New Dorset member

danbristow91

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Looking to get going with this in the near future (march/april) when the new cars bought and i have spare cash again,

Have a local group to me, with two nice looking venues

probably going down the route of buying a half decent two tone, and then sorting out the ukara card after that, then using the two tone to paint and build a base with,

Quite fancy a go at sniping,

Already loving some of the threads on here

Dan

Welcome aboard. :)

Be a bit wary about getting into sniping from the start, it can get expensive very quickly, which is why most people on here, including me, would suggest just going for a fairly standard assault rifle type of set up, seeing how you get on with that, and then maybe looking at sniping a bit further down the line if it still appeals to you.

It's true that you can get a sniper airsoft rifle for around 140 quid or so, such as the A&K SVD Dragunov or the Well L96, and both are not bad as they come, but you fairly soon realise that to get the best out of them, you need a decent scope, a barrel and hop up upgrade, a tweak to the trigger mechanism, a customised piston, some very good camo gear, etc, etc, and pretty soon, that 140 quid will seem like the cheap part of getting it together. There are plenty of airsoft snipers out there who have spent well over a grand on souping up their rifle, and those guys will outrange an off the shelf airsoft sniper rifle by a long way. Not only that, but what you will also find after a few skirmishes, is that you get to know which are strong and weak points at the skirmish site, which routes people go, where the choke points are, etc. It's when you know those things that sniping will become a more viable choice.

So in addition to that expense and the requirement of knowing the lie of the land a bit better, airsoft sniping is (obviously) at vastly shorter distances than real world sniping, and unlike with real world snipers, you won't have a spotter who is also kitted out with an assault rifle to protect you if people start flanking you. So there is far more chance of you getting closed down and ending up having to switch to a close quarters weapon, such as an MP5K or an AKS74U, or even a decent pistol. With that in mind, you could get an assault weapon which will serve as a suitable back up later on if you do chose to give sniping a try, and it will kind of 'future proof' your initial purchase. So perhaps consider an assault rifle with a folding stock and a fairly shortish barrel, i.e. something which you could feasibly sling over your shoulder if you did chose to carry a sniper rifle.

Alternatively, you might consider buying a longer assault rifle, with a view to later converting it into a DMR (designated marksman rifle), which makes you for want of a better description, an 'assault sniper'. Good choices for that role are the longer more traditional variants of the M16 Armalite of the kind which were fielded during the Vietnam War, as opposed to the shorter M4 variants you see most troops carrying these days. But in either case, this is why the Armalite platform is a good starting choice, because it is easily the most upgradeable type of airsoft rifle, so even a short M4 can have a longer barrel and foregrip swapped in, to change is effectiveness at longer engagement ranges..

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply,

I get what your saying, and having a think about it, im going to go assault rifle type first, with a decent side arm, and then once ive got some exp and a ukara card ill look to get a sniper to play with,

I can see where it gets expensive, i told my self i wont let it happen.... I can see that not lasting long, but then i dont have the spare money to play once a week so who knows lol

gunna have a nosey in a couple of local shops with air soft in them, just to get a feel for what they are like,

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.