bus which was the main feature of one the arenas, and was more a thick grey paste of many years of paint and moss.

Are the vests and rigs on eBay any good? Or are they generally cheep rubbish that falls apart

Could be either really. Inexpensive ones I can recommend, because I have them and use all three of them, are...

This one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0041300WK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

This one: http://www.tacticalgeartrade.co.uk/usmc-molle-combat-assault-plate-carrier-vest-multi-camo.html

(although I wouldn't recommend that Tactical Gear Trade one to anyone who is fat, because although adjustable, it wouldn't fit anyone huge)

And this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007K7L2RQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

The black tactical load bearing vest is good for lightweight CQB. The Amazon one is good for an M4 loadout with a pistol, and the Tactical Gear Trade one is good for a heavier loadout. Both the camo ones have molle strips on them, but they all come with a decent set of pouches already.

'Arid woodland'? Do you know what the word ARID means?!

Have you ever seen the colours of ARID Flecktarn in comparison to Multiglam ?

Arid Woodland

http://s99.photobucket.com/user/baziuk/media/Remington%20700%20AAC%20SD%20MANNERS%20T4/2012AUTUMN03.jpg.html

Arid Fleck

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img844/3573/aridfleck4.jpg

Could be either really. Inexpensive ones I can recommend, because I have them and use all three of them, are...

This one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0041300WK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

This one: http://www.tacticalgeartrade.co.uk/usmc-molle-combat-assault-plate-carrier-vest-multi-camo.html

(although I wouldn't recommend that Tactical Gear Trade one to anyone who is fat, because although adjustable, it wouldn't fit anyone huge)

And this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007K7L2RQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

The black tactical load bearing vest is good for lightweight CQB. The Amazon one is good for an M4 loadout with a pistol, and the Tactical Gear Trade one is good for a heavier loadout. Both the camo ones have molle strips on them, but they all come with a decent set of pouches already.

Cheers For that,

Went into a local shop today and had a look around the camo, had a look at some guns too.

When you Say Fat... Im not small but im not massive either lol Just so cheep would be good if it fit

• Supporters

arid
ˈarɪd/
adjective
  1. 1.
    (of land or a climate) having little or no rain; too dry or barren to support vegetation.
    "the arid plains north of Cape Town"
    synonyms: dry, dried up, waterless, as dry as a bone, moistureless, parched,scorched, baked, thirsty; More

Too dry or barren to support vegetation means no woodland btw.

• Supporters

Holy shiz, I just googled 'arid woodland' and it seems some manufacturer has actually called a pattern that...

Though it is 'mil-tec' so I'm not overly surprised. They also made the rather hilarious 'urban' pattern which is just black and white US woodland.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.