personal preferance on mag sizes

kerby91

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey all

So despite the fact ive only just got back into the hobby, ive always preferred low cap mags over the rest, mainly due to the fact that I love the realism effect of having to watch my ammo and reload more often than most.

Sure its a ballache some times, and I used to get caught mid mag change by the enemy alot but that's part of the fun haha

What's everyone else enjoy using?

I have lo-caps, mid-caps, hi-caps and stupidly hi-caps, just use what I fancy on the day. Generally at the mo use an 850 round hi-cap but when my GHK G5 is back skirmishable will use a 250 round hi-cap converted to run HPA

If I had something that easily allowed it, I'd probably run mids more than I currently do. Hopefully I pick up the SCAR-L that I've been eyeing soon, and that should allow me to start using more mids.

It's all about the midcaps, although having said that I've had to modify all of my midcaps in order for them to work at all.

Hicaps are much more reliable, yet less fun. Also hate running around like a pair of maracas.

Got highs, mids and lows, all of which offer pros and cons, so I use whatever floats my boat on that particular day.

Having said that, with airsoft rifles, and even smgs, we don't have the accuracy, range or penetration of the real weaponry, and sometimes people don't feel a hit, so we typically need a few more rounds to get a hit than you would with the real weapon, especially in woodlands, where even a leaf or twig can stop a round, which if it was the real weapon firing, wouldn't make much difference at all. That's never that much of an issue for me, because I prefer firing on semi-auto most of the time, with aimed double or triple taps and would probably only select full auto if someone needed me to keep someone's head down whilst they ran for cover or some such, so I can cheerfully get by with low caps, but for those who like to auto fire more often, I would say that mid capacity mags probably offer an experience more akin to the real thing, when we take that lack of range, accuracy and penetration with airsoft weapons into account, i.e they offer enough ammo to compensate for the shortcomings of airsoft weapons, but not the stupidly overpowered ability to cap off 300 rounds from what is supposed to be an assault rifle with a thirty round mag and a barrel that would almost certainly be on fire if it had 60 rounds go through it in one burst.

In addition to that, I tend to regard having a speed loader in a vest pocket as the equivalent of carrying bandoliers or fast loading stripper clips (but without the weight fortunately), so even if I had just three or four low cap mags on me, I'd still basically have enough ammo to reload two or three of those, and that is definitely what I do with GBBs, because those mags can get pretty expensive, and unlike on the real battlefield, our GBB mags are heavy even when empty and are not really disposable either.

I carry 5 30 round mags for mym4, but i also carry a 90 round speedloader, so i technically have 8 30 round mags...so a total of 240 shots...less than a minutes full auto if i could load them quickly enough haha

I have 3 guns (and a 4th on the way), only one of these will take a high cap. MP5 high caps are hard to wind. I much prefer mid caps anyway, its just so much less hassle to change mags than to keep winding up the mag.

I tend to use high caps, I've never really needed more than 1 magazine per game but I have the one that came with my rifle and a larger M16 style high cap.

I did buy two mid caps from someone second hand over a year ago, but they are either funky as they do have some outer wear and tear, or maybe my M4 just doesn't like them, as the first 5-10 rounds always just fall out the barrel onto the floor.
Pro to the high cap for me is being that winding noise when it runs dry, so I know I'm actually out of rounds as when I did use the mid cap I kept having to fire the odd shot at the floor to know if it was still feeding and had rounds in it.

I would like to try running mids at some point, but I can't justify buying them right now. Higher kit priorities and all that.
But I do like the reloading factor when I can on my other weapons, such as loading 16 rounds per pistol mag rather than the capacity of 28/30 it can take.

• Supporters

I used to run only mids but then I started running mids with normal ammo and a hicap with tracer (just because that's what I had spare) which led to me just using the high cap full of tracer. I now have Incentive Designs tracer mags for both M4 and AK so I may go back to mix and matching.

I use 6 mid caps and 1 high cap, the hi cap is when I run out of mids, I have 5 mids at the front with a mid and hi cap mags on my back in a pouch

For skirmishing I use 1 Hi cap and 5-6 mids. Milsim I go all mids.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.