Eye/Face Protection! I need a solution

Snakeeyes75

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all!

Last Sunday I went to my 4th Skirmish, in honesty I was having a rubbish day (Shooting wise) didn't get one hit and to top it off I got shot in the forehead by what I think was a heavy BB from a sniper. I've taken hits to the head before but this was something else. I normally wear Advancer or Mesh glasses, wire face shield and a Baseball cap (Camo of course). As I was using my new VSR I had my cap on backward and the shooter made a superb shot dead centre on my forehead! Felt like I'd been hit by a bloody brick! Anyways, on my way home I realized I had a golf ball sized lump and a splitting headache! Looking back on it I think I had concussion! Not very nice...

So out of this I noticed several things, my advancer eye pro doesn't fit snug around my nose (I have a big hooter) and TBH I don't want to take a hit like that in the ear or any other orafice!

Can I start a "What do you guys use" thread? I prefer the see through facehugging style glasses and I'm looking at getting one of those mesh face masks that covers my ears. Also I will be using a gopro mounted on a FAST helmet so hopefully that'll be a good combo?

• Supporters

get a helmet then

might not look so cool n barebones but f*ck how I look

I like my teeth where they are protected by a full face mask

and my head unscathed - times I bashed/scraped my way through bush/branches

banged it on low bits of timber/walls not to mention feeling the odd crack from headshots & calling myself out

pit helmet or better looking fast helmet is what many wear - oops soz saw you getting fast helmet

masks are down to what fits & if you wear glasses/contacts for playing

I wear mesh goggles. Like yourself I've got a wide bridge of my nose, so I had to tweak them a bit (removed the foam padding, filed the shape a bit and refitted the foam). I used to wear some fairly biggish mesh goggles, but swapped them recently with the smaller pair, which were the ones that needed a bit of a tweek to fit well. Normally I wear them with a mesh lower face mask, and I also wear a PASGT helmet (the bigger mesh goggles were a bit of a tight fit with the helmet on, hence the switch to a smaller pair of mesh goggles).

However, the other day I bought a cloth lower face mask which can be partially opened via press studs to enable you take a drink. Not skirmished with that yet, but will be doing so soon. I hate lower face protection, but I don't want to get a tooth shot out (and I've seen that happen a lot), so lower face pro it is. Just hope that material one does the job, since it is a bit less claustrophobic than the mesh one.

The PASGT helmet does a good job of stopping hits, but I may swap it for a more modern type to which I can attach side pieces because I did get a BB hit down my ear whilst wearing that PASGT helmet a while back, and whilst it did no damage, it wasn't a pleasant experience.

I do also have one of those cheapish psuedo gas masks with the fan in it, but even though I reinforced the way the perspex eye bits fit into it, I'm not entirely happy with the way it fits on me and the way it restricts vision, so I've never skirmished with it.

Thanks for the super quick replies! I've bought myself a pair of Bolle' Cobra's (I have some anti fog motorbike helmet spray) which will aid in sweat clearance. I was thinking of a neoprene face cover, I know they're not ideal and were meant to be used under a mesh face mask. I did think of the fencing style mask but I can't BLOODY stand the fact I can't look through my sight properly!

I also have been considering the Wiley X goggles, they have that bit of nose protection which will make the difference in my case but are so damn big!

• Supporters

this:
4F621842-43EF-4EA3-9EAC-8992CF729FFA.jpg

plus this:
IMG_1568.jpg

100% head protection, chuck a scarf on and your neck is covered as well.

The goggles are a set of ESS profile turbofans with a 'sansei' style lower trimmed and cable tied on. Helmet is a repro crye airframe, but a fast style helmet will work just as well, Peltor Comtac headphones on arc rail adapters protect ears from BBs and loud noises.

Here's my set up.

I use mesh goggles being a sweaty git so no fogging, face wise I wear a mask to compliment the mesh goggles, this covers all of my face & ears and then I wear a fast helmet as I've been twatted in the forehead a few times.

It may be a bit of an overkill for some, but for me it gives me confidence & I'm find i'm always willing to charge face on in battle.

I've recently bought a Go Pro with mount which fits in the fast helmet with no issues.

post-9923-0-25366900-1421944012_thumb.jpg

post-9923-0-82787200-1421944017_thumb.jpg

Here's my set up.

I use mesh goggles being a sweaty git so no fogging, face wise I wear a mask to compliment the mesh goggles, this covers all of my face & ears and then I wear a fast helmet as I've been twatted in the forehead a few times.

It may be a bit of an overkill for some, but for me it gives me confidence & I'm find i'm always willing to charge face on in battle.

I've recently bought a Go Pro with mount which fits in the fast helmet with no issues.

attachicon.gifMM1.jpg

attachicon.gifMM2.jpg

I'm pretty much going for the same settup, I also have the NVG Go Pro mount so it's fairly stable on the FAST Helmet. I'm going to try the Bolle' Cobra goggles though, I've sprayed them with anti fog spray (The stuff you put on motorbike helmet visors). I can't stand mesh although it's what I've used up till now as it works!

I just wear a camo baseball cap which I have so far found to keep the sun out of my eyes and so far has provided excellent protection from getting hit in the head. I have taken quite a few on the forehead and so far none of them has left a mark through the cap, if anything I would say its a bit too good because I barely feel them. Having seen BBs bounce off helmets and the owner not notice due to other noises I myself am quite cautious with adding hard armour to myself through which I wont feel a hit. it might look cool but it also frustrates your opponents when they ping off it and you don't call it because you can't feel it.

• Supporters

I've just bought an FMA BJ helmet as I too am sick of getting hit in that little D shaped hole in my baseball cap. I mostly play CQB so it's all close range and getting a bit sore!

Shouldn't think I'll struggle to hear rounds hitting it though.

• Supporters

it's very noticeable when a BB hits your helmet!

Fnarrr!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.