good evening

smokebelch

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ello, thought I'd introduce myself unsure.png

I'm Dave, live near Grimsby, only been into 'softing for the last 4 months, and my God, how I wish I'd found it years ago!!!!

Up to now only been playing indoors CQB (Arena Airsoft in Grimsby) but as the weather picks up I will be venturing outdoors.

Got my UKARA last month and bought a few bits already:

Bolt M4 SOPMOD

JG MP5 SD

KJ Works KP02 (Think its a P229 clone?)

Bought the following as 2 tones to get me going (both sprayed black now though)....dont laugh, remember they were my first purchases wink.png

CYMA M4 S-System

CYMA Desert Eagle

My look is all black at the moment (purely because as I say Ive only played indoors up to now, and its quite dark) but will be looking for advice (in the correct section obviously) on whats the best gear to wear when I start outdoors (woodland with some open ground/ quarry)

Brace yourselves for some very dumb questions (if I cant find what im looking for via search) please bare with me, Im on a very steep learning curve, but I'm hooked on the sport, so want to learn as much as I can.

Look forward to speaking with you all, and maybe in the future scoring a hit from some of you!!!!!

Welcome aboard. :)

Sensible to go for a black loadout for CQB, although when it is dark, I'm sure you've noticed from other players wearing it, that you can easily get away with camo gear, which means if you are planning to go to woodlands sites, you can start picking up the odd bit of camo here and there and using it anyway. In doing CQB, you have doubtless realised the importance of being able to get to stuff easily and quickly when at close quarters, when you often have to switch weapons quickly and occasionally reload them quickly too, so you'll already know that 'taking the kitchen sink with you' and having tons of pouches everywhere, is often a hindrance rather than a help in CQB, but less so in outdoor fights.

In woodland skirmishes there's invariably a little bit more time to 'get your sh*t together', since the range starts off long and you can usually control how quickly it closes down, so there's quite often less of a rush to switch to pistols, and more cover to enable you to do that and things such as reloading, at a comparatively leisurely pace as opposed to in CQB. You've no doubt also already noticed that reusable timed and impact grenades can be game changers in CQB, whereas people are less inclined to be lobbing their 80 quid grenades about in woodland, where they can easily be lost, so one off pyro grenades and in particular, smoke, are the things which can change matters dramatically outdoors. Not to mention the fact that CQB sites are very often semi-auto only and in some locations pistols only, whereas in woodlands, you'll be contending with snipers, more full auto fire, and much higher FPS limits, and all the things that engenders, such as possibly different protective gear, for example goggles with better peripheral vision than you can get away with in CQB (and indeed better resistance to hits, since a sniper rifle can be hitting at 500fps). There's certainly more chance of being flanked and having pincer movements pulled on you than there is in most CQB situations, so a good peripheral view is more of a factor.

If you think about that kind of thing, and consider the way a fight is likely to take place with two teams closing on one another in a forest with bushes for cover and lots of opportunities for good camouflage, the sort of things you might want to consider picking up in terms of equipment becomes fairly apparent.

Many thanks for the welcomes, and thanks for the insight into things I should be considering Chock, certainly given me plenty to be thinking about!

In regards to camo for woodland, could you recommend a particular type? (as I say, Im a complete novice and have pretty much no idea as to the differences in patterns, abbreviations etc) Im not after a particular look, well thats not strictly true, I do like the private contractor look (in the style of Blackwater/ Xe services/ Acadami) but that obviously wont work in woodland.

Any advice/ pointers are gratfully received

Greetings and welcome. In regards to gear, it comes down to what you look to do. Are you looking to portray a certain element in the military, or more of a casual look that suits most environments? If you are looking to pattern yourself after a certain military group, just google them. Research. If you are looking for a non-standard look, then start googling camo patterns and gear. Look at how the uniform works with the area you wish to play. The beautiful thing about gear is that there is so much of it. If you have the ability to go to a military store or airsoft shop, pop in and physically handle the gear you want. Once you have a base idea, then begin to narrow down and ask for reviews. This is YOUR hobby, own it!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.