AK choices...

DEF

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looking to get myself an AK as a backup backup backup and currently 2 options leading the field:

1. APS ASK201A AK-74 (EBB)

Or

2. Cyma 048

Any thoughts or recommendations from the great collective?

Aps don't have the best rep, so i'd go with Cyma, other than that, a G&P tactical AK combat looks nice or a Beta project AK or what ever other names it's got: JG mag k, Echo 1 OCW etc, etc.

If ya don't wanna spend much on the backup, just any old regular cyma AK will do fine.

Cyma after getting the spring changed. They're built like tanks!

They usually are hit or miss with their weapons, but they really nailed their AK range. One of the few times you'll see a "cheap"/budget brand be recommended over a more pricey brand that has a better track record.

• Supporters

Are cyma a good brand? I thought because they were cheap they wouldn't be the best brand.

Never EVER buy a CYMA M4. Ever.

The AKs and M14s though are generally excellent value for money. The lower model number AKs are TM clones so have more plastic parts the CM40 models and above are VFC clones so are all metal and wood and built well. Don't let the price fool you. Excellent guns.

• Supporters

The lower model number AKs are TM clones so have more plastic parts the CM40 models and above are VFC clones so are all metal and wood and built well.

I've seen a couple of discussions on different forums saying that not all the 040 series are VFC clones. For instance: http://forum.mnairsoft.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38937

Also found this one from here: http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/21907-cyma-ak-vfc-or-tm-based/

Are cyma a good brand? I thought because they were cheap they wouldn't be the best brand.

As others have noted, for certain models of guns they are okay. Particularly their Kalashnikovs, which are very decent, especially for the price. Their CM048 is a very nice model, and you'll be hard pressed to find any other AK which is as accurate or as reliable straight out of the box. CYMA's M14 is also an excellent airsoft weapon, much overlooked by people.

CYMA's M4s are allegedly not as good, although I do know a couple of players who've got them and swear by them, but since I hear more opinions saying they are not so good, I'd say steer clear of them, particularly when there are other M4s available for the same money which are better, most notably G&G, although ironically, when it comes to G&G, everyone recommends their M4s but says to steer clear of the AKs, so they are kind of a mirror image of CYMA.

So yeah, the CYMA AK is a good choice.

• Supporters

Think a lot of APS problems is down to switch/trigger problems

the trigger itself has a slightly longer "lug" than most others

(talking about APS M4 trigger btw - not got a APS v3 box yet)

my own M4 APS is fine on auto but a little iffy on semi sometimes - common problem but fixable

shame coz APS quick change box is very nice but needs improving on trigger switch area

(google it but I will sort it properly on next overhaul - poxy f**king switch)

CYMA are to AK's what G&G are to M4's - they are very good even the cheaper models are decent £ for £

even out the box they perform well compared to other makes

only got cheap 28a but very happy (I like easy battery change in stock)

can't comment on others makes but very pleased with my Cyma AK's (& G&G M4's)

Done! The CYMA arrived today, and damn but it looks and feels good. Can't wait to get out and skirmish now...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.